All or nothing?

McMer

We've decided to book our first RSSC cruise starting in Reykjavik and ending in Southampton. We thought we would have Regent do our air and transfers, but they have told us that we have to take their hotel selection to get their air and tranfers. I understand that they don't want to drive all over town for their transfers. We could stay in one of their hotels for a third of the price; however, we can't even purchase a transfer without the air/land package. Is it usually all or nothing with Regent? Also could anyone whose been to Reykjavik tell me how far the dock is from SAS 1919 hotel?

When sailing Regent (except when on the PG) we book our own Hotel (via Tripavisor recommendations) and then just take a taxi to the ship. As u point out Regent's Hotel price (even including transfers) is very high..however, many want the convenience of going with Regent's air, hotel and transfers..

countdown.pl?name=Colonelwes&date=1-3-2010&image=Beach-9&text=Spirit

Wendy, I don't think it's anything new. For some reason you can't just book and pay for a transfer with Regent. The air component seems to be the magic key. I'm sure it does have something to do with the location of pickups and drop offs but even on the mass market lines you can book transfers separate. We had to arrange our own transfers from the city of Santiago down to the cruise port of Valparaiso which is a good distance away from where you fly in. I asked if I booked Regent's hotel would we qualify for the transfer and I was told no. I was willing to pay the much higher Regent rate for the hotel in order to have the transfer but it was still a no go as we didn't take their air. The strange thing about it is we were booked on the same itinerary with SilverSea in October and when buying SS's hotel in Santiago they were willing to transfer you to the port with the hotel package so go figure.

Pat

Sorry, but what I'm reading from the OP is that to get Air (which usually includes transfers unless you deviate), you'd have to book the pre-cruise hotel as well.

We always book our own hotel, and usually deviate, so miss out on transfers, which is usually no big deal. But if they wouldn't book our air unless we did one of their extortionate pre-cruise packages, I'd be seriously p'd off.

As for transfers, cabs are usually better anyways. Sometimes Regent will sell a disembarkation transfer to an airport like Heathrow, which is sometimes a decent idea, but can't be had in advance.

Hey Wendy, nothing to be sorry about. I think it's stange too and as the OP says it's like it's all or nothing. The only explanation can be that certain ports are harder for the transfer so that's why they want all or nothing. Either way it would make it much easier for the pax if Regent would just charge a fee for the transfer and provide the service like other cruiselines do. Even if they have to inflate the cost I'm sure people would pay if it was offered. Hmmn, I just thought of something that I will add to my next cruise evaluation card.

Pat

McMer,

Pls, do yourself a favor and price the air and transfers on your own as well. I will bet that is cheaper, the same way you found out with the hotel. In all my cruises, including those in Regent, I have found that to be the case.

Case in point is air to Reykjavik. 3 years ago we did a cruise with Regent that left from Reykjavik and ended in Copenhagen. Airfare was half doing it by ourselves.

Reykjavik is very small, so the port will be very close to your hotel.

It used to be very expensive to take a cab from the airport to the city, but they had shuttle buses that run continuosly that would take you to a point close to downtown and then you could take a cab to your final destination. That is what we did. But now that the Iceland krona (and their economy) has imploded I wouldn't be surprised it is much cheaper. I'm sure your hotel could tell you what the costs currently are.

Editing to add: In a QM2 cruise that ended in Southhampton we took the train to London, very reasonable. If you are going to the airport I know there are buses that go from Southhampton as well, well below what the cruise charges you. The only inconvenience is that you have to cab from the port to the station (which wasn't a big deal, and we were five persons with lots of lugagge!)

McMEr:

When thinking about airport-hotel transfers, keep in mind that a taxi from the airport to center city Reykjavik may cost 14,000 kronur which is about $110 (figuring about 126 kronur to the dollar). As one poster suggested, you'd be better off taking a shuttle bus such as Reykjavik Excursions which will cost you 1,500 to 2,000 kronur (about $12). You can find out more about them online: http://www.re.is

Iceland is more affordable than it was before the devaluation, but it's still pricey. Be sure to get outside the capital and see some of the countryside--it's other-worldly and IMO, spectacular.

Wendy, I don't think it's anything new. For some reason you can't just book and pay for a transfer with Regent. The air component seems to be the magic key. I'm sure it does have something to do with the location of pickups and drop offs but even on the mass market lines you can book transfers separate. We had to arrange our own transfers from the city of Santiago down to the cruise port of Valparaiso which is a good distance away from where you fly in. I asked if I booked Regent's hotel would we qualify for the transfer and I was told no. I was willing to pay the much higher Regent rate for the hotel in order to have the transfer but it was still a no go as we didn't take their air. The strange thing about it is we were booked on the same itinerary with SilverSea in October and when buying SS's hotel in Santiago they were willing to transfer you to the port with the hotel package so go figure.

Pat

I booked Regent's hotel in Hong Kong last October which included pickup at the airport and transfer to the ship. I booked my own air - no problem.

McMer

We'll also be on the same cruise as you. We never planned to use RSSC air, transfers or hotel, in fact I'm not even sure if we could have from the UK. In answer to your original question, the SAS1919 hotel is very close to the port, in fact to parts of the port you could easily walk - but I'm not sure where exactly the Voyager will be moored. In any case a taxi would only be a 5 minute ride.

I would agree with most of the previous posters in that it would be easiest to catch the airport bus from the International Airport, and then catch a taxi from there. It is approx. an hours drive from the International Airport to the city. Airport buses meet each flight and depart the terminal 30-40 minutes after arrival. I've done it a couple of times and it's easy.

We are hiring a car but we plan to spend a couple of days outside of Reykjavik (on the South coast) before driving into the city (in actual fact it's very small - more of a town really).

I booked Regent's hotel in Hong Kong last October which included pickup at the airport and transfer to the ship. I booked my own air - no problem.

Again inconsistancies and that's good that you could this past October. I tried to book their hotel for a cruise this February hoping to get transfers and was told nope......no transfers included unless you book their air as well and this was not me asking it was my TA.

Pat

Thank you all so much for your replies. It really helps to have so much first hand information and it's good to know our TA was correct. We decided to do our own air, hotel and transfers. It took a fair amount of juggling on the flights but I think we've figured it out. Thank you, Stabilizer, for your web link. That should help with tours too. Hope to meet you on the cruise, Englishee. We're going to Iceland about three days before the cruise but we'll be using Reykjavik as a base since it's our first trip to Iceland as well as our first trip with Regent. We're looking forward to it all!

Archived