Early Disembarktion???

ireland666666

It really all depends. You can do "self debarkation" on many ships now. Which means taking your luggage off with you....you will be the first off the ship. I could be very early, 7:30 or 8AM, but if there is any delay, you'll be in trouble with that early a flight.

I am very worried, but the flights are booked and it will cost alot of money to move them :(. The ship docks in Port Canaveral. If we could get off by 8am I think we would be okay. Are there taxi's waiting there to take you to the airport, or do we have to call one? Thanks for the info!!!

I am very worried, but the flights are booked and it will cost alot of money to move them :(. The ship docks in Port Canaveral. If we could get off by 8am I think we would be okay. Are there taxi's waiting there to take you to the airport, or do we have to call one? Thanks for the info!!!

The good news...yes there will be cabs for you to catch. Also you can ask for the "first off the ship" group.

The BAD news....if there is even one hitch in the plan, you won't make it. Take your anti stress pills, because you are going to be one freaked person. If there is a delay in customs, and you never know ahead, you won't get off until 8:30. Then there will be others, who because of lower fares, booked early flights. So you will be hunting for your bags and waiting in line at the airport securtiy with a lot of other stressed and hurried people. And....You won't be the only ship deboarding.

If you don't want to change your flight, I would prepare with a list of all the "next flights out" and head straight to the desk if you miss the flight and see if you can get on the next flight. Chances are not good, but at least you are armed with some info.

Remember you won't be able to board at the last minute anymore. The airlines don't leave the doors open for late arrivals. Too much to do security wise. Boarding time is usually 40 min beofre the flight leaves.

You do realize that Port Canaveral is 47 miles from Orlando Airport, right? It's going to take close to an hour to get there from P.C. and that's without traffic. Also, the LAST thing you're going to want to take is a taxi. You think changing your flights is expensive, I shudder to think what that cab ride would cost.

You also didn't state how many people are in your party. You might want to look into a limo service to pick you up and take you to the airport. Or, you can rent a car, but even then you'd have to catch their shuttle to take you to their location offsite (about a 5-10 minute drive) and get your car. That process will probably add 30 minutes at PC not to mention the time spent checking the car back in at the airport.

Another alternative is to contact your cruiseline and find out if they have any ship-to-airport transfers that work within your time frame. That would probably cost about $20 or so per person. Don't pin your hopes on it, though.

Seriously, you need to change your flight. 11:30 is too early to fly after your cruise without becoming a stressed-out maniac and that would destroy your relaxing vacation.

Theresa

It will cost me a fortune to change the flight so that is pretty much out of the question. If I miss it, i miss it. But I think I am going to book a shuttle service. I was thinking of telling them to be there at 8am? Or maybe 8:30? What time would be more realistic? Thanks very much

Just to reiterate ... DON'T use a cab. Find a limo service or a private shuttle so you don't need to wait for other passengers.

We do self-disembarkation and are usually in our car, driving out of the parking lot at 7:30 am. BUT BUT BUT ... you have to be able to lift and carry ALL of your luggage to use this option. So pack carefully!! And they are also limiting the number of people who use this option, so no guarantees you'll be able to do this.

During the cruise you will receive a questionnaire asking what time your flight is, and be sure to hand that in. When they give you your luggage tag colours, check them and make sure they are the earliest ones. If they aren't then swap them at Guest Services. They will give you a hard time because you aren't supposed to book a flight for before noon.

As long as you are off the ship and standing at the curb by about 8:00 am you should be fine. It is a 45 minute drive from the Port to the Airport. It takes longer if you have to return a car. If you're at the airport by 9:15 you will be fine.

Cross your fingers and be sure to have checked out options in the event you miss your flight.

Good Luck If you miss your flight, getting out of Orlando could take you more than a day. With less flights and totally booked flights, stand bys are no longer happening. There's a reason why early flights are so cheap, and it's because airlines know cruise passengers can't make them. Also, Orlando airport is VERY crowded and lines for check in and security take a long time. You must be completely checked in at least 45 minutes before your flight or else you risk losing your reservation. If even one thing goes wrong on the ship, you may be stuck on board until after 9am. And, if there is an accident on the road to Orlando, which happens all the time on that road, well, you're getting my point. It's at least an hour from the port to Orlando International.

I'd tell them 8:15 and to WAIT for you, if you're not outside when they arrive!

You should be able to make it just fine, assuming the interstate isn't too tied up.

(and the ship will NOT give you a hard time for booking an early flight!!!!)

Thanks so much cb at sea!!! I will book 8:15. I read that if you call they will wait for you, but they charge $75 for each 1/2 they have to wait :(

I'd pay the extra $75 if you have to ... better that than to find out they are late! :eek:

Just be really aware of how much stuff you're hauling, and make sure customs has no reason to detain you for even a second!

Thanks so much to everyone that gave me helpful advice, I appreciate it! I will be sure to tell Carnival of my situation and to pack light :) I dont usually buy anything anyways so customs should not be an issue.

Custons is always an issue..whether you buy something or not you need to take care of business. As are lines for security checks in the airport.

Let us know how this all goes for you.

Unfortunately, the time to ask these questions is BEFORE everything is already booked!

I intentionally booked an early evening flight when we sailed from Port C and just rented a car for the day.

Lots of people on these boards will tell folks, "oh no problem! just do the self-disembarkation and you'll be off early!"

Unfortunately, even that method doesn't always go as planned. On our recent cruise, they started calling folks very early who had not reported to immigration (all non-US pax have to do this on the ship). They continued to call one couple. Over and over and over. The self-disembarkation did not even begin until after 8 am. And, of course, people were REALLY starting to panic by then, which just made it a mess. Even the self-disembarkation is called by decks, so you should probably discuss this with someone at the purser's desk to ensure that you can be in the first group off.

Personally, I don't ever want to use that method.

Good luck. I hope you make it, but be prepared for a stressful morning!

No one can leave the ship until it is cleared by Customs. Then, trust me, the crew wants to turn that baby around ASAP usually. They will begin disembarkation as soon as Customs gives the thumbs up. If you can carry ALL your baggage, and need NO assistance from the ship, you can get in the first mad rush.

Archived