Parking & Embarkation at Port Canaveral

JillK

Hi All.

Hoping someone can provide some advice for my upcoming Wonder cruise in February.

We are going to be travelling with our daughters (2 1/2 and 4) who tend to get antsy and, well - aren't the best listeners at times... so I'm planning on brining along two umbrella strollers to keep them in one spot while we wait to board.

Any advice on the best time of day to arrive and what kind of wait to expect would be great. It's our first time cruising out of this port so I'm not sure what to expect.

Also, if anyone can tell me how far the parking garage is from the terminal that would be great. I assume hubby should drop us, park and come back - or is it close enough that we can park and go to the terminal together?

Many thanks to all who take the time to respond!

Jill

Jill:

We are going on the Wonder in March, and I have purchased a 2009 Disney Cruise Line guide book that has tidbits of info in it.

I don't know how close parking is, but I can tell you what it says about the teminal and checking in etc.

You can get into the Disney Terminal as early as 10:30am to start the check in process. They say there is a security check point just like the airport where you could be asked to remove shoes, jackets, glasses etc (they say the line can get quite long). From the security check point, you take an elevator up to the cruise check in line where you submit your passports, and identification for boarding. You can board the ship as early as 1:00pm, and should have access to your cabin around 1:30pm. You will have access to your room and ship amenities all day once you board, and there is a mandatory safety drill for all passengers @ 4:00.

If you get to the terminal and get checked in earlier than 1:00, they have chairs and seating in a generous sized area (in case kids get antsy) with restrooms and TV's that run a continuous loop of Disney cartoons.

Hope this helps! Have an awesome trip!

Typically parking/drop off opens around 10am with the port itself opening at 10:30am. This means if you arrive at 10 you will have to stand around in the covered area outside for a bit before they let you into the port.

The parking is directly across the street...it is nice and close.

Many people prefer to get in early so they can be in the early boarding group. Boarding begins sometime around noon.

While in the port waiting to board there is seating around multiple tv's that play the old Disney cartoons. Most kids seem to just plop down in front of those and are zoned until boarding time.

After 1pm is when the DCL busses begin to arrive so lines can be long for checking in. Arriving between noon and 1pm seems to be the sweet spot if you want to just walk into the port, checkin, and then walk right on board.

We prefer to get in early and then head straight to the buffet on deck 9. Being in the first or second boarding group means you don't have to worry about finding a place to sit for lunch.

Hopefully I got all my info straight here. If not I am sure someone will correct me ;)

Jim

It depends on which lot you end up in. There are actually 2 lots.There is one in front of the terminal, and there is one across the street as mentioned. The way it works is exactly like the airport. You pull up to the curb, and drop off your main luggage to a porter, and if you so choose you can stand outside, waiting on the other to park the car. Or you can drive across the street and park in the other lot, and come back as a family. Keep in mind that once you go thru security, and if you forget something across the street, they will rescreen you.(I dont know what the difference is. I left something in my truck on our last cruise,and we were in the front lot, and still had to go thru the metal detectors and all when I got back to the term.Not that I am complaining.)When we went in Sept on the 4 day, we got the front lot since we were there early and also because the Magic was in drydock.There is a good chance you can get the same lot.At least until the Wonder goes to Drydock in Septish.(I think that was the time she is sched.)When you come back home, generally the porters will travel with you to the car with your luggage so you dont have to juggle it.

Also, in the terminal itself, after you get checked in, there will be charachters coming out constantly to take pics with, so that might help keep the little ones entertained. (Btw, what 2 and 4 year olds listen all of the time? :) )

Oh, one thing I didn't mention....it is not a parking garage. This is uncovered parking on a surface lot. I was hoping to find a picture of it (I think we took one) but I am not sure where it is.

Jim

Found a pic for you. The near lot that looks like a teardrop is the close or front lot. The far lot is the, well, back or far lot for lack of a better term.Also, keep in mind, that the earlier you arrive, the lower boarding number you get, the earlier you can board. That is generally between 1130 and 1230 (depending on how long it takes to clean and turn the ship.)With 2 small kids and umbrella strollers, it can be a little challenging, since every one boarding is in 1 of 2 places and they are all looking for the same thing. Food.

1461059792_43f08d522f.jpg

Chris

The Wonder parking lot is the one accross the street, on your right as you first drive in, it's not that far away to walk. I suggest arriving at 11:30, by the time you go through security and check in they will be already boarding the ship. Snap a picture with Mickey or Minnie, board the ship turn left to Parrot Cay for lunch, take a quick tour of deck 9 and by then your cabin should be ready.

Regards,

Moe

DCL 2005, 2007, 2008

The Wonder parking lot is the one accross the street, on your right as you first drive in, it's not that far away to walk. I suggest arriving at 11:30, by the time you go through security and check in they will be already boarding the ship. Snap a picture with Mickey or Minnie, board the ship turn left to Parrot Cay for lunch, take a quick tour of deck 9 and by then your cabin should be ready.

Regards,

Moe

DCL 2005, 2007, 2008

Is that the name of the lot? The lots got swapped when the Magic, which was using the front lot went to drydock last Sept. Then the Wonder got it.I asked what had happened, that I had gotten a close spot and the parking attendant told us that. Unless the Wonder goes out of service for a few days, it should remain the same till she goes to drydock.

The waiting area in the terminal is VERY kid friendly...with tvs with Disney movies or cartoons playing, large bathrooms, characters coming out to meet and for photos, a large model of the ship to look at, and (of course) a snack bar to buy snacks for them. :D

I have a 2009 Disney Cruise Line guide that says parking at the terminal is $15 per night. It does not say whether you pay before or after, or whether you can prepay. The last time I sailed out of Port Canaveral (which was almost 10 years ago, you payed as you left the parking lot, but that could have changed over the years). They accept cash, Visa, MC and Travelers Checks only...no personal checks.

How much does it cost to park per day? And can you pre-pay?

The current cost is $15 per day (for cars), payable when you enter the lot. Here is the parking info from the Port Canaveral web site:

$15/night for vehicles up to 20 feet in length

$26/night for vehicles over 20 feet

The total fee for the time the vehicle will be parked is due on entry. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Traveler’s Checks issued in U.S. dollars.

We're going in Nov. for the 1st time, should we skip regular lunch and have the kids hang out by the pool and eat there??

If you are referring to when you first board, I think there are only 2 rest. open. I believe. Parrot Cay is open for lunch and when it fills they start sending everyone on an express elevator to the buffet on deck 9.

The current cost is $15 per day (for cars), payable when you enter the lot. Here is the parking info from the Port Canaveral web site:

$15/night for vehicles up to 20 feet in length

$26/night for vehicles over 20 feet

The total fee for the time the vehicle will be parked is due on entry. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Traveler’s Checks issued in U.S. dollars.

Wow. It went up.

Ok,,,thanks!

Welcome.

If you are referring to when you first board, I think there are only 2 rest. open. I believe. Parrot Cay is open for lunch and when it fills they start sending everyone on an express elevator to the buffet on deck 9.

You can go to either location when you board, you do not have to wait for Parrot Cay to fill up, so yes, you can grab something from Beach Blanket Buffet/Topsiders and grab a table close to the pool while the kids swim.

You can go to either location when you board, you do not have to wait for Parrot Cay to fill up, so yes, you can grab something from Beach Blanket Buffet/Topsiders and grab a table close to the pool while the kids swim.

ok thanks...isn't there a snack bar or something by the pool too? I'm sure it doesn't open til later though, right?

We are flying in to Orlando on the 23rd for a Jan 29 Cruise. Rented a car from Thrifty. They have a drop off with free trans to port from the car rental drop off in Port Canaveral.

Anyone used Thrifty for this before?? We've rented from Alamo the last 2 times we were in Florida and the 1 time we cruised. We paid to park it at the terminal because we were doing WDW before and after the cruise.

Archived