Champagne Reef

wadecruiser

we went there a few years ago, took the ship's excursion I can't recall the company but it was amazing!You have to get there by boat - it is not a "walk in" type area. The bubbles were so neat, very warm, it was one of my favorite snorkle trips, also dolphins followed us out there which was cool

If I take a taxi to the reef, do other taxis come by frequently to take people back? My thinking is I can see the outside of the island sailing in and out on Victory, so the taxi ride will give my family a look at the interior a bit.

If I take a taxi to the reef, do other taxis come by frequently to take people back? My thinking is I can see the outside of the island sailing in and out on Victory, so the taxi ride will give my family a look at the interior a bit.

For about $20pp you can get a taxi for the entire day. 2 hours is plenty at Champagne Reef and will give you plenty of time to see Trafalger Falls, Emeral Pool and more. It really is a beautiful island and the rain forest is spectacular. The drivers are proud of Dominica and will give you a good tour. We did this last year and will again on 2/3/09. Enjoy. I hope this helped.

Are there also taxis for 5 people? This seems to be a good alternative to a guided tour!

Looking forward to the carribbean in april with the summit!

Greetings from a very foggy Vienna/Austria!

Yes there are!!!!

We did Summit last year - FANTASTIC, enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
I am a bit confused. The original post says you must take a boat to get there but others say you can get a taxi there for $20.pp for the day. Is there beach there also? Do you snorkel from the beach? Which is correct?

The beach at Champagne is rocky- no sand. You can snorkel from the beach. It is not a beach for laying in the sand and sunning however

As I said in a prior post, we did Champagne Reef last year and it was well worth it. We went by van but we did see a boat off shore with snorkelers. THere is no way to dock. If you go by taxi, you pay $2.00 to enter, walk about 200 hundred yards, at most on a dirt path that is totally flat, to the area where you enter the water to snorkel. The shoreline is lined with small rocks so there is no place to sit and tan. Due to the rocks, they have placed a rubber ramp on top of them so you can easily get into the water. It just is laid over the small rocks. The fish are very pretty, abundant, and there is a fun underwater thermal area where you can see the bubble coming up from the sand. It also makes the water warm.

Our group ranges from experienced divers to once a year snorkelers and we all enjoyed it: So much so that we are returning to this same spot next week on our Victory 2/1 cruise. Be jealous!!!!!!!!!

In addition to the snorkeling they have a small bar where you can get snacks, beers and waters, and there are working bathrooms that are very clean. If you walk the shoreline and not the path back to the entrance, there are some nice shells and a lot of very colorful beach glass, not just the standard green we collect on our hometown beaches. I hope this helped. Happy Cruising, Kaboochi

• 2 weeks later...
As I said in a prior post, we did Champagne Reef last year and it was well worth it. We went by van but we did see a boat off shore with snorkelers. THere is no way to dock. If you go by taxi, you pay $2.00 to enter, walk about 200 hundred yards, at most on a dirt path that is totally flat, to the area where you enter the water to snorkel. The shoreline is lined with small rocks so there is no place to sit and tan. Due to the rocks, they have placed a rubber ramp on top of them so you can easily get into the water. It just is laid over the small rocks. The fish are very pretty, abundant, and there is a fun underwater thermal area where you can see the bubble coming up from the sand. It also makes the water warm.

Our group ranges from experienced divers to once a year snorkelers and we all enjoyed it: So much so that we are returning to this same spot next week on our Victory 2/1 cruise. Be jealous!!!!!!!!!

In addition to the snorkeling they have a small bar where you can get snacks, beers and waters, and there are working bathrooms that are very clean. If you walk the shoreline and not the path back to the entrance, there are some nice shells and a lot of very colorful beach glass, not just the standard green we collect on our hometown beaches. I hope this helped. Happy Cruising, Kaboochi

How far was it and cost of taxi?

Are there also taxis for 5 people? This seems to be a good alternative to a guided tour!

Looking forward to the carribbean in april with the summit!

Greetings from a very foggy Vienna/Austria!

Hi stephi. We're also on for Summit in April from the 4'th on a 7 nighter. That's the reason I've crashed this thread. Lot's of great advice on the snorkleing.

Thanks to everyones input here. We're booked with Baaron (yes, 2 a's). Looking really forward to the trip. The Bavarian weather is a bummer this year! Snow, rain, lot's of mud, then snow, rain etc....

Have fun folks, and sorry for the crash!

Welcome to our group. Are you sailing March 1st, if so we have our Meet and Greet Sun the 1st in the Black and Red Sea Lounge at 8 PM. If you have any questions, just ask Jim and I (Mary) have been to the Caribbean many times. Just trying to do new things this time.

Both you can take a snorkeling expedition and get into the water from the boat, or take a taxi to the area and walk in. No sandy beach but you can snorkel from there and there is a small place to get snacks, drinks and clean bathroom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi--several mentioned that you can get a taxi for a full day for $20 pp. This will be my first cruise and first time in the caribbean, so forgive my ignorance: Do you just walk up to a taxi near the port and ask to hire him for the day (and then he waits for you while you are snorkling or hiking/etc)? This will work for only 2 people?

Thanks!

Hi--several mentioned that you can get a taxi for a full day for $20 pp. This will be my first cruise and first time in the caribbean, so forgive my ignorance: Do you just walk up to a taxi near the port and ask to hire him for the day (and then he waits for you while you are snorkling or hiking/etc)? This will work for only 2 people?

Thanks!

Be sure to come to the Meet & Greet Sunday on Victory in San Juan at 8PM in the Red and Black Sea Lounge. The Muster drills is at approximately 9 PM. I spoke with Carnival and set it up, there will be a cash bar. Children are welcome, they are allowed in bars on the ship.

We are hiring a taxi and goind to Screws Sulpher Spa near the volcano I think, and then we are having him take us to Champagne Reef and wait for us. Be sure to have water shoes as the beach has rocks, not a sandy beach. You will love the snorkeling there over the bubbles. Bring dog biscuits to feed the fish and they will come right to you.

San Juan time is one hour ahead of Eastern time, change your watches and everyone come. There will be many Veteran Cruisers that will be able to maby answer most of your questions. Maybe at that time we might want to set up a time later in the week to meet again to update what is happening?? Can decide Sunday!! Only 6 DAYS and 14 HOURS to go!

• 4 weeks later...

We snorkeled at Champagne Reef on Mar 5th. Two updates...there's quite a nice boardwalk built over the rocks that leads to the far end of the beach (the snorkeling area)...built, I'm proud to say by CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency)...now there's a use of my tax money that I approve of! And...there is, at the end of the beach, where you would enter the water, a couple of (small) sandy areas, and a few larger rocks that people could sit on, should they wish. I just walked into the water from the sandy area...no rubber mats (at the moment). I think Levi said it was due to a recent storm.

Great snorkeling! The bubbles are really something!

I was wondering if there is any snorkeling gear for rent near the snack bar and bathrooms?

Also trying to get an idea about taxing to the reef. Do most people have a taxi wait for them while they snorkel?

Thanks!!!

We hired a taxi for the day, 4 of us at $20 ea. We first went to Screws Sulpher Spa and then to Champagne Reef. It was $2 ea to enter the national park of Champagne Reef. They have changing rooms, bathrooms, snacks, drinks and rent gear. The lady that worked there did a snorkel tour for us at $5 ea it was great. They have gear for rent, snorkel and dive gear. You walk on a new wooden walkway to the small beach area to go into the water. The beach is small rocks and you can sit on large rocks. Not a typical beach. Have fun it is great.

Archived