Abbreviations

tuff2

Why do so many posters abbreviate words in the post? I think it could be for a couple of reasons. #1 they are just too lazy to spell the words and # 2 are too uneducated to know how to spell correctly. This is becoming an annoying and stupid trend. Some of us are at a loss to understand what you are talking about.:mad:

Why do so many posters abbreviate words in the post? I think it could be for a couple of reasons. #1 they are just too lazy to spell the words and # 2 are too uneducated to know how to spell correctly. This is becoming an annoying and stupid trend. Some of us are at a loss to understand what you are talking about.:mad:

Sorry for the frustrations. You could count me under both 1 and 2. Just ask when you have questions - you will get plenty of people happy to translate. :) I can't right now because I am waiting to go to work and so won't be online long. Any other time would be happy to help you understand any computer-eze,

I am both 1 and 2. Sorry for your frustrations. Just ask any time you need a clarification and help will come......

Perhaps you could give us a few examples of what the abbreviated letters are and we could let you know what they mean. There is a list of some of the things you will see on Cruise Critic that many people use.

Example:

DH could mean Dear husband, Darling Husband, Dumb Husband. It all depends on the mood one is in.

DD usually means Dear or Darling Daughter

DS usually means Dear or Darling Son

DW usually means Dear or Darling Wife.

It is just computer talk to speed up the posting.

I will try to find the list for you so you can see all the words and their abbreviations.

It is not done to annoy anyone.

Here is a List from PhoenixCruiser.

Copy it and next time you are not sure what you are reading, look at this list.

If you still do not know? Ask us. ;)

ASAP = As soon as possible

ATM = At The Moment

AYT = Are you there?

BBL = Be Back Later

BF = Boy Friend

BIL = Brother in Law

BL = Belly laughing!

BRB = Be Right Back

BTW = By The Way

DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc

DF= Dear Fiance

DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband) , Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc

DIKU = Do I know you?

DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc

F2F = Face to face

FAO = For attention of

FAQ = Frequently asked question

FIL = Father in Law

FWIW = For what it’s worth

FYI = For Your Information

GF = Girl Friend

GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike

IM = Instant message

IMCO = In my considered opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IRL = In real life

ISO = In search of

JK = Just Kidding

LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs

MIL = Mother in Law

OIC = Oh, I see!

OMG = Oh My Gosh!

OP + Original poster

OT = Off Topic

OTOH = On the other hand

PITA = Pain in the “acronym” (Use this if a board friend has gotten a little heavy handed with acronyms)

PITA = Pain In the A$$

POV = Point of View

PTMM = Please tell me more

ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

SIL = Sister in Law

SO = Significant Other

SU = Spousal Unit

TG = Thank Goodness

TGIF = Thank Goodness It's Friday!

TIA = Thanks in Advance

TMI = Too Much Information

This is nothing compared to the DisBoards; you need an advanced degree to navigate those forums.

Example "I got a gv at GF with the DDP, 6 day PH, and MNSSHP in Oct. Any Disboarder worth their salt will know exactly what all of that means:D

While it is confusing at first if you troll the boards long enough it begins to make sense;)

I use abbreviations because it is faster, plain and simple. Has nothing to do with my education, just laziness:D

This is nothing compared to the DisBoards; you need an advanced degree to navigate those forums.

Example "I got a gv at GF with the DDP, 6 day PH, and MNSSHP in Oct. Any Disboarder worth their salt will know exactly what all of that means:D

While it is confusing at first if you troll the boards long enough it begins to make sense;)

I use abbreviations because it is faster, plain and simple. Has nothing to do with my education, just laziness:D

Would you translate that please?

Would you translate that please?

Just guessing here:

I got a garden view at Grand Floridian with the Disney Dining Plan, 6 day Park Hopper, and MNSSHP (OK you got me there..... :confused:).

And, yes, we have had Garden View (as well as Lagoon View) at Grand Floridian before so I did have an edge. ;)

Mickey's not so scary Halloween party :D

Darn, darn, darn. And I was so close! I saw the October - and have actually done the Holloween party before (4 years ago I think it was) so that was one of my thoughts. But I couldn't remember the actual name of the "evening". And couldn't get the letters to work out to anything that made sense. And being the "play fair" kinda girl that I am I refused to go to the Disney site to "peek".

Trick-or-Treating as an adult has never been so much fun. ;)

Just guessing here:

I got a garden view at Grand Floridian with the Disney Dining Plan, 6 day Park Hopper, and MNSSHP (OK you got me there..... :confused:).

And, yes, we have had Garden View (as well as Lagoon View) at Grand Floridian before so I did have an edge. ;)

Mickey's not so scary Halloween party :D

Thanks to both of you! I NEVER would have figured that out.................

Sorry to be blunt, but, you need to get with the times. Either learn the abbreviations or continue to be frustrated. Its only going to get worse from here......
I agree. Also, what's lazy is one person's view is efficient in another's.

You think this is bad, you should see the abbreviations used at my work site. I work for a county school department of education, they abbreviate everything you can imagine.

I work with special needs kids and part of the job is to administer medications. My first mistake (with meds :eek:) was giving the wrong dosage because next to the dosage was a pencil notation DC. Fortunately the mistake was caught before anything happened. I had a problem with the pill splitter, the nurse helped me out and said "didn't you see the DC?" what the heck is that??? Discontinue :o, I was only going to give half the med.

It's been years since then, but every time I read about wrong meds given in hospitals in the news, I go right back to that moment.

At least there are no side effects other than frustration on message boards. So I think you're absolutely right, too many people rely on abbreviations that not everyone understands.

You think this is bad, you should see the abbreviations used at my work site. I work for a county school department of education, they abbreviate everything you can imagine.

I work with special needs kids and part of the job is to administer medications. My first mistake (with meds :eek:) was giving the wrong dosage because next to the dosage was a pencil notation DC. Fortunately the mistake was caught before anything happened. I had a problem with the pill splitter, the nurse helped me out and said "didn't you see the DC?" what the heck is that??? Discontinue :o, I was only going to give half the med.

It's been years since then, but every time I read about wrong meds given in hospitals in the news, I go right back to that moment.

At least there are no side effects other than frustration on message boards. So I think you're absolutely right, too many people rely on abbreviations that not everyone understands.

At least in computer-eze the appreviations tend to remain the same. In the medical field they are constantly changing what is acceptable! :eek: I realize that is to make things safer but geez......

Frustration aside, I find that as I see new abbreviations, I just ask. If I don't, then I would be lazy.

Posters on this site are almost always kind and happy to help educate me. Check out Alexis who just listed all those terms! Cool thing to do. So, join in by being equally kind and they come through for you. Cheers! :rolleyes:

We were all "lost in translation" at one time or another!

When I first came to CC and saw some of the abbreviations I had no idea what people were saying, but little by little and some help by friends I soon found it easier and before I knew it, I was using it and found it is faster and easier to post.

Its a sign of the times and its here to stay!

And I thought the DisBoard was a place where people could dis each other.:p:D

Thanks for the morning laugh Wilda. You are so correct.

Archived