Champagne Reef

wadecruiser

Thanks for the advice!! I am getting SO super excited!!!!!:D

Any additional advice for after Champagne? Some place to get some Champagne? (ok, that was cheesy) Any fun bar huts to hit? basically anything you think, I'd appreciate! :)

We went to Screws Sulpher Spa first and had some beer and he had complimentary fresh fruit-very good, then after Champagne reef we got out downtown did a couple of things and went back to the ship.

Sorry but I need a little clarification. Is the taxi $20 EACH? DH and I are traveling with our 2 sons (12 and 15) and I want to clarify if they will charge us $20 per person in the cab.

TIA:)

We rented the taxi for the day and paid $80, we divided it up among 4 of us. Some taxi drivers started at $200 for the day. we kept walking and made a deal. Never pay higher

Thanks for the advice!! I am getting SO super excited!!!!!:D

Any additional advice for after Champagne? Some place to get some Champagne? (ok, that was cheesy) Any fun bar huts to hit? basically anything you think, I'd appreciate! :)

You can get a map in the tourism office in front of the ship a little to the right. Then go down the street that runs infront on the ship going along side of the trourism shop. Then you can bargain with taxi drivers on what you want to do. We look at what the cruise has to offer then decide. If you get another couple it saves $$. On cruise critic go to the island destination and reads the reviews there of what people do. We have been to Dominica so many times and got tired of seeing the same thing. We REALLY LOVED spending the time at Champagne Reef, then walked back to the office where we paid, they have a deli bar type of place and had a couple of beers. Our driver took us to a couple of places we did not know about on our trip. Get the lady to do the snorkel tour with you for $5 ea. she was great. Told us what we were looking at, we snorkel alot but saw items we have not seen before. She took a hollow plastic tube and went to the bottom and filled it with the hot water coming from the floor of the ocean and it really was hot--that is where the bubbles come from. You can change there and leave your things safely with them. I alwys keep a plastic container that is waterproof and on a cord around my neck with credit cards and room keys. Got it at a dive shop, have seen them also at tourist shops. Maybe Dicks sporting goods has them. Very useful.

We just returned from our Caribbean Princess cruise & booked a tour w/ info from this site. You can take an island tour that includes this beach or get a taxi @ the ship upon arrival for direct trans to beach/reef. The pricing @ Champagne Beach is a little ticky, tacky. You can bring your own gear or rent their's, but either way they want u to buy a ticket to snorkel. We didn't snorkel & wanted to walk the beach. Initially they tried to make us buy a ticket, but didn't. Our tour stopped @ the Emerald Pool & the Traflager Falls. Each site requires an add'l $5/ea ticket & this doesn't include the use of the restrooms...yep, that's extra 2! The people who snorkled had postive comments, but eberyone said Bonaire is the best by far.

We just returned from our Caribbean Princess cruise & booked a tour w/ info from this site. You can take an island tour that includes this beach or get a taxi @ the ship upon arrival for direct trans to beach/reef. The pricing @ Champagne Beach is a little ticky, tacky. You can bring your own gear or rent their's, but either way they want u to buy a ticket to snorkel. We didn't snorkel & wanted to walk the beach. Initially they tried to make us buy a ticket, but didn't. Our tour stopped @ the Emerald Pool & the Traflager Falls. Each site requires an add'l $5/ea ticket & this doesn't include the use of the restrooms...yep, that's extra 2! The people who snorkled had postive comments, but eberyone said Bonaire is the best by far.

Champagne Reef charges a $2 entrance fee because is a national park, similar to national parks here in the US. They do charge for snorkel gear, as does every other beach in the Caribbean. In my opinion and that of our group of 12 friends, the snorkeling was very good. Due to the underwater thermal areas, tiny bubbles come up out of the ocean floor and attract many colorful fish. There are also working bathrooms where you can change and a nice deck that looks out on the water. You can purchase sodas, water and beer at a very reasonable rate. We have been in 2008 & 9 and will return again in 2010.

In Bonnaire we ended up at a beach suggested by numerous CC posters. It turned out to be a dead reef and the fish were not abundant. I guess it's all peronal opinion but I loved Champagne. Happy Cruising, Kaboochi

In Bonnaire we ended up at a beach suggested by numerous CC posters. It turned out to be a dead reef and the fish were not abundant. I guess it's all peronal opinion but I loved Champagne. Happy Cruising, Kaboochi

Which beach was that with the dead reef?

Hi!. We are taking the trip to snorkel at Champagne Reef also. I am not the strongest swimmer. Can anyone tell me how deep is the water? I am wondering whether I should take a snorkeling vest or not?

Thanks, Debbi

Hi!. We are taking the trip to snorkel at Champagne Reef also. I am not the strongest swimmer. Can anyone tell me how deep is the water? I am wondering whether I should take a snorkeling vest or not?

Thanks, Debbi

Debbi, My suggestion is to bring one. It is rather shallow when you first get in but it drops off quickly. You'll love the reef and have a blast if you can use the vest so that you can just float and look at the fish. Have fun, Kaboochi

Debbi, My suggestion is to bring one. It is rather shallow when you first get in but it drops off quickly. You'll love the reef and have a blast if you can use the vest so that you can just float and look at the fish. Have fun, Kaboochi

If you are going there in a taxi, they rent them. You pay $2 each to go into the National Park area, it is not a fee to snorkel. They rent all equipment that yu would need, have changing rooms, etc. snacks, drinks and beer. They rent life vests. If you go on a tour, the tour provides them. Have a great time it is some of the best snorkeling you can do, besides St. Thomas.

If you are going there in a taxi, they rent them. You pay $2 each to go into the National Park area, it is not a fee to snorkel. They rent all equipment that yu would need, have changing rooms, etc. snacks, drinks and beer. They rent life vests. If you go on a tour, the tour provides them. Have a great time it is some of the best snorkeling you can do, besides St. Thomas.

Thanks to you and Kaboochi for the info. I will rent a vest so I can relax and enjoy. So looking forward to it!

Thanks again, Debbi

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to post here to say how much I enjoyed Champagne Reef. We got off the boat as soon as we docked around 7:30, got a cab and my husband and I went there with another couple. We told him we had to be back at 9 am to take the Antours River Tubing tour so we got there in about 15 mins., snorkeled for an hour and came back. He waited for us. I'm so glad we did this, we loved the snorkeling and it was worth going for even this short of time. I wasn't sure we would be able to get it done before our other tour, but it can be done!!! Just wanted to let others know, don't miss it!

• 1 month later...

I think we might "wing it" w/ the taxi over to Champagne Reef and rent the snorkeling gear.

I know it's $2/person to enter the park and $5/person for the woman to give us the snorkel tour ... but does anyone know how much the snorkel gear and vest (for not a strong swimmer) would rent for?

Also, it seems that the park is a short distance from the pier ... but I assume that it's not walkable even for those who enjoy a walk ... is that correct?

Thanks!

I think we might "wing it" w/ the taxi over to Champagne Reef and rent the snorkeling gear.

I know it's $2/person to enter the park and $5/person for the woman to give us the snorkel tour ... but does anyone know how much the snorkel gear and vest (for not a strong swimmer) would rent for?

Also, it seems that the park is a short distance from the pier ... but I assume that it's not walkable even for those who enjoy a walk ... is that correct?

Thanks!

We have been at the reef in 2008 and 2009 and love it. The walk to the snorkeling area is VERY easy. You will walk down about 15 steps at most, and then it is about a 75 yard walk on flat dirt. I am 52 and I did not need a vest, the salt water kept me afloat. Throw your own snorkel and mask in you luggage and rent the fins. I found out that my snorkel was broken when I enter the water. I did not have a vest or fins and I did just fine with only my mask, However without having the snorkel I could not keep my face under the water for too long. It really is a nice, quiet place to snorkel and the fish are very numerous and pretty. On the way back, walk along the rocks, you will find tons of beach glass. There are bathrooms and bar to toast with a cold brew for your day at Champagne! Enjoy. I hope this helps, Kaboochi

We have been at the reef in 2008 and 2009 and love it. The walk to the snorkeling area is VERY easy. You will walk down about 15 steps at most, and then it is about a 75 yard walk on flat dirt. I am 52 and I did not need a vest, the salt water kept me afloat. Throw your own snorkel and mask in you luggage and rent the fins. I found out that my snorkel was broken when I enter the water. I did not have a vest or fins and I did just fine with only my mask, However without having the snorkel I could not keep my face under the water for too long. It really is a nice, quiet place to snorkel and the fish are very numerous and pretty. On the way back, walk along the rocks, you will find tons of beach glass. There are bathrooms and bar to toast with a cold brew for your day at Champagne! Enjoy. I hope this helps, Kaboochi

Thanks for your post. I think I didn't phrase my 2nd question correctly tho ... I meant to ask how far the Champagne Beach/Reef park is from the cruise pier/port area ... and if this is walkable. So sorry for the confusion.

Also, we unfortunately will not be bringing our snorkel stuff (esp. since I don't have any :D) and like to pack light. So we'd prefer to rent ... but was hoping the price isn't too high.

Thanks!

We went there in March, it is not walkable. Walk straight off of the ship and go past the touris info bldg. Get a taxi driver past the first ones who want way too much money. We wanted to go to Screws Spa and then to Champagne Reef and there were 4 of us. It is a distance to the Spa and then over to the reef. We paid our taxi $20 each total and had a ball. He took us to a couple of other places after he explained them to us. The Spa was great and they gave us fresh fruit which was wonderful. It rained a little while in the Spa but was fine. We took our tour in our suit and had our towels with us. We had a beer and dried off a little and then off to the reef. We had been there before, but the lady that works there took us on a tour for $5 ea and dit was GREAT. She explained the reef and various things that we saw. She took a plastic tube, went to the bottom and captured hot water coming out from the volcano and brought it up for us to feel from the tube as she poured it out. We got so much more from her info than 2 tours previously done there from a boat. We walked off of the shore into the water.

Thanks for your post. I think I didn't phrase my 2nd question correctly tho ... I meant to ask how far the Champagne Beach/Reef park is from the cruise pier/port area ... and if this is walkable. So sorry for the confusion.

Also, we unfortunately will not be bringing our snorkel stuff (esp. since I don't have any :D) and like to pack light. So we'd prefer to rent ... but was hoping the price isn't too high.

I can't remember the price but do remember it was reasonable. There were several people rent snorkey and scuba gear there. Enjoy you will love it and walking into the water is very easy. They built a new wooden walkway over the rocks to where you go in. I highly recommend that you wear water shoes as it is rough getting into the water, that was the only thing uncomfortable to me. I shuld have put them on before starting to walk into the water, and yes it is advisable to wear one of their water life vests. It was a little rough and one of my adult daughters had a little bit of trouble with the roughness, she put one on then.

I can't remember the price but do remember it was reasonable. There were several people rent snorkey and scuba gear there. Enjoy you will love it and walking into the water is very easy. They built a new wooden walkway over the rocks to where you go in. I highly recommend that you wear water shoes as it is rough getting into the water, that was the only thing uncomfortable to me. I shuld have put them on before starting to walk into the water, and yes it is advisable to wear one of their water life vests. It was a little rough and one of my adult daughters had a little bit of trouble with the roughness, she put one on then.

Thank you for all your info ... we're really looking forward to this now!

Once you're in the water - is it a long swim to reach the reef/bubbles? Thanks!

It was almost immediate. It is very easy but I would recommend using their life vest if you tire easily. There might be just a little roughness. I did not have trouble but my daughter had a littoe trouble she got tired..

It was almost immediate. It is very easy but I would recommend using their life vest if you tire easily. There might be just a little roughness. I did not have trouble but my daughter had a littoe trouble she got tired..

Do you think a non-swimmer and/or a 6 year old (swimmer) could handle this snorkel by just floating using the life vest?

I think it depends on your comfort level in the water. Have you snorkeled before using the vest to float? The day we were there it was quite calm, there wasn't any surge that I can remember except for where it gets shallow along the shore then you have the typical wave action, but no breakers or anything like that. There is a lot to see close to the shore so you wouldn't have to go very far, in case you get tired. It wouldn't be far to kick back to shore, especially with snorkel fins.

I think it depends on your comfort level in the water. Have you snorkeled before using the vest to float? The day we were there it was quite calm, there wasn't any surge that I can remember except for where it gets shallow along the shore then you have the typical wave action, but no breakers or anything like that. There is a lot to see close to the shore so you wouldn't have to go very far, in case you get tired. It wouldn't be far to kick back to shore, especially with snorkel fins.

Thanks for your info ... it sounds like we should be ok ... depending on the day :D

Archived