millenium march 1, 2009 - new to cruise critic

mrscruz&mrgrumpy

Hi all cruisers out there! We've just finally got around to booking the Sydney - Auckland cruise on March 1 and can't wait!!:):)It's my 3rd cruise to date and I think they are the best value for money holiday possible. We've just signed up for the connections party - probably be the only aussies there!

A couple of qu's:

(1) does anyone know if the deck plan shape of a cabin is exactly true, as the cabin we have booked is at the front of the ship and is quite an unusual shape. (I'm hoping it means we get a view out the front - that'd be ace:D)

(2) How "formal" are the formal nights? I have previously sailed with P&O and I found that they were pretty relaxed, if u didn't dine in the restaurant on the formal night then people didn't necessarily dress up, we always have but I worry that us aussies are probably a bit laid back in our attire!

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to find my way back here if anyone responds (first time forum user :confused:- a little confused!!!), ta Lisa

Hello mrscruzandmistergrumpy. We are also on the March 1st Millennium cruise. Glad you signed up for the Connection Party. Take a look at the thread on the Celebrity Roll Call Forum for the sailing. Many folks on the cruise have shared some good information about tours etc. You could probably answer some questions since you are from Australia.

Anne

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to find my way back here if anyone responds (first time forum user :confused:- a little confused!!!), ta Lisa

You should be sent an email when new posts are put on ..usually daily.

or..When you want to see the threads you have posted on, open the cruise critics web page, go to User CP ( click this link or ...your page at top left)...and all subscriptions will be there, any new posts will be highlighted, just click on the link, or as I do , for a roll call thread that you want to be on and need to view constantly, just send a link to your desktop of the CC page you need ..if it's easier.

here's the link for your ROLL CALL, if you don't have it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610729

Us Aussies gotta stick together..and yes, the cruises that are not P&O are more inclined to be dressier...they are the only type of cruiselines we use...don't like the Aussie P&O at all.

We were one the Millie in 4/07 in Europe, and absolutely loved that ship!!

Formal nights on Celebrity in general are a little bit more dressy, or maybe I should say more people dress up. You don't see nearly as many casually dressed people around the ship and in the dining room on those nights as you see on other cruise lines.

Dressy, IMO, includes black pants or skirt with a sparkly top, not a floorlength formal.

Have a wonderful cruise!

(1) does anyone know if the deck plan shape of a cabin is exactly true, as the cabin we have booked is at the front of the ship and is quite an unusual shape. (I'm hoping it means we get a view out the front - that'd be ace:D)

From all the plans I've seen, they do match the room well. If yours is a distinct room, you may also be able to find photos/earlier discussion of it here or elsewhere.

Hi

We were on the Millennium in December (7-21) from Sydney to Auckland and had a wonderful cruise - you will enjoy yourselves.

We had three formal nights - the second night (at sea between Sydney and Phillip Island), the second night at sea between Hobart and Milford Sound, and the night we sailed from Wellington to White Volcanic Island.

This was our second cruise (the first on Summit to Alaska), and this was more formal - it seemed to me that the majority made the effort to go formal this time. I wore the same thing on all three nights to save on packing.

My review is posted on Travel Pod if you want to see what we did. And photos on my SmugMug page.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Maree

Thanks for that, I'm not a "dress wearer" usually so I was a bit concerned regarding the level of formality required. I am very comfy in skirts and pants and to glitz up the top. If in doubt I'll stay in my cabin (lol) and hide from everyone - only joking. thanks for advice, lisa

WOW, I loved using the link to your travel blog, it was great and gave me a great idea - my parents can bring my boys to come and look at the boat that we r on. Also good opportunit to do some things in our native Melb that we wouldn't normally do - mum wants to go up Southern Star, dad wants to do Eureka tower.

As Aussies did you find the whole tipping process ok? We've never travelled to the USA so haven't experienced it at all but planning to prepay gratuities. Do you still need incidental cash for extras like room service etc? If u don't mind me asking what is acceptable tipping prices (sorry we r ignorant aussies!!!)

Have run out of time to look at your photos, will have to do it tomoro but I really like your positive attitude on looking at the brighter side of everything rather than complaining, which can get a bit old i know!!!, thanks, lisa

Hello mrscruzandmistergrumpy. We are also on the March 1st Millennium cruise. Glad you signed up for the Connection Party. Take a look at the thread on the Celebrity Roll Call Forum for the sailing. Many folks on the cruise have shared some good information about tours etc. You could probably answer some questions since you are from Australia.

Anne

Hi Anne, I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my capabilities. I'm a Melbourne girl at heart but am currently living between sydney and melbourne, so fire away.Lisa

Welcome to the forums. If you are looking for photos of your room this is a great link that may include your cabin or equivalent:

http://www.geocities.com/mahdnc/Cabinpix.html

Remember that Millennium, Constellation, Infinity and Summit are basically the same ship set ups so cabin photos of any of those will give you the idea.

Phil

WOW, I loved using the link to your travel blog, it was great and gave me a great idea - my parents can bring my boys to come and look at the boat that we r on. Also good opportunit to do some things in our native Melb that we wouldn't normally do - mum wants to go up Southern Star, dad wants to do Eureka tower.

As Aussies did you find the whole tipping process ok? We've never travelled to the USA so haven't experienced it at all but planning to prepay gratuities. Do you still need incidental cash for extras like room service etc? If u don't mind me asking what is acceptable tipping prices (sorry we r ignorant aussies!!!)

Have run out of time to look at your photos, will have to do it tomoro but I really like your positive attitude on looking at the brighter side of everything rather than complaining, which can get a bit old i know!!!, thanks, lisa

Hi Lisa

Thanks for the nice words. I do the blogs to keep a record of the trip for me and my family mainly, but I enjoy reading other people's review and trip stories, so inflict mine on others too! The tipping thing is still a bit of a nightmare. We prepaid gratuities, and had a butler, so didn't need to tip for room service :-). I guess 15% is the norm for tipping, but those from the US can confirm that. It's certainly the tip added to bar bills on board.

The problem for me is always remembering that we have to tip - we were in Alaska a few years ago, had a great flight around Mt. McKinley, and afterwards headed off to our car only to realise the funny look we good from our pilot was because we hadn't tipped him. Not good.

I remember reading other threads on tipping, but it seems like no matter how much we read, we always end up getting it wrong!

Maree

Hi Lisa

Thanks for the nice words. I do the blogs to keep a record of the trip for me and my family mainly, but I enjoy reading other people's review and trip stories, so inflict mine on others too! The tipping thing is still a bit of a nightmare. We prepaid gratuities, and had a butler, so didn't need to tip for room service :-). I guess 15% is the norm for tipping, but those from the US can confirm that. It's certainly the tip added to bar bills on board.

The problem for me is always remembering that we have to tip - we were in Alaska a few years ago, had a great flight around Mt. McKinley, and afterwards headed off to our car only to realise the funny look we good from our pilot was because we hadn't tipped him. Not good.

I remember reading other threads on tipping, but it seems like no matter how much we read, we always end up getting it wrong!

Maree

In my humble opinion, as someone from the US, 15% is a good, solid, minimum tip for good service. 10% is for service that was adequate, but left a bit to be desired. 20%+ is for very good to exceptionally good service--but in my experience this is the kind of service I usually get and so that is amount I usually tip now that I have a decent job.

If the tip is already added to the bar bill, there's no need to add any more. Of course if your bartender was exceptionally friendly and entertaining, and made you a strong drink with some flair, and added dollar or so is a nice way to say thanks and show that you noticed and appreciated the special service.

Of course, if the service totally lacks, and/or is rude or inadequate or very slow in a way that is the fault of the server rather than the kitchen, skip the tip entirely. That, in the long run, tends to drive the people who shouldn't be in the service biz out.

I've heard that for many service people on cruise ships that something like 60% to 90% of their pay comes from tips. It would be great if they were well paid by the cruise line, but that is just not the case most of the time. The cruise industry is very competitive, and so the "savings" that the cruise lines get from paying little mostly goes to the customer in the form of lower fares. Since that's the business model, whether we like it or not, it is obviously important to reward good service. For those who are forced to be on a tight budget, overtipping is not needed imho even for exceptional service--15% does it, along with a sincere thank you.

Just my opinion, and probably much more than you needed to hear....!

Have a great trip!

I understand that =X= is now automatically adding the tips to your account--so this should take care of you Aussies! You won't need to worry about anyone else since the bar tips (15%) are printed right on the slips. The only extra person I tipped was the girl who brought our petit dejeuner each morning--I gave her $20 at the end of the cruise rather than a dollar each day.

This change goes into effect for sailings beginning 1-15-09. Hope that helps!

Cathy

Oh, I wish we were on your sailing, to have a chance to meet you!!

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time -- :D Can't see how you won't, with such great attitudes.

Have not yet had a chance to visit your gorgeous part of the world, but my parents are itching to move there!

Just came back from that cruise myself. Make sure you read my tip for Phillip Island that I wrote under Phillip Island port as it is a must see. As for formal dress, I like to dress up but my hubby refused to take his tux this time. You can take one pair of dressy pants and switch around with dressy blouses/tops to lighten your load. I took gowns that were non wrinkling and hung them in plastic bags that worked well. But there were all modes of dress so "no worries" LOL.

Oh, I wish we were on your sailing, to have a chance to meet you!!

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time -- :D Can't see how you won't, with such great attitudes.

Have not yet had a chance to visit your gorgeous part of the world, but my parents are itching to move there!

U guys in he US are so lucky with how many cruises u have atf your disposal - and a variey oft locations. In Oz there hasn't been a big variety until the last few years. I'm looking forward to cruising with a different company and hope not to compare everything but just enjoy it for what it is. With how bad the Aussie dollar is against yours, u guys could get real value for money coming at the time - for us, not so good. Oh well, it isn't going to stop us having fun! Lisa

Archived