When do YOU book?

novasonic

How do you book?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you book?

• Early
    • Late®
    • A mix of both..it depends!

With the American economy still "lukewarm" compared to it's former self, monetary concerns are rather important. I've seen a few threads about price reduction discussions and this kind of sparked my interested into how this situation influences spending habits.

Certainly, based on numerous personal accounts, cruise lines are feeling the impact of the mild economy, forcing them to make changes to the way they operate to maintain an adequate flow of revenue. I'm not sure whether or not these changes have manifested in actual cruise fare--I've not been involved long enough to consider pricing before and now, and the frequency of these incredible deals as of late.

But in any event, how does this affect the way you book? Do you book early, for security and control over your reservation? Or do you book late, to cash in on those crazy deals--and why? What aspects do you take into consideration when making these choices? I do realize that the issue in question is a bit complicated in the sense that there are a large number of variables, but let's discuss them. :)

With the American economy still "lukewarm" compared to it's former self, monetary concerns are rather important. I've seen a few threads about price reduction discussions and this kind of sparked my interested into how this situation influences spending habits.

Certainly, based on numerous personal accounts, cruise lines are feeling the impact of the mild economy, forcing them to make changes to the way they operate to maintain an adequate flow of revenue. I'm not sure whether or not these changes have manifested in actual cruise fare--I've not been involved long enough to consider pricing before and now, and the frequency of these incredible deals as of late.

But in any event, how does this affect the way you book? Do you book early, for security and control over your reservation? Or do you book late, to cash in on those crazy deals--and why? What aspects do you take into consideration when making these choices? I do realize that the issue in question is a bit complicated in the sense that there are a large number of variables, but let's discuss them. :)

We try to book while on the cruise. That way we take advantage of the added OBC that is offered. By doing it this way you also secure the cabin of choice.

That is what we did last year and we are cruising at the end of this month. However a few month ago I found that a cabin that was a step above the one we booked had dropped in price for less than what we had booked ours for.

So I called the cruise line, Azarama and they switched the cabins and lowered my rate. So as long as you keep checking for price drops you will be entitled to the price reduction.

Also you have piece of mind to get what you want when you want it. That is why we book early. Hope this helps somewhat.:)

As of right now I'll likely not cruise again until 2010, or until the economy settles down, or I see some clarity in where it's going...

but otherwise, I have to book early, way early, as I need a handicap-accessible cabin, and they are in very short supply on all the cruise lines. And many times people who don't need them will book them, or their TA's will, and so they'll be gone early. And no, the cruise lines don't consistently require that anyone "proves" they need the accessible cabin; they just take people at their word. Anyway, this means I generally book 8-12 month out from when I intend to cruise.

I usually book about 6 months prior but on my last cruise is was nearly a year out. We travel during a holiday and not being able to see all available flights (JetBlue, Spirit, etc.) that soon was really nerve wracking.

On the last cruise in November, we got caught up in the rising fuel costs plus the holiday, and we paid almost double for the air fare. I like being able to book both the cruise and the air within a few days.

We only cruise once a year (by choice), so we tend to book while on board to take advantage of Princess's FCC policy. We usually have things sort of planned out about five years ahead as to where we'd like to go and then take it from there. This doesn't always entail a cruise, but usually there is water invovled at some point.

Sorry--how does booking onboard/using future cruise credits work? Does it offer pricing that is generally comparable to getting on one of those deals?

I'm a bit surprised that more people don't book later because of these reduced offerings. While the pricings are lower, you do lose that flexibility of preference (how much, I'm not so sure). But if you do book early, does the cruise line offer you some sorts of compensation for doing so? Maybe onboard credits, complimentary things or perhaps upgrades?

Price adjusting is a great thing--until it's after final payment (2 to 3 months before sailing?). I've read comments from people who now swear they won't book until after this timeframe. You win some, you lose some-I guess it's all about compromise. :p

I couldn't handle the stress of planning any vacation more than 3 or 4 months in advance. Yes, you read that right LOL I tend to spend too much time researching and planning the vacation, and more than 3 months would be a killer. We generally have a big trip at least twice a year. Usually, we are good for about 3-4 months after we get home from a trip, then the travel bug hits again and we are planning something new. Often, our decisions are made by deals we find. For example, Dec 07/Jan 08 we were in Seattle. Around March we got ansty and planned our trip to Sedona for June. In October, cabin fever set in and we booked this cruise. And that is a pretty typical year :D

We almost always book early---we like certain suites. Also book while onboard to get the OBC and then when we get home decide where we want to go. We just bk'd South Am. 14 day cruise half price sail with $700.00 OBC. It won't be til Mar.2010, but saved a few $$$ by doing it now.

Sorry--how does booking onboard/using future cruise credits work? Does it offer pricing that is generally comparable to getting on one of those deals?

I'm a bit surprised that more people don't book later because of these reduced offerings. While the pricings are lower, you do lose that flexibility of preference (how much, I'm not so sure). But if you do book early, does the cruise line offer you some sorts of compensation for doing so? Maybe onboard credits, complimentary things or perhaps upgrades?

Price adjusting is a great thing--until it's after final payment (2 to 3 months before sailing?). I've read comments from people who now swear they won't book until after this timeframe. You win some, you lose some-I guess it's all about compromise. :p

By doing this you pay a small deposit. You get OBC and you have the option to use a TA of your choice if you want you can change to another cruise of you choice. You also have piece of mind to get the cabin of you choice that you want to book. You are only granted this when you are cruising to get all of these things.

For some it works great and for others it is not for them.

If it's a longer cruise, and I really want a specific cabin I book as soon as cabins go on sale. I booked our TA as soon as the prices showed on Princess's website and then transferred it to my agent.

For our Alaskan cruise we got a last minute deal and booked about a month before sailing. However we couldn't get a balcony cabin, and we weren't happy with the location of our oceanview cabin. It was too far forward, and we learned that we'd rather chose a cabin than take a guarantee. It was still a great cruise!

It really depends. If its at my home port then i can be more lenient with the time frame and wait for sales. but for my current cruise, i waited to long and this huge sale passed before i was able to book my cruise, so i was unable to get a balcony room. so if your particular about your cabin, you may want to book early on.

Archived