Questions about eating on Princess Cruises

Hellolost

Hi there. We are going on our first cruise ( 11 day Alaskan cruise on the sea princess July 23, 2009) and I have a few questions.

I was offered early or late dinner dining. Makes sense. But what about breakfast or lunch? Do they have those on a time schedule too or can you eat breakfast or lunch when we want?

What foods do you recommend on the Sea Princess? What foods to avoid lol? What are the best deserts? (mmmmmm)

From what I am reading if something tastes horrible I can request something else. Is that correct?

Is there somewhere to look at the menu for this cruise. I tried the cruise line website but didn't find anything.

My honey is a big eater. Can he get seconds? or does this look bad?

What kind of things can we get from room service?

Thank you all for your help.

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room are on schedule, and that will be posted in your Patter. I think breakfast always starts in the dining room at 7:30 and runs to maybe 10:30. Lunch is something like noon to 1:30 or something. You'd think I'd remember this, wouldn't you? :D

Anytime you get anything you don't like, you can always ask for something else. Don't be shy! They don't mind at all.

All the souffles are great. Chocolate pecan pie and Chantilly swans are great. Creme brulee is great. Ice cream is great. You can see that I like desserts!

Chilled fruit soups are always good, and so is mushroom soup.

I've had pretty bad fried seafood plate at lunch on Princess, but last cruise DH had some that he said was good.

Your honey can definitely get seconds, multiple entrees, multiple desserts or whatever it takes. My honey nearly always gets more than one dessert, and he's been known to have all of them!

We stick as much as possible to eating only at mealtimes, and, oddly enough, we've never ordered room service at all. On Princess, room service is cold stuff - sandwiches and the like and continental breakfast.

Overall, the food's very good on Princess, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot.

You can go to breakfast and lunch at anytime the dining room is open for those meals--you are not "assigned" a time for those meals.

We, too, don't enjoy room service--there's really nowhere to eat, and room service requires multiple plates, all those condiments....it's just messy!

We have been on 5 Princess cruises and my now 15 y/o son always orders room service. Typically, it is a cheeseburger with two patties and extra catsup every night at midnight.:eek: We let him indulge in that it is included in the cruise price and something we very rarely do ashore.;)

One thing I would not miss is the French Toast from a recipe by James Beard. They only serve it in the main dining room on the day of disembarkation. It is dipped in a mixture of cornflakes and some light sweetener, then made like other French Toast. I like it so much, I found the recipe in an old cookbook and keep corn flakes around just to make the French Toast.

In answer to your other questions...you can order as much as you want to eat of anything. If you want two entrees, they will bring them together, or one at a time, just tell your waitstaff what you prefer. If you want your salad after your entree, tell them, they will do whatever you want...the sky is the limit. There is always a night they have Baked Alaska, with a parade of the staff, and entertainment by some of the waiters. I do not care for Baked Alaska, so I just tell my waiter the night before what I would rather have instead of the Baked Alaska, and they have it ready for me after the parade. If you really like something they serve one night, let your waiter know that you would like it again the next night, and they will have it ready for you. You will be spoiled by the staff, they really want to serve you whatever, however much, and whenever you want something. I have even had them take my lunch food and send it on a tray to my cabin when I discovered that I was running late for an appointment at the spa. I did not ask them to, they were so on the ball about my suddenly leaving before the food came (my husband was still there, so he explained why I left). One more thing about dessert...never order less than two!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived