Any PG-lovers ever done the Star Flyer to FP?

Leejnd4

I did my one and only PG cruise a couple years ago with my Mom. I've been telling my DH about it ever since, and we've been talking about booking it. So tonight he says yeah, let's do it - Spring 2010! I'm thinking YAY - I'm finally gonna get back to FP on the PG! I mean, it was pure paradise when I was there, but I have to admit there was something a little sad about being in one of the most romantic places on earth with....my MOM. :o

Imagine my disappointment when I go to check out 2010 itineraries for the PG - and there ARE none! OH NO! And we can't go in 2009. I've got a Baltics cruise with Mom coming up in June, and then DH and I are doing a 3-week tour to Machu Picchu and Galapagos in October. April 2010 would be the first month we could consider traveling.

So I started looking at who else might be cruising in FP during that time frame, and saw that there's a couple mass-market mega-ships (no WAY), as well as Star Clipper's tall ship, Star Flyer, which is doing 10 & 11 day itineraries around that time. I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has ever done one of those Star Flyer cruises to FP? I realize it won't be the PG (waaaah:() but DH and I did a Windstar cruise to Costa Rica not too long ago, and he LOVED it. He's much more casual than I am, plus he's an avid sailor (we own a sailboat, which is his baby) so he loved the whole nautical theme on Windstar. I'm thinking Star Flyer might be similar, but it's hard to tell - I can't seem to find all that much info on it. There's only ONE member review on Cruise Critic!

I'm a little concerned that, after being spoiled on the PG, I might find the Star Flyer to be too...well...rustic, if that's the right word. It would be great to get some feedback from someone who's done both. I'm fine with taking the "step down" in luxury, but not to the point where it's uncomfortable. I'd just like to have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks for any feedback!

Leeanne, a couple of things:

- we saw the Star Flyer in Papeete, docked next to us. They had a dance troupe on board and the whole ship was rocking with Polynesian music. Looked very nice. Later we saw her coming into Moorea under sail.

- The PG *will* be around, just not under the Regent banner. It remains to be seen what standards they will maintain, but they *claim* to be carrying on in the same style.

I looked at some reviews on the ship. It is really beautiful and has some lovely features.

There were a couple of items that would concern me. First, the 130 sq. ft. cabins. A bit small. Also, because the ship does not have stabilizers, it is not recommended for those prone to seasickness. It has high "over door jambs" designed to keep any water that may splash onboard from going inside. This may only be a problem for the elderly, or, if like me, you don't look where you're walking and occasionally trip over things.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm continuing to search for information on this ship, although it's rather hard to find. Their forum is super quiet!

What's becoming clear to me is that Star Flyer falls somewhere between the former Windjammer barefoot cruising experience, and Windstar's somewhat more upscale cruise/sail experience. Which is fine - I always thought my DH would love Windjammer, whereas for me, I thought it might be just a little TOO "downscale". It appears that the focus of the Star Flyer is the nautical, sailing aspect of the experience, while offering somewhat more upscale accommodations/service than Windjammer, and similar sports and excursion opportunities as the PG and Windstar (albeit less-upscale accommodations).

This will probably suit us very well. While I do love luxury cruising, and thought the PG was the ultimate luxurious FP experience, I also appreciate more adventurous types of travel. I can deal with the less-luxe "hotel" aspects - hey, DH and I did a Belize land trip last year, and stayed in a rustic cabin in the woods overrun with gecko's, and loved it! What I CAN'T deal with are mass-market-type cruises - massive crowds, tacky entertainment, long lines, over-run ports. This Star Flyer ship goes the opposite direction, which I can handle. As for DH, he'll probably go crazy over the sailing part of it all. He'll be out there wanting to help trim the sails and tie the knots and climb the masts. ;)

Travelcat, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I just read about that, and it's definitely something to keep on my radar. I DO tend to get seasick, but usually only on smaller boats (like our 27-ft sailboat), not on large cruise ships. Fortunately, I am one of the lucky people who respond very well to Transderm Scop patches - I wear one whenever we're on our boat, and am fine. If I DON'T wear one, I inevitably will end up spending the entire trip hurling over the side! So I know they work for me. If we do this cruise, I'll be sure to bring an adequate supply.

I'll continue to search for info, but this may be a great solution. While I'd love to do the PG again, I don't really want to wait to see what's in her future, and I'm leery about trusting that she'll end up in FP, operated to her past standards. We prefer to book our vacations well in advance, and the Star Flyer has its 2010 itinerary already out there.

LeeAnne - You state that, "Star Flyer falls somewhere between the former Windjammer barefoot cruising experience, and Windstar's somewhat more upscale cruise/sail experience." In fact, the 2009 Berlitz Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships rates Star Flyer slightly higher than the Windstar ships. Of course, that guide is not infallible by any means and has some mistakes; but we've found it to be the most reliable of the cruise ship guides available.

You might want to get a copy of the guide. It appears that Star Flyer is much more of a genuine sailing clipper ship than the Windstar ships are, which should please your husband. Maybe they'll let him join them in hoisting the sails (and repairing them).

With regard to motion sickness, you might want to look into a non-patch scopolamine product called Scopace. It is in tablet form and may be taken in different doses depending upon body weight. The great thing about it is that is takes effect very quickly when one needs it and then leaves the system just as quickly when no longer needed, unlike the patch. We used Scopace for our two stormy days (of an 18 day cruise) in Antarctica on the Hanseatic a couple of years ago. Here is the website: http://www.motionsickness.net/versus.html . We are completely sold on the product; and the travel clinic we use has added Scopace to its recommended list.

Have fun sailing in FP.

Cheers, Fred

Hey Freddie, long time no chat!

Wow, that's interesting about the Berlitz rating. I based my earlier opinion on the few reviews I could find of Star Clipper cruises, and my experience on Windstar, and came to the conclusion that Windstar was a slightly more luxurious experience. But that's great that Berlitz says it's the other way 'round!

I do think there is some truth to Windstar being slightly more upscale, at least in terms of the "hotel" aspects of it, if not the overall experience. From what I can ascertain, the cabins really are smaller and more basic, and the dining might not be quite as gourmet as what we experienced on Windstar. But you are absolutely right - the hubby is going to LOVE the true sailing aspect of it. I read somewhere (can't remember where now) something to the effect of a Star Clipper vacation is a "sailing adventure", not a cruise - whereas Windstar is definitely more of a classic cruise, albeit of the small-ship variety, that just happens to have sails.

One other interesting note: evidently, since we took our Windstar cruise, the cruise line has been sold (it was a Holland America subsidiary at the time - now it's owned by Ambassadors International). I've read and heard from a number of different sources that the quality of the experience has declined since that sale took place. I have no idea if this is true - just reporting what I've read/heard - but if that's the case, then perhaps that could explain why Star Clipper is rated higher by Berlitz. The bottom line is, from everything I'm reading, I think it may be a very good solution for my husband and me. (I probably wouldn't take my Mom on it - she loved the luxury aspects of the PG far too much - but for hubby, methinks this could be perfect!)

That's what's so wonderful about cruising today - so many options, so many choices, to fit virtually any preferences - and aren't we so fortunate to be able to even make these choices? :)

Ahhhh....Windjammer. You brought back some great memories for me. I used to say cruising on Windjammer was like camping on the water! ;)

Still, 3 of the best vacations I ever had were on Windjammer ships. Sad that I don't have an opportunity for another.

Have a great time on Star Clipper, Lee Anne.

Archived