Poll: What would you pay extra for?

Which of the following would you pay extra for (all are currently free)? Choose one.  

769 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you pay extra for (all are currently free)? Choose one.

• All-day lounge chair rental by the pool
    • Reserved front row seats in the show lounge
    • Priority room service delivery
    • Table for two in the main dining room
    • Priority disembarkation on port days
    • Multiple entrees or desserts at dinner
    • Late disembarkation on the last day of the cruise
    • In-room toiletry products
    • Something else -- I'll post below

I would refuse to pay for any of the above. I have never used room service. Happy not to eat in my inside cabin - could not think of anything more boring - looking at the walls. Would always prefer to go "upstairs"; but if I did for whatever reason, then I would be happy to tip the person who brought food down.

I love coffee, but refused to purchase one on the cruise ship and didn't!!!

I just go early to get seats that I want at the shows.

I am lucky that I am retired and can organise myself around embarkation and disembarkation times and I figure I don't really care - can always find something to do - must be good at doing nothing!!!

Would never support a specialty restaurant. I remember when even the most basic ships (from Australia) had the most fantastic food and midnite feasts!!! The ships I have been going on lately RCL have nice food, but nothing like it used to be. Perhaps the decline is relative to the incline in speciality restaurants??

None of the above. Most posters have stated {and I totally agree} that amenities that have always been included should continue to be included gratis. I feel there are too many extra charges at present. The poll should have included none of the above.

I would not pay for any of the items/services listed. I do not like to be nickeled and dimed and that seems to be the trend. My further fear is a potential drift back to a type of class system. A pool for suite passengers and a pool for the rest of us.

I do not personally like to $3.95 service charge either. I do tip and tip pretty well, usually $2.00, not $4.00 each time I use room service though. I read that one reason for the service charge is to help cut down on waste, but I would think there is waste in the middle of the day when using room service would be no charge especially as room service competes with other venues serving food. As long as I can get a reasonable selection of food 24/7 free even if I have to go to a central location, then the service charge does not bother me. If that is the only way I can get food, then it is a dis-service to passengers.

Probably should not HAVE to pay extra to get some of those things, and the rest should not be given priority to ANYONE. The only thing I can think of that I would pay extra would be the in-room tolitries. It would be nice to have these in a suite. Since you are paying more for the room they should include nicer room ammenities.

Once the cruise industry gets the idea that passengers would follow like lambs and start paying for stupid things, you start the slippery slope. I will not pay for anything on that list and I don't want the cruise industry to even begin to think about any of that idiocy.

I agree. I don't want to pay "extra" for what should already be provided. It could get ugly fast - pay for bed and bath linens, pay to watch cctv, pay to take the tender... - anyone been on a plane lately???

cruising may be an affordable vacation, especially with this year's current crop of deals, but the lines are starting to add fees for formerly free amenities. Case in point -- royal caribbean recently announced a new $3.95 surcharge on all late-night room service orders, when in-room dining at any hour on that line used to be free of charge.

With new fees popping up everywhere, we wonder just what cruise travelers are willing to pay for...and what's not worth even a couple of bucks. Please vote in our poll and let us know which of these currently free privileges you'd pay for should the cruise lines start charging for the services. Be sure to post your opinions, too!

none of the above. Please don't give the cruise lines ideas, as to how to take more money from us!!!

John

Given the choices above - I would not pay for any off them. As stated earlier, there is no need to nickel and dime everyone. Set the price and let each individual decide if they want to pay the price or not. It seems that if they raise the price on too many small items, everyone will start passing up the extra charges on other items that one is use to paying for. Drinks, pictures, etc.

None of the above for me too.

I can't believe what got the most votes when I looked......a chair by the pool. For real?

I am never bothered by the chair savers, because I KNOW they are not supposed to put a towel on the chair and then leave for half the day. I just pick a chair I would like to sit in and move the stuff. I look at the people sitting around me and say, "I will leave if they show up"...... and guess what? - On all my cruises, I have never had to give back a chair because no one showed up or would reveal themselves. -no reason to pay for that.

I know people do not liked to be nickeled and dimed, but I actually do prefer it. I like to say no. I do not want to pay for other people's booze, photos, etc, etc. I like to have a choice about what I pay. I think the base price for a cruise is great value AS IS ...then we budget for the other options such as drinks, excursions, etc.

I have found my ship board basic charges going up from paying for the hot tub sauna and steam room on NCL, always high internet charges, speciality restaurant charges, enough. But with that said but I don't have a problem with the portion size or the food quality on most ships and sitting at a table and watching someone ordering three entrees and all of the extra desserts I can see that should be extra rather than driving everybody's cruise cost up. Room service let the people that take advantage of it regulary pay for it. Special treatment added fees like reserving lounge chairs all day and priority seating that just takes the cake and creates a class system. I like the all inclusive cruise and charging for normal ships functions like fuel and stuff gets annoying.

ditto ditto ditto !!! So far it appears that very few people are willing to pay extra for any of these items....... Listen up cruiselines!

my answer is none of the above, because imho none of the options are worth extra money. Actually i can't think of anything i'd pay extra to have.

you are right on target. Do not nickel and dime me.

i would pay more for a truly smoke-free environment.

I haven't read all this thread so forgive me if someone else has answered this way.

Nothing on that list however I will say that if that list was to become a reality I would be looking elsewhere to spend my cruising $$.

Edited by Lynnees