Poll: What would you pay extra for?

Which of the following would you pay extra for (all are currently free)? Choose one.  

769 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you pay extra for (all are currently free)? Choose one.

• All-day lounge chair rental by the pool
    • Reserved front row seats in the show lounge
    • Priority room service delivery
    • Table for two in the main dining room
    • Priority disembarkation on port days
    • Multiple entrees or desserts at dinner
    • Late disembarkation on the last day of the cruise
    • In-room toiletry products
    • Something else -- I'll post below

We really love to stay in JS's. Too bad that so many of them are located under the pool deck. I know, the suites should be up high and exclusive. But those guys that throw the pool furniture around at 5 a.m. - - - we would gladlly pay them a few $$$ not to.

Rick and Deirdra

I'm going to go with none of the above. Quite honestly, all of this nickel and dime stuff is ruining the cruise industry. Each concecutive cruise I've taken, my end-of-cruise bill has been higher by 10-15%, and I don't feel that I'm getting that much more for my money. What gives?

Of the choices offered, I'd pay extra for priority disembarkation at some ports ... but we probably wouldn't pay extra for the things noted here.

I don't mind paying extra for things that are a choice (like specialty dining, Johnny Rockets, excursions, booze, pictures, etc.), and we do spend money on all of those things. If others don't want to pay then that's fine with me. I would far rather the cruiselines keep the prices lower on the basics and simple luxuries.

My mother recently told me that she and her husband paid $7,000 (3,500 each) for their Panama Canal cruise in about 1985. They had an oceanview cabin - no balcony - on Princess and were on a lower deck. They always figured they were getting a great deal if they paid under $350 per person per day. We'd feel we were paying a sufficient amount if we paid $100 pp/pd for a similar cabin these days. I really doubt that they received $250 more per day in value. My point is, many of those who complain that they aren't getting as much for their money probably have no idea how much prices have dropped in the past several years.

Edited by Water•Baby

Like most of the posters have stated...none of the above. I feel we pay plenty for the extras of drinks, photos, gambling, souvenirs, and specialty dining. I would be spending my vacation dollars elsewhere if cruise lines started charging for what is listed in this poll.

Why would I want to start paying for things that are included in the original cost of the cruise? One of the advantages of a cruise vacation is that everything is paid for before we step one foot onto the gangplank.

Please...no more charges!

None of the above.

Now let me get this straight, they have given enormous raises to crew members and that's why they need to start charging extra? NOT!

Oh, the fuel cost more. They already hit us with that cost once and are poised to do it again at anytime.

Listen up cruise lines, I have been on 38 cruises and have 10 more booked and usually leave each ship with a pretty good size bar tab. Do you really want to loose my business?

People that use room service already give a tip, what in the devil are you charging for?

Two of those 10 booked cruises are on Royal Caribbean, looks like I'll be cancelling those.

I chose other because I wouldn't pay extra for the items mentioned above.

I am a loyal RCI customer and while I don't mind the new $3.95 charge for room service delivery between midnight and 5 am (I have never ordered during this time), I do worry that this seems to be a growing trend, with small charges appearing onboard.

Perhaps instead of charging for seats by the pool, they could make money by "fining" chair hogs instead:cool:

this one is not on your list, but i would pay an extra $5.00 per day to have the concierge lounge open till 10pm each evening instead of 8:30pm:):):)

Oh yes, I'd definitely pay for this! But don't automatically charge me for the whole cruise on Day 1 like they do the soda sticker. Ring me up if I show up after 8:30 pm!

Edited by wolfcathorse

I would not pay for any of the listed items, but. . . .

I would pay extra for room service if they offered a full, hot breakfast with eggs, bacon/sausage, and all the trimmings for all cabin types. I occasionally get breakfast from the buffet and take it back to the balcony, but by the time I get there it's lukewarm (even with a plate on top).

I checked priority disembarkation at ports, but I need to clarify this. I would only pay extra for that if I was doing an independent excursion and needed to be on the pier early. Sometimes if you're at a tender port, it can be difficult to set up your own excursions since often the cruise line's shore excursions always go off first. So, I would be willing to pay a nominal sum in this case to get off and meet my excursion provider.

As for anything else I'd be willing to pay extra for, nothing on that list qualifies. To me, you only pay extra for special things ... things that you would not normally get on a cruise.

For example, yes, I would be willing to pay extra for things like unlimited laundry on a long cruise. I may also be willing to pay extra for some special programming, like hands on classes in photography or to learn a new skill. I'm not talking about lectures here, but rather hands-on classes that perhaps supplemented a lecture program on a particular topic.

I think cruise lines are losing out on a major money-making opportunity here ... and I think they're being extraordinarily dumb in letting this revenue stream pass them by.

On certain longer cruises, the cruise lines should coordinate a couple of onboard lecture series with hands-on classes that people can take for a fee. Almost everyone likes to learn something new when on a longer cruise ... especially a grand voyage or world cruise. Why not capitalize on that? Carefully orchestrate a lecture series (such as Holland America's Exploration Speakers Series) with a series of hands-on classes. For example, have a renowned nature photographer onboard to provide some lectures on his work. These lectures, as with all shipboard lectures, would be free. But he would also offer a series of hands-on workshops, limited to a certain number of people, for those who wanted to explore the topic further. Add to this some included shore excursions where participants can hone their skills under the photographer's personal direction, and you have the makings of a very nice product that can be packaged and sold. I'd be willing to bet there would be enough passengers who would take advantage of this to make it worthwhile.

Of course, photography is just one example. There are many others ... music, art, acting, crafts ... you name it. Sailings could have "themes" and passengers could either just attend the free lectures, or could choose to more thoroughly explore the topic via the enhanced program for an extra charge.

But it is stuff like this that I might be willing to pay extra for. I would not be willing to pay for things like room service. I'd sooner run up to the Lido and get my own snacks.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• Administrators
I would not pay for any of the listed items, but. . . .

I would pay extra for room service if they offered a full, hot breakfast with eggs, bacon/sausage, and all the trimmings for all cabin types. I occasionally get breakfast from the buffet and take it back to the balcony, but by the time I get there it's lukewarm (even with a plate on top).

Try Holland America -- they offer room service with all of the above, for no extra charge other than the tip for the waiter who delivers it.

I VOTE NO to all the above and others they have already started charging for...like coffee, Ice Cream, other foods and specialty restaurants...

And like others have stated... the Photo's are way over priced....

so NO DEAL !!!

The nickel and diming is one of the few things I dislike about cruising. It seems like cruising is becoming less and less inclusive with each passing year.

So my vote is definitely none of the above! I'm always intrigued by the specialty restaurants onboard, but I just cannot patronize them because, like this question, if the cruiselines think they have an extra profit opportunity waiting they'll jump on it. So I'm reluctant to support those pay-extra things that are already offered.

Maybe this sounds like I'm being cheap, but honestly, it's getting to the point where I wish you could just add services like soda cards, coffee cards, santuary fees and such to the cruise price before you go and then skip the whole hard-sell while on board. So as you are purchasing your cruise, you pick and choose what you want, pay for it with your fare and then just have tips to pay onboard.

First let me say that my expertise is marketing & I would vote for none of the above. We also own stock in both RCL & CCL ,so I have no axe to grind.

Having cruises 40 + cruises ,what I would pay extra for would be unlimited laundry by the cruise line ,ala Holland America's policy . I would also pay for learning skills that I can use on land ,like higher investment type skills ,ala chart reading .

What is happening around the cruise industry in addition to the nickel /dime theory is also that extra dollar tip added on automatically .The tip level on RCL & CCL has been $9 per day per person ;which seems reasonable for normal quality of service .Now the lines want a extra $1 to bring it to $10 per day per person & HAL wants $11 per day per person .My question is then why are we paying a cruise fare ??? IMHO tiping is for quality service & attitude & not automatic.I pay extra to receive the best service & attitudes & to me it is not a automatic add on to my bill.

This is hard economic times & yes the cruise lines must be profitable or eventually go out of business;but ,they need to be careful in the perception by the typical cruise paasenger & that cruise passenger doesn't feel that they are getting nickled & dimed ;but ,are getting added value for their purchase of that cruise.So ,I challenge the cruise lines to show me the added value .One line already has & it is by far & away Holland America. Just wish that I started cruising with them much earlier in our cruising career .

Retired 10 years & having FUN :D:D:D