Luggage and connecting flights

Louise45

I have only flew 3 times and each time was a straight flight. Correct me if I'm wrong. When we check in our luggage at the first airport, we don't have to pick it up until the final destination, right? We don't have to look for it at the connecting airport?

Thanks, that's what I thought. But my friend just got back from a trip and told me different or she was confused. She went from Charlotte to Orlando and then to Germany. Then back from Germany to Philadelphia then back home to Charlotte. Are international flights different?

Your baggage will be checked thru, so you will not have to pick it up in Atlanta.

Yes, internatinal flights are different. You have to go thru customs and immigration at your first stop in the US. In your friends case this was Philly. After she cleared customs, she should have just dropped off the bags, she should not have had to re-check it.

Archived