Can anyone help me find a top for this skirt?

FOURunderFOUR

Ok fashionistas, I bought this skirt in apricot and I have no clue what to pair with it. http://*****.com/7b4emm

We are leaving in about 2 weeks for a Western Caribbean cruise. DH and I did a similar itinerary last year, so I have tons of cute sundresses, but I was 7 weeks pregnant and we went alone. This year we are taking all 5 of our kids, including our 4 month old which I am still exclusively breastfeeding, so I can not wear any (or too many) dresses. I have been looking for skirts that I can wear during the day on shore and dress up for dinner at night. I thought this one was cute, and I got it together with an overland equipment bag to use as a diaper bag/purse for $26 total. But now I am having buyers remorse as I have no clue what to pair it with. If you enlarge the pic you will see it has appliques all over it which I think makes it hard to wear with a top that has any pattern in the fabric. I have a cream linen dressier tank from Gap that I thought would work, but the fabrics clash. I have several snugger fitting plain tank tops, and while I think they could be fine for daytime, they are not nearly as dressy as I would like for the dining room. Can anyone suggest anything? I am a 32yo mom of 5, on the tallish side and in relatively good shape (IMHO) for having 5 kids in 6 years. I am darker/olive skinned (I tan easily) with reddish blonde hair.

Thanks so much for your advice!

J

Ok fashionistas, I bought this skirt in apricot and I have no clue what to pair with it. http://*****.com/7b4emm

We are leaving in about 2 weeks for a Western Caribbean cruise. DH and I did a similar itinerary last year, so I have tons of cute sundresses, but I was 7 weeks pregnant and we went alone. This year we are taking all 5 of our kids, including our 4 month old which I am still exclusively breastfeeding, so I can not wear any (or too many) dresses. I have been looking for skirts that I can wear during the day on shore and dress up for dinner at night. I thought this one was cute, and I got it together with an overland equipment bag to use as a diaper bag/purse for $26 total. But now I am having buyers remorse as I have no clue what to pair it with. If you enlarge the pic you will see it has appliques all over it which I think makes it hard to wear with a top that has any pattern in the fabric. I have a cream linen dressier tank from Gap that I thought would work, but the fabrics clash. I have several snugger fitting plain tank tops, and while I think they could be fine for daytime, they are not nearly as dressy as I would like for the dining room. Can anyone suggest anything? I am a 32yo mom of 5, on the tallish side and in relatively good shape (IMHO) for having 5 kids in 6 years. I am darker/olive skinned (I tan easily) with reddish blonde hair.

J

I think a white top would be lovely with this also .. or perhaps a tropical print that includes some complimentary shade of tangerine/apricot.

In a different question, I have a friend who will have a 5 month old at the time we were all planning to cruise and we couldn't find a cruise line that would allow an infant under 6 months. Can you tell me which line you are cruising ?

Thanks

I think that something like a vest or sleeveless top would be nice with this, especially if you're trying to dress it up.

I'm trying to attach some pictures, but Firefox on the Mac doesn't respond the way it is supposed to!

The dotted swiss is from the Gap.

There is a cute paisley top at Ann Taylor Loft that has a nice shape:

http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=16511&N=1200005&pCategoryId=199&categoryId=204&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_204&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Moss%20Olive&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

And then Anthropologie has several really pretty blouses that would dress up your skirt, but still not be too constricting. Here are links to a couple:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-4995464178801874912&id=910036&parentid=APP_TOPS_SHORT&pushId=APP_TOPS_SHORT&popId=APP_TOPS&sortProperties=&navCount=1&navAction=&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=brm&colorName=BROWN+MOTIF

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/category.jsp;jsessionid=108BC0BDF782CD0DAA5CF8EF3125DFCB.app43-node2?popId=APPAREL&fromDisplayPage=fromDisplayPage&navAction=jump&navCount=0&pushId=APP_TOPS&id=APP_TOPS

I think it's nice to find something a little bit different, but all of these could be worn with slacks, jeans or capris throughout the summer.

Good luck!

Congratulations on your baby! You're busy, I'm sure! I think the skirt is really cute & fresh looking with great versatility. I wouldn't pick a top with any print, personally. I love the idea of a wrap-around, although I'm not sure it would be convenient for breast feeding. The tops everyone suggested are all really cute, but won't the prints kind of clash? JMHO. In any event, have a wonderful cruise!

In a different question, I have a friend who will have a 5 month old at the time we were all planning to cruise and we couldn't find a cruise line that would allow an infant under 6 months. Can you tell me which line you are cruising ?

Thanks

We are going on the MSC Orchestra (and holding our breath after all recent negative reviews). Our TA, after checking with the line, told us they do not have any age minimum. They did require us to bring our own infant-sized coast guard approved life jacket, as they will not have one small enough. We chose this line because our kids are still very young and therefore not too discerning or picky, and probably won't remember a ton about the trip anyways (the oldest is only 5 1/2). We are paying just over $1000 for our family of 7, which is actually a bit less than we paid for a balcony room on a cruise with a similar itinerary last Jan on RCCL for just DH and I. MSC offers "kids sail free" - you basiclly are allowed two kids per 2 adults per room - my mom and dad are sailing with us - and you only pay the port charges and taxes for the kids. They allowed us to have the 3rd child in our quad room since she is the infant. HTH.

To the rest of you, thanks for your advice. I found a cute white wrap top from JJIll that may work. I am not sure how easy it would be to nurse in though. I may order it and see when I get it. I do have a white button down with ruffly 3/4 sleeves and some ruffle on the collar that I could possibly wear open over a white cami. That might be easier to nurse in. I'll have to try it once I actually get the skirt in hand, as it too has a "pattern" in the fabric.

I'll take any other suggestions if anyone has any!

J

Waterbaby

i LOVE the Ann Taylor top, but I think the green would clash with the apricot, wouldn't it? I do have a pair of white linen pants that I think would look cute with that top... I saw the Gap dotted tank too, but was worried that the dotted pattern would clash with the appliques on the skirt, like OBNurse mentioned.

OBNurse (I am an OB PA - well I was before I had 5 kids in as many years! I hope to go back to work SOMEDAY!!). I agree that the patterns will probably be too busy and a wrap-around would be next to impossible to nurse in (although I am considering ordering a sleeveless one from JJill). Do you have any suggestions for colors other than white that would work? I do have a black tank that is a bit ruffly and dressier than a plain cotton one, but I am worried that black is to "heavy" for the caribbean, and I don't think I am taking any black shoes (unless I take a pair of heels for my formal dress).

J

Waterbaby

i LOVE the Ann Taylor top, but I think the green would clash with the apricot, wouldn't it? I do have a pair of white linen pants that I think would look cute with that top... I saw the Gap dotted tank too, but was worried that the dotted pattern would clash with the appliques on the skirt, like OBNurse mentioned.

Sorry - I thought your skirt was white!

I personally would wear a pattern with the appliquéd skirt. But then maybe when I'd get it on it would look odd. I do have an appliquéd jacket and I wear a patterned top underneath it.

Anthropologie really has some wonderful stuff. There are a few tops that would go well with apricot, although they aren't on sale :(.

I have a very similar skirt in white and I have a black tank that I wear with it. The tank has some detail and a little bit of ruffle that dresses it up. And, it has lycra which I would think would help with breast feeding. I would definitely go with something solid, whether it is white, black, or another color.

Enjoy the cruise! We'll be on MSC in just a few weeks also!

I really think a smaller print would be all right with this too, since the appliques are tone on tone, almost like a nuetral. The problem is, you'd probably have to try it on with the skirt to know for sure.

The white tops several people have suggested would look very pretty as well. It can be hard to 'match' colors, especially online.

Some things are just hard to find others that 'go'. I have a red eyelet a-line skirt that I love and that looks good on me, but, after several years I've yet to find a top that looks just right. Plain white is ok, but not great, with this skirt. So I know your problem!

Hi. Have you looked at the Sahalie website. They are having a sale too and I saw a couple tops that might work for you. They have several tanks or halter tops with built in bras, one halter I saw was a nice chocolate brown. I also saw a semi sheer bouse with some flare but not real ruffly in white (#77234) that would be pretty over a halter or camisole or even a tank. Most of Sahalie's stuff is sporty but they have some nice tops that might work with your skirt. I also thought if you found a simple top then had a pashimi type wrap, maybe even something with a little bit of apricot pattern or something really sheer in maybe a chocolate or deep blue with maybe just a touch of the apricot. Just a thought.....have a great cruise. :)

J

I'd go for something in Chocolate and pair it with metallic or wood accessories.

Here is a site with all kinds of tank tops for new mothers. It's called Motherwear. I think some of them could be dressed up or down such as the Camilla tank.pixel.gif04073_2.jpg

Lacy Cotton Nursing Tank

$26.00

04112_1.jpg

Camilla Tank

$28.00

Picot Trim Nursing Tank

$21.00

Elizabeth Tank

$28.00

04122_2.jpg

Touch of Velvet Tank

$32.00 $25.00