Recent Diamond cruisers

randyat1001

It is our first Mexican Riviera trip and wondered if anyone had recommendations on excursions, either Princess or private operators that we should not miss. We are able bodied but not looking for zip line type activities.

Also any tips on shopping would be appreciated..

Thanks, Randy

Although we are following you on the Diamond in January...when I did this cruise two years ago everyone raved about Randy's Happy Horses in Mazatlan! I spoke with her by e-mail and met her when we got off our ship...she was really wonderful. Although I am unable to take her excursion, if I could I would cuz everyone says it's the best! :D

We did the hiking tour a couple years back and it was MISERABLE! We got on a bus and rode to a small village. From there, we hiked up this mountain (switchbacks) on a tiny mule trail. We were suppose to see nature, blah, blah. I did see a spider web along the way. Once we reached the top of the mountain, we rested then hiked back down the other side. There awaiting us was suppose to be some hot tub springs where we could relax and enjoy. NOT! There were 3 cement tubs filled with algae and warm water. A young mexican girl was there selling water. We continued on down the river where we had to wade across with our shoes on. We dodged a few cows who were sharing the river with us (DON'T DRINK THE WATER). When we got to the other side of the river, we were back onto a flat dusty road. Out of no where, a big dump truck going 50 miles an hour passed us. All you could see were the whites of our eyes! We walked about a mile and guess what? We had to cross the river again! There in the river were a group of horseback riders from the ship. We got back to the village where we started from, and lunch was waiting for us in an open cabana-type cafe. Tacos, refriend beans and rice. No way was I going to eat anything from that place, I just knew that I would be hugging the toilet the rest of the cruise. The excursion was my daughter's idea and she paid for us to go on it. But never again! However, if you're feeling adventureous, you enjoy being hot and humid, getting dirty, then go for it!

Randy - we are just off the Diamond last week and I second the vote on Las Caletas is P.V. We did not do it on this trip as we have done it in the past but highly reccommend it. In Cabo there is really no need to book an expensive ship tour for Los Arcos or Lovers Beach as you can just negociate a price with a water taxie guy at the pier where the tender docks. There were lots of them. If we would have had the time, we found one guy who would provide the snorkel equipment and take us our and back for $15 each. You would pay 3 times this for a Princess tour. Can't speak about Randi's in Mazatlan as I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT do than ride a horse on a hot beach in the sun...sorry. We booked the shopping, show, lunch and beach tour and would not recommed that as we paid alot to do what we could have done on our own for about $10 each. Hope this helps.

Sue and Kent

Diamond Princess 11/06/04

We were on the 10/16 Diamond sailing - loved the ship!! She's a beaut!

Puerto Vallarta is my favorite shopping port on this itinerary. Lots of great stores with silver, leather, etc, etc, etc. Pacific Jewelry is my personal fave.

Mazatlan, I would recommend Stone Island, you can book direct through Maz-Info.com (I think that's it) and save about $30 over what Princess charges. We enjoyed it very much, almost deserted beach, open bar, lunch, water activities included. If you want the website, post again and I'll see if I can find it.

In Cabo - if you want a relaxing, kick back day....take a water taxi to The Mango Deck (right next door to The Office). 2 for 1 HUGE fresh mango margaritas - happy hour from 10am to 5pm. LOL The best mango margaritas I've ever had.

We really enjoyed the Diamond. It was the first ship I've ever been on that always had deck chairs available near the pools. All the saving of loungers didn't seem to be a problem on this ship at all. We enjoyed the aft pool and hot tubs - never crowded. I also thought this ship had the best food of all our cruises. We loved the Pacific Moon dining room and their rotating selection of sushi. If you find time - try the afternoon tea service - fabulous almond tarts!

If you have any more questions, please post and I'll try to respond in a timely manner. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I was tempted to book this ship again next year - but she's being repositioned to the Far East. But her sister Sapphire is taking over - so who knows, we might just have to see how she is.

Thanks to all for the valuable info. Tannise it sounds like we could travel together as I think that your suggestions will work for us perfectly. Eliaire I loved your account, don't think we will be doing that!!!! Sueandkent, Randi sounds great but I am with you on the horses. Not my thing at all!

We typically do our own excursions and like that freedom. Again I appreciate everyones helpful advice.

Randy

Randy,I would highly recommend Randi's happy horses in Mazatlan. She is a wonderful and very outgoing lady, her horses are very gentle. We were just riding with her on Nov 3 and our two children (11 & 8) had no problems at all. The ride along the beach is fantastic and you end up at Victor's beach resturant at the end of the ride(food not included in price of ride). You sit at tables on the sand and look out over the ocean, very simple but GREAT SHRIMP. I have also heard great things about the Jungle Canopy Tour in Puerto Vallarta. In a nutshell you use zip lines to cross the jungle at heights of up to 200 feet. The people I talked to on our cruise who did this excursion said it was a thrill of a lifetime. We will be booking this on our next cruise in Oct 05. Here is the ling to Randi's

http://www.randishappyhorses.com/

Good Luck

Gerald

Randy,

You will love it. Randi takes good care of you. Also, your level of experience is matched to the horse, so no need to worry about that. She buys the first soda or beer, the rest is up to you. We have done it 3x and go back every time we are in Mazatlan. Its fun and the shrimp at Victors is to die for. Happy Sailing!

Excursions:

Puerto Vallarta: We went to Las Caletas Hideaway through Vallarta Aventures. The crew was energetic and fun. After a 30-40 minute boat ride from the ship to Las Caletas we were presented with a very organized list of activities. First there was trip to visit the Sea Lion (we missed this one), then a group snorkeling tour, a lengthy kayaking trip, paella cooking lesson, pottery class and nature walk. Las Caletas is a perfect location to enjoy the sun and warm water of Puerto Vallarta. Beverages were free flowing after the snorkeling tour and the buffet style lunch was delicious. On the way back to the ship drinks continued to be served and the crew put on a very entertaining show. We were very impressed with Vallarta Adventures. We did not book this excursion through Princess, but were on the same boat as the cruise passengers. If anyone would like to know the company we booked with, please e-mail me. tjsfnesh@aol.com

Mazatlan: This is where booking outside of the cruise excursions proved to be a HUGE mistake! We booked a Stone Island Excursion with a not so reputable company. We were given an impromptu, unscheduled stop at a cathedral and the cliff divers then driven to a very scary dock where our boat was docked. The boat was old and dirty. We were given a boat ride to see the caves and sea lions and then brought to Stone Island, which is a short ride straight across from the ship. Stone Island is a long strand of beach with a row of restaurants and activities. There are ATV’s to rent, banana boat rides, horseback riding, kayaking and snorkeling. We did the banana boat ride, but passed on riding the malnourished horses owned by this particular company. Live and learn I say. The tour company was Puesta De Sol that we booked with Mazatlan.com.mx. DO NOT USE PUESTA DE SOL!!!!!

Cabo San Lucas: We have been here before so we knew our way around. We walked from the tender pier to the beach via the harbor front shops past the very Americanized mall. We picked up a glass bottom water taxi to take us around Los Arcos from the Sea of Cortez to the Pacific Ocean. We skipped Lover’s Beach (been there done that). The water taxi brought us back to the tender pier where we shopped a little before returning to the ship. There is definitely not enough time in Cabo.

Is not just a strand of beach, but actually a real island with families that live there and a coconut plantation. Randi's horses are not malnourished as others who have taken her excursion can testify to that fact. So don't worry about it with Randi....take your bathing suits if you go, as you can refresh in the ocean after the ride and lunch. Happy Sailing!

Is not just a strand of beach, but actually a real island with families that live there and a coconut plantation. Randi's horses are not malnourished as others who have taken her excursion can testify to that fact. So don't worry about it with Randi....take your bathing suits if you go, as you can refresh in the ocean after the ride and lunch. Happy Sailing!

You are right there is more to Stone Island than the sandy beach, but from what I saw this is where most of the tours/excursions ended up. Technically, Stone Island is a pennisula, but you are right about it being inhabited with families and a coconut plantation. I have heard nothing but good things about Randi's Happy Horses and King David. There seemed to be a lot of good things to enjoy about Stone Island, just not when it is offered through the Puesta De Sol Tour company.

Yes the beach area is where tourists end up because that's really where all the action is on Stone Island. I just didn't want readers to think that it was nothing but a strip of sandy beach. Mazatlan is a fishing port with not alot of activity to offer tourists. PV and Cabo have more to do IMHO....Happy Sailing!

We also did Randi's ride and had a blast! I agree with Mouseman...Randi is agraet lady, her horses were wonderful and the ride was a lot of fun. The beach by Victor's is really nice and you can walk out quite a way and still only have weater up to your waist. The garlic shrimp was fantastic (I am not a big shrimp eater but ate all nine pieces in record time!) It was $10.00 for a huge plate of food.

You can check out Randi's website to get more info and pictures.

Joyce

Archived