Poll: What would you pay extra for?

Which of the following would you pay extra for (all are currently free)? Choose one.  

769 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you pay extra for (all are currently free)? Choose one.

• All-day lounge chair rental by the pool
    • Reserved front row seats in the show lounge
    • Priority room service delivery
    • Table for two in the main dining room
    • Priority disembarkation on port days
    • Multiple entrees or desserts at dinner
    • Late disembarkation on the last day of the cruise
    • In-room toiletry products
    • Something else -- I'll post below

People that use room service already give a tip, what in the devil are you charging for?

It seems there are comments coming from the younger crowd who are most likely the ones ordering room service betwee 1-5AM. It's very possible there is a fair amount of them that are not tippig at all. In all fairness to the ones doing the delivery, some may get a tip others not, maybe they've decicded on an across the board fee to include the non-tippers.

I don't have a problem with an added tip but $3.95 may be high for somethings. Just use the suggested amounts that are recommended now, $1-$3.

... Right now cruising is the most affordable vacation so if they start charging extra for any of the above list I'm sure people will find other ways to vacation. ;)

Not sure where you're from, but for us in southern Ontario, Canada, it's a pretty expensive vacation compared to an all-inclusive in Cuba or similar place like Dominican. Air Fare is a major expense on top of the cruising fees & taxes(which are over and above the cost of the cabin).

On our first cruise last year, we were shocked at the prices of alcohol; we even had to purchase a "pop card" or pay separately every time we wanted a cup of fountain pop from the bar areas. Every corner we turned, there seemed to be extra charges, or attempts to extricate further money from the passengers. Even seminars billed as "information for going ashore" were nothing more than blatant ploys to get you to purchase jewelry, etc. at the ports of call!!

Having said that, we loved the relaxing feeling of being aboard the ship and we truly felt pampered. We are taking two more cruises, but if the trend to charge "extras" and "nickle and dime" one to death continues, we will, sadly, abandon this form of spending our hard-earned vacation dollars.

My answer is None of the Above, because IMHO none of the options are worth extra money. Actually I can't think of anything I'd pay extra to have.

I agree with not picking any of the choices. Why give the cruiselines the idea that we are willing to pay for more things.

I agree with not picking any of the choices. Why give the cruiselines the idea that we are willing to pay for more things.

I agree, why give anybody any ideas. It will just cause the cruiseline to get extra $$ from your cruise.

I'm amazed that some checked they would PAY for late disembarkation on the last day. No one checks your luggage tag to see if you were supposed to be off already. All you need to do is find a comfortable place to sit and wait for the last call to disembark.;)

My answer to what I'd pay extra for: None of the above!

Isn't there enough nickel and diming going on already???

The pictures are overpriced, the drinks are overpriced, pay extra dining venues, overpriced excursions, etc.

Besides, like at least one other poster on this thread has mentioned, I'm already paying for some items that I rarely use and some I never use.

I LOVE to cruise, however, I also enjoyed our all inclusive vacation...where we EVERYTHING was included...including nicer restaurants as an option to a buffet, tips and alcohol. It depends on what you are looking for and your financial concerns/worth.

As far as the 3.95 late night charge on RCI? We never do late night room service, but I'll bet people will consider that the "tip." I hope the person delivering gets some of this money.

It appears the majority of folks who posted here say they won't pay for any of the above but almost 300 have indicated they are willing to pay for some of the things listed.

Personally, with some limitations, I'd pay to have a lounge chair waiting for me. It doesn't have to be right by the pool, it does need to be in the sun, and it must have space on both sides to allow easy access.

I wouldn't pay for any of the other things listed, but my DH & I really enjoy soaking up the sun. However, we don't enjoy crawling up the chair because they're jammed so tightly together and I don't like being in such close quarters with strangers so we haven't done much of that on our recent cruises.

I would consider paying for a lounge chair. Just because I usually spend my days by the pool. My ds is old enough to check himself out of the kids program, and he usually comes looking for me. If I am always in the same spot, it cuts down on walkie talkie use because he knows right where I am. When we go go to the local water park, we always rent a cabana just for this reason, and it makes meeting up so easy.

Just a thought...

Kim

Absolutely none of the above! Plus, if it ever gets to the point where everything becomes a la carte, I'll consider another form of vacationing. Enough of the nickel-and-diming customers already! :mad:

I agree with you 100%....next they will charge us to deliver our luggage to our room.

The only thing I would even think of considering paying extra for would be a table for two in the dining room if my husband and I were cruising by ourselves. The other things like front row seats at the show, all day lounge chair, etc. don't interest me so I wouldn't pay extra for them.

The $3.95 late-night room service charge doesn't affect me because we don't order room service from midnight - 5 a.m. anyway. And if we really, really wanted to order something during that time the charge wouldn't stop me from doing so. It would bother me if they added the $3.95 charge to all room service orders, no matter what time of day. Unless that includes the tip. But if that is just a "service charge" and you still need to tip, then it would bother me. We like to order room service breakfast to be delivered around 7:00 a.m. to enjoy on our balcony, and many afternoons we order room service sandwiches, cheese plate, cookies, etc. So in doing that, the $3.95 "service charge" would add up quickly.

No one seemed to have an opinion on being able to stay later on the ship. I think that would be wonderful. Having to get up early, finish packing, dress, shower, whatever, and then stand and wait to be called off the ship in groups, around 8am, sux!! Sure, I will get up early to see the sunrise, or not miss a glacier, but I dread the last day. If we had a "late checkout", and could have a nice breakfast, a leisurely time to finish packing, maybe even an early lunch, one more time around the ship, a few more pictures, now that seems to be the way to end a cruise, not what i have read on here so far.

What are they thinking? This is an idea taken from the airlines. The added fees on airlines are one of the reasons air travel has become less enjoyable. The inclusive price is one of the things that attracted me to cruises. I hope the cruise lines don't ruin it like the airlines.

I agree with the majority- I wouldn't pay for anything additional. In fact our last cruise, although I enjoyed it, I did feel that nickel and dime thing for the first time. So for the next few cruises I am booked on different lines so I can compare.

I would pay extra for a whiner free cruise- like if you whine about something you get fined and that money is spread back as a rebate to the rest of the cruisemate's!!! I get so sick of whiner's like the elevators are to slow, take the stair's people!!!!!! My GOD you are on vacation relax.

Then in tender line complaining its taking so long---dang I bet your friends scooping snow would just love to be standing here with you.

Then there are the people that sit by the pool and WHINE about the kids in the pool splashing- come on its a pool and there is water somebodys going to get wet. Yes I have kids but they are older now-

So yes I would gladly pay for a WHINE free cruise

Your fellow cruise

Rico