My Opinion NYE cruise W901

margrey

Hi Emma,

Seriously i know you and Matt like to party but these guys took it to a different level, loads of fights i think you would have been shocked they were just out for trouble some of them, and i reckon you guys would have felt a bit intimidated, even the females were ferel not like our last cruise when everyone at least respected the other passengers.

Saying all that though we did have a great time i think i was propbably spoiled on the last one with all the great people we met, never mind i am looking through the different agents at the moment thinking of the next one:D

Thanks for all the comments guys i am sure this cruise was a one off and security will be on to it now when it is a special occasion one ( Hopefully)

Marg

Thanks Leslie nope still got the bug:D am looking at the sun princess for october lol

Marg

Marg, why don't you look at Dawn Princess for October, we are on her going to the islands via PNG..... Oh just looked at my Princess book, are you looking at the Hawaiian Cruise??.... We are building up to do this cruise in about 2011-2012......:D

No that hawaiian cruise is in Sept. Must get my self a new princess book mine only goes up to Oct 2009, and only the Dawn princess cruise is in there

I can understand where you are coming from, you wait all this time counting down to get on your holiday and then stupid people with their drunkeness and rudeness take a little of your holiday away from you.:( I am glad you had a good time regardless of the idiots that was on there.

Tania

I see you are doing the cruise to Papua New Guinea in October, i would love to do that one. But we seem to have so much on this year already, i couldn't possibly fit a 2nd cruise in. I will be watching very carefully and hopefully they will do that exact cruise in 2010.:)

Tania

Hi all,

I have read this thread with interest and this will probably provoke some people but I recently sailed on a 21 night cruise on the Pacific Sun. Being a longer type of the cruise the ship's passengers were mainly in the older category. I did hear the average age of 75 being mentioned. I myself didnt have an issue with this and thought that it was great that a lot of older people were able to travel and go overseas. A lot of these passengers were not able bodied and relied on walkers, wheel chairs and motorised scooters. So as you could imagine there were times when the ships main walkways and other public areas were rather crowded and resembled a retirement village. I must admit I did not see any of the older passenger's holding anyone over the edge of the ship, but i did witness several of them being very rude to the waiters, and treating them as if they were a lower class of citizen. The older passenger's were also very intolerant of others on the cruise, would virtually demand they be seen to first and on one ocassion an elderly woman barged into a toilet cubicle telling the female that was next in line that "she could hold on as her bladder was younger than hers" :D As for passenger's not being able to get into the spa with all the younger people, you should try getting a seat at one of the nice windows on the Pacific Sun, I was of the impression that you had to wait for some one to die in them before you were given a go, the older passenger's arrived before sun up and left around ten pm. At times there were a couple of them seated in them wrapped in blankets and asleep.:rolleyes:

I have taught my children that they are to hold doors open,and stand and give up their seat for older people, but on this cruise the older people demanded the closest seats to the stage during shows, they complained that teenagers were allowed to join in games such as trivia and pictionary and virtually told the younger people to get out of the lifts and use the stairs when they wanted to use the lifts. I wasnt concerned about any of this behaviour and it didnt affect my cruise at all, to be honest it gave us something to talk about at times. I havent mentioned it on the forum before as I am sure that on all cruises there are certain passenger's that can be annoying, selfish and poorly behaved. However after reading about the behaviour of the younger people on this cruise I felt that I had to write about it and say that it doesnt appear that bad behaviour and bad manners go hand in hand with the younger generation. :)

Decco, I know where you're coming from. I've also found on the 2 cruises we've done that it is the older ones that demand, belittle the staff, complain etc. (although they don;t do the stupid things these people did). We have been lucky enough to not have any louts on either of our cruises and I hope we continue to have such luck. The OP's recount of this cruise is exactly why we have been hesitant to do a NYE cruise. It is party time and will attract party people.

My 18yo son is going on PD next week with 6 mates. He is a sensible and respectful kid (sorry....adult:rolleyes:) and so are the others. At least they are when I've seen them. I hope to God he does not carry on like an idiot and I trust him not to. But I can assure you, he will be getting (another) lecture the morning he leaves;).

Molly Doble....don't worry, we're going to have a great time on this cruise:). Being a longer one & not school/uni holidays will mean less chance of having such scumbags on board.

LOL i know exactly what you mean decco.

We had one old man in an electric wheelchair who shouted at his poor wife every meal time, it got so bad no one would sit at his table. He then complained loudly why his table was not being filled up, the poor waiters took a barage of abuse from him.

I saw him on the last day getting into the spa no help needed for that, he was wearing what i can only describe as very big loose underpants as he climbed in the spa i looked over and well i will leave the rest to your imagination, :eek: not nice before breakfast lol but he could not have given a hoot kids around or not he ruled the ship:D we should have set him on the hoons they would not have known what hit them:D

People are funny are they not i suppose it takes all kinds dont know what was worst when i think about it:p Marg

Hi Emma,

Seriously i know you and Matt like to party but these guys took it to a different level, loads of fights i think you would have been shocked they were just out for trouble some of them, and i reckon you guys would have felt a bit intimidated, even the females were ferel not like our last cruise when everyone at least respected the other passengers.

Saying all that though we did have a great time i think i was propbably spoiled on the last one with all the great people we met, never mind i am looking through the different agents at the moment thinking of the next one:D

Thanks for all the comments guys i am sure this cruise was a one off and security will be on to it now when it is a special occasion one ( Hopefully)

Marg

Hey Marg,

Yeah, i think we would have been shocked too and yep intimidated On Maiden voyage, i felt it was a bit partyish because first cruise on dawn and i loved that. But no one behaved badly like that, and we all became friends and had tons of fun with none of that. Been lucky to not have too many idiots on both my previous cruises but not so keen to do a nye one now.

It's great to see that it has not detered you from cruising and how much u were still able to enjoy it! And i know what you mean, even though august cruise was fun, it didnt quite compare to my "first" cruise met tons of great people, whereas last trip only met a few like you :D

We had one old man in an electric wheelchair who shouted at his poor wife every meal time, it got so bad no one would sit at his table. He then complained loudly why his table was not being filled up, the poor waiters took a barage of abuse from him.

I saw him on the last day getting into the spa no help needed for that, he was wearing what i can only describe as very big loose underpants as he climbed in the spa i looked over and well i will leave the rest to your imagination, :eek: not nice before breakfast lol but he could not have given a hoot kids around or not he ruled the ship:D we should have set him on the hoons they would not have known what hit them:D

People are funny are they not i suppose it takes all kinds dont know what was worst when i think about it:p Marg

Lol Marg, I think that is half the fun of a cruise isnt it, watching all the things that go on, sort of makes the time go quickly on sea days.:D We had a few older male passengers that wore speedos, (no comment) In all honesty though I also think it depends on what you think "cruising" is all about. I know I have been asked by several people when I returned what the cruise was like, as we all get asked and when I mention that the average age was seventy plus, they are shocked and think how boring. I wasnt bored one bit, but then I didnt have visions of partying the night away, as it was my first cruise, I didnt have any preconceived ideas at all. It will be interesting though to see how I go on my next cruise as I have booked another one already and I wonder if it will be totally different.

I think that in the end if there were restrictions on all age groups, as there are on the kids clubs then maybe cruising would be a better mix, not too many wild ones like you encountered and not too many "wheelies" like I encountered. ;). I know that way at least all the staff would be happy as on my cruise the disco staff and late night bar staff really just stood around all night, whilst any one working in the food area where run off their feet. It would be a lot better if a lot of people on the ships realised that everyone is there to enjoy a holiday and acted accordingly.

My wife is beginning to think I am some kind of a nutter - I just can't stop laughing - at least he has not lost his confidence!!!

I have not come across any ‘bad' kids (teens etc) or seniors for that matter, but some people do choose to make 'fools' of themselves, I have only ever had one smart comment about my size ( I am pretty heavy) but I put that down to small mindedness and I tend to shrug all negative things off to Freud issues with guys/men. (I know the risks etc)

Don’t forget that boys don’t grown into men until about the age of 28+ (unless they have kids or common sense etc).

Dont let them get to you, forget the bad bits, remember the good times, life is far too short!!

Steve

Hi All

I am not goin to get into this argument at all, however what i will say is there were 10 ppl in our group aged from 55 to 15. we also knew a a group on there aged in their 60's.

I was surprised at the the age and groups of some of the young males onboard. However i also had a conversation with security and said that i felt uneasy goin to the bar in the dome as they stood there and intimidated other passengers. Security were fantastic the minute something started they come from everywhere. I will be taking this up with P&O in letter.

What i would like to say the only time i had problems was from and old guy who abused me because the 2 teenagers with my family had got up to go to the toilet before the show started in the showlounge and he abused me for saving seats, so the old as as just as rude as the young on occassions.

Also margery you didnt turn up for the meet & greet or the galley tour etc what happened to you???? we had a great time met many ppl and had a personal galley tour more on that in the review later on.

I had a good time and would definentely go on the Pacific Dawn on another New Years Cruise.

kruzein

Hi All

I am not goin to get into this argument at all, however what i will say is there were 10 ppl in our group aged from 55 to 15. we also knew a a group on there aged in their 60's.

I was surprised at the the age and groups of some of the young males onboard. However i also had a conversation with security and said that i felt uneasy goin to the bar in the dome as they stood there and intimidated other passengers. Security were fantastic the minute something started they come from everywhere. I will be taking this up with P&O in letter.

What i would like to say the only time i had problems was from and old guy who abused me because the 2 teenagers with my family had got up to go to the toilet before the show started in the showlounge and he abused me for saving seats, so the old as as just as rude as the young on occassions.

Also margery you didnt turn up for the meet & greet or the galley tour etc what happened to you???? we had a great time met many ppl and had a personal galley tour more on that in the review later on.

I had a good time and would definentely go on the Pacific Dawn on another New Years Cruise.

kruzein

all i have to say about that is well said so true

Well, I've read with interest your review on the New Years Eve cruise and all I can say is I am so glad I was not on it!

I really felt for you when you referred to your "pretty outfit" and described how two 'useless misfits' insulted you...and obviously hurt your feelings... There really is no excuse for people of any age to behave like this in public. Maybe you should have waved your 'little finger' at them!!!LOL...;) glad to hear you still managed to enjoy your cruise :) who knows maybe I'll run into them next week...oh dear!!:( Nett.

Molly Doble....don't worry, we're going to have a great time on this cruise:). Being a longer one & not school/uni holidays will mean less chance of having such scumbags on board.

Hi Karen

I know, we have never had any trouble. Today when my son was telling me things i kept saying tell me good things and he would just laugh. We are looking forward to our trip and trying to plan the next after that.:)

Tania

yes and it all depends on where you like to hang out and at what times we have not had any trouble mmm but i did have to take a ww2 vet back to his room cause he was to pisssed to find it his wife was happy to see him. mind you he was 98 yrs old and pissed as and very funny

Thanks for this candid report. We were considering a Christmas -New Year cruise to this area next year, but after reading this, we'll take a wide berth.

Maybe Contiki should branch out into cruises for the "party" sect?

Anna

It would be a shame to forgo cruising at Christmas/New Year because of the behaviour of a few yobbos....the atmosphere on our Christmas cruise was fantastic. All of us just need to make it clear to cruise lines of whatever persuasion that we will not put up with behaviour at sea that would get them arrested on land.

If I haven't giving up travelling because of terrorism I certainly would not be put off by inconsiderate, childish (not matter what age) misbehaving ratbags.

Hi Lisa,

I turned up in the Bengal bar at 2.00 on the sunday and no one was there:confused:

I thought the only galley tour was the one that had a line going half way round the ship LOL did not fancy that and i had seen it before anyway.:D

I am glad you enjoyed it as i did but i would not go on another new year cruise there were times i did not feel safe in the least.

Sorry we did not get to meet up i would have liked that i was listening for anyone calling out lisa and i would have asked if it was you, you probably saw my husband he was the one in the kilt on NYE?:D lol

There were a lot of grumpy people on the ship i though young and old:rolleyes: still would like to be on her now though.

Marg

Sorry theid it did not matter where you hung out they were everywhere:( .

Please i hope i have not put anyone doing a new years cruise in the future:( as i said in the title this is my opinion only and what i experienced:) it might be completely different next year and i would definatly consider the xmas cruise. would br interesting to hear from any other passengers to see if they had the same experience.

I would like to add i will not be taking it up with P&O i think they done their best in a bad situation and yes security were good but could have been a few more. I cannot blame them for the behaviour of others although i think they will get some people looking for free handouts:(

No company can discriminate against the age of passengers that would be wrong, so unless you are up for a PARTY and have thick skin book another one not NYE

Marg

Hi Margary we were also with you on the Dawn cruise and we had a wonderfull cruise also, its a shame that the minority make such an impact :mad: we had a similar experience on the Pacific Sun a couple of months later we arrived for dinner and had two wonderful couples on the table and as we sat waiting for the late couple:confused: we couldnt believe it a woman in her 50s and husband arrived she announced in a loud voice im absoloutly pssd if you get my meaning, they then proceded to order more drinks which I may say they got:eek: and the next hour was horrific loud obnoxious language from the wife and they kept ordering more and more drinks they were never told no they had enough, needless to say we moved dining rooms the following day. But what a shame as the other couples were lovley so its not only the young ones, although I agree with you it dos spoil the holiday as its a holiday for everyone and we all work so hard to have these breaks

Jacquie

Thats awful Jaquie i would have moved tables also.

I think we were spoiled on the august cruise with all the lovely people we met and think we just expected that again.

I am looking at the princess cruises maybe oct/nov 09 form melbourne next, might be a bit quieter just before all the festivities. I also like the look of the Pac sun from brissy up the queensland coast.

Marg

Do you have anything else booked?

Archived