Star Clipper Clothing?

RMS Olympic

Just got my ticket fot the Clipper sailing 12/5.

Can anyone tell me what the appropriate attire is for the Captains party (if there is one)?

I am not sure whether to bring a suit or jacket.

Also, should all my funds be switched over to Euros? Or are US dollars OK.

You definitely will NOT need a suit. The only dress requirement for gentlemen in the dining room is long pants and a collared shirt. I believe some men wore jackets (often without tie), but it is not necessary.

Re Euros, the ship will open an account for you that you pay at the end with a credit card. In all the Caribbean ports (I am assuming that is where you are going?) everyone takes dollars -- and of course, credit cards!

We have taken the Star Flyer in Thailand and will be taking the Royal Clipper in Jan. Let me know if you have further questions.

• 10 months later...
We are going on the 22nd, and also the 29th, so I guess we will miss you. Too bad, as it is nice to get to know someone before sailing!

Hello MPfund

We saw a special on travelzoo and on the spur of the moment have signed up for the 22 of Jan on the Royal as well

Can't say I am an experienced cruiser - but love sailing - look forward to meeting you and the others

Greg & Marg

Kinsgville Canada

Re Euros, the ship will open an account for you that you pay at the end with a credit card. In all the Caribbean ports (I am assuming that is where you are going?) everyone takes dollars -- and of course, credit cards!

True for many but not all Caribbean ports. We did run into places on some of the smaller French islands where dollars and credit cards weren't taken. Generally the largest tourist shops would take credit cards at least, but some of the smaller places didn't - like a small grocery store where we picked up a snack and a street vendor where my friend bought a painting.

Euros were easy to obtain from an ATM machine so it wasn't a problem. You don't need a lot of Euros.

• 2 weeks later...
You definitely will NOT need a suit. The only dress requirement for gentlemen in the dining room is long pants and a collared shirt. I believe some men wore jackets (often without tie), but it is not necessary.

We have taken the Star Flyer in Thailand and will be taking the Royal Clipper in Jan. Let me know if you have further questions.

We are going to Thailand on Nov. 26. This is our first sailing experience ever and we are wondering just what exactly do we need in terms of clothing for the dinners. Does my husband need to bring nice dress shoes to wear with long pants and a collared shirt? Do I need to take many pairs of shoes to wear with nice sundresses/pants? I'm just wondering about the shoes because I'm not sure what width the stairs will be and how hard it will be to manage getting around on a sailing vessel the size of Star Flyer. I'm not talking about stilleto heels here, just do I need a pair or two of nicer shoes other than my Keenes and sandals? Thanks in advance for any other info you could pass our way regarding attire as well as what islands/shore excursions we should not miss.

Neither you nor your husband need any special, dressy shoes. I think the only footwear that might not be appropriate in the dining room would be rubber flip flops! Even socks (for men) are not necessary. My husband often wore canvas deck shoes and did not feel out of place. Re women's shoes, although I did see some women in elegant, stiletto heel type shoes, I (and many others) wore either flat sandals or low heeled sandals. The stairs are normal (not ladder type), but it is a sailing ship and I would not trust myself in high heels.

Re excursions, it has been a while, but as I recall we did all of them and only thought James Bond Island was not worth it.

If you have any time in Phuket, check out the street stalls for loose, drawstring pants in vivid patterns -- very cheap and perfect for the ship.

Feel free to ask any questions! We loved our trip and highly recommend Star Flyer.

Thanks for your reply, mpfund. We are going to be spending 4 nights in Bangkok at the front of our trip and 2 nights in Singapore at the back end. Did you go to either of these places? I'm interested in getting some Thai silk. Were you able to do any shopping on any of the islands as you sailed down the coast? I've spoken with a rep. from the Star Clipper line about our itinerary and how it might have been affected by the tsunami of last year. The rep said that they would avoid any place that was not satisfactorally up to their standards. From what I can tell, the Star Clipper line is very reputable and we should have no worries about our itinerary. Did you have any problems with motion sickness? If so, what did you use to help with the condition? We have not received our documents for the trip, so I imagine that a lot of our questions will be answered when we get them. Do you wear shorts and swimsuits most of the time during the day? We are in an inside cabin and we have been told that we will be spending most of our time on deck, so an inside cabin is ok. Do you agree? I know we will be able to establish credit on the ship, but what about an amount of money that we should take with us or should we just use the ATMs in Thailand and Singapore? Any other tips about shopping or scams or what to bring would be greatly appreciated. Is there a luggage limit for the Star Flyer? What is it about the Star Flyer that makes you say that you loved it?

I've been to both Bangkok and Singapore. The shopping in Bangkok is just terrific. I can't tell you specifically about Thai silk, but if you ask the concierge at your hotel, he/she can certainly advise you where to go. You might think about the Jim Thompson house -- a combination museum and shop (he was instrumental in promoting Thai silk) that is just fascinating. I've found Singapore to be rather dull, with poor shopping, but the food at the night hawker centers is not to be missed -- particularly chili crab.

Re shopping on your trip, we did a slightly different itinerary -- N. and S. route, but looking at your itinerary I don't think you will find much in the way of shopping opportunities, with the possible exception of Malacca, with which I am not familiar.

I do not suffer from motion sickness. I have heard the wristbands work well, and I can recommend that if you feel ill, try to get on deck, in the fresh air, rather than the stale air of a cabin. You mentioned that you are in an inside cabin. I would recommend an outside, only because with a window you get natural light, which is nice in the morning and also during brief returns to your cabin during the day. As you said, you will spend most of your time on deck, but an inside can feel a bit claustrophobic and I would go for a window. However, this is not a deal breaker!

During the day you will want to wear cotton rather than synthetics. The climate is hot and very humid and you will change clothes often. The ship has a very good laundry service, and while they do not iron, everything I sent out came back perfectly wearable.

Regarding cash to take with you, that is difficult to advise. Certainly take cash for tipping your room steward and anyone else you wish on board. You will need cash if you buy souvenirs or items at local markets. In Bangkok and Singapore you can use credit cards at major tourist stores. While we did not use ATM's I think you will be fine with them in major cities.

I don't think there is a luggage limit on Star Clipper, but I doubt they can store empty suitcases and the cabins are small. Do try to travel light -- no one on board cares what you wear -- that is one of the joys of Star Clippers! The commadarie of the passengers and crew, the totally non-structured experience, being on a true sailing ship (you can climb the mast if you wish), the choice to dine alone or with others (just tell the maitre d' when you go to dinner), the interesting mix of passengers -- these are some of the reasons we love Star Clippers and have sailed with her several times and plan more in the future.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Archived