Champagne Reef

wadecruiser

Do you think a non-swimmer and/or a 6 year old (swimmer) could handle this snorkel by just floating using the life vest?

Yes absolutely you can snorkel anywhere in the Caribbean with a vest. We have seen many children including our own, and non swimmers snorkel. My daughter is now teaching her 5 yr. old daughter to snorkel and she absolutely loves it.

Yes absolutely you can snorkel anywhere in the Caribbean with a vest. We have seen many children including our own, and non swimmers snorkel. My daughter is now teaching her 5 yr. old daughter to snorkel and she absolutely loves it.

We thought so ... but it's always good to have confirmation. Thanks!

We're even thinking about going to Titou Gorge ... b/c we were told the same thing about that too :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am doing another excursion, will be done at 3:30, ship leaves at 6:00 so have 2 hours (plus room for error). I want to catch a cab to Champagne Reef (we have our own snorkel gear) for 2 adults and 2 kids, snorkel for about 30 minutes, then come back. How long would this take and how much do you think is fair for the cab ride? I am thinking it is less than 2 hours, end of the day so should be dead time for the cabs...$40-$50?

I am doing another excursion, will be done at 3:30, ship leaves at 6:00 so have 2 hours (plus room for error). I want to catch a cab to Champagne Reef (we have our own snorkel gear) for 2 adults and 2 kids, snorkel for about 30 minutes, then come back. How long would this take and how much do you think is fair for the cab ride? I am thinking it is less than 2 hours, end of the day so should be dead time for the cabs...$40-$50?

Planotex, cab is much less, but you will definitely take 2 hours to get there, snorkel and them come and back. Honestly, if the excursion ends on time you are still cutting it close. Pick the excursion or C reef. It's a vacation, doing both is too much pressure, if not for you, for the others in your group. Just my advice.

I have to agree, I don't think 2 hours is leaving you enough time to get out there, snorkel and get back in time. Traffic can get pretty bad in the downtown areas and you could end up stuck for longer than your 30 minutes 'time for error' margin. You haven't mentioned what your other excursion is, but might I suggest finding another one that includes a stop at Champagne Reef? Maybe your current operator could fit that in, if it's not a huge group tour.

I have to agree, I don't think 2 hours is leaving you enough time to get out there, snorkel and get back in time. Traffic can get pretty bad in the downtown areas and you could end up stuck for longer than your 30 minutes 'time for error' margin. You haven't mentioned what your other excursion is, but might I suggest finding another one that includes a stop at Champagne Reef? Maybe your current operator could fit that in, if it's not a huge group tour.

We walked about two blocks away from the ship straight out and said we would pay $20 per person and we went to the volcano, Screws Spa (it was so much fun) and then to the Champagne Reef. When you start at the ship they want $200++ so keep walking and you will be able to negotiate. Good luck dont do this fo just one palce set it up for all that you want to see for LESS!! We have done it several times on this island.

• 2 weeks later...
We went there in March, it is not walkable. Walk straight off of the ship and go past the touris info bldg. Get a taxi driver past the first ones who want way too much money. We wanted to go to Screws Spa and then to Champagne Reef and there were 4 of us. It is a distance to the Spa and then over to the reef. We paid our taxi $20 each total and had a ball. He took us to a couple of other places after he explained them to us. The Spa was great and they gave us fresh fruit which was wonderful. It rained a little while in the Spa but was fine. We took our tour in our suit and had our towels with us. We had a beer and dried off a little and then off to the reef. We had been there before, but the lady that works there took us on a tour for $5 ea and dit was GREAT. She explained the reef and various things that we saw. She took a plastic tube, went to the bottom and captured hot water coming out from the volcano and brought it up for us to feel from the tube as she poured it out. We got so much more from her info than 2 tours previously done there from a boat. We walked off of the shore into the water.

We just came back from a cruise with Dominica on the the itinary. What an amazing island. We did some cool stuff in the rainforest but the highlight of the trip was Champagne Reef. The place with the snorkel gear and guides is called Irie Safari and we paid a very reasonable $19. for everything - gear,guides and entrance fee.

The equipment came with a vest which you blow up, which made me very comfortable in the water (I am not the strongest of swimmers).

Our guide was a young woman called Francisca who is a dive instructor(another comfort factor) who gave us what I call a sonrkel VIP tour.

she obviously knows the reef like the back of her hand and showed us all the cool fish, bubbles and we even saw a big turle which glided right past us. Doesn't get better than that.

Can't wait do go back

We just came back from a cruise with Dominica on the the itinary. What an amazing island. We did some cool stuff in the rainforest but the highlight of the trip was Champagne Reef. The place with the snorkel gear and guides is called Irie Safari and we paid a very reasonable $19. for everything - gear,guides and entrance fee.

The equipment came with a vest which you blow up, which made me very comfortable in the water (I am not the strongest of swimmers).

Our guide was a young woman called Francisca who is a dive instructor(another comfort factor) who gave us what I call a sonrkel VIP tour.

she obviously knows the reef like the back of her hand and showed us all the cool fish, bubbles and we even saw a big turle which glided right past us. Doesn't get better than that.

Can't wait do go back

Also they have dressing rooms and a shower. You can purchase snack food and drinks, inclusing beer. We loved it there, Francisca is really great! She knows the ocean.

Archived