There will be problems

seapenarth

There will be problems filling Seabourn ships.

1 Worldwide financial situation

2 More internal competition

3 Even more cruise ships arriving on scene

What do we think is the best way to handle this, given Seabourn probably has the most loyal and appreciative cruisers.

Do you offer the regulars deals which are difficult to refuse or try to tempt others from outside ?

Should offers be "onboard credit for 7 day cruises" ? (as some are now.)

Giving $ 1500 per couple for each of 3 couples if one of them has not cruised before with Seabourn ? (as some are now.)

Encourage cruisers to stay on longer ?

Should double, treble or even more, onboard booking discounts be given ?

Give an extra 10% across the board.

Or other incentives as however much we love them, there are limits for all to consider, as at the moment they appear to be only scratching at the surface. Maybe the new lists due out for after April 2010 will show something but I feel they have to act sooner before competitors take the initiative.

As I mentioned on another thread, virtually all of their triplet sailings going forward have wide availability. Most of the pre-meltdown bookings have now worked their way through the "system." Seabourn, after all, only has to fill 600 berths weekly, in comparison to most other lines which must fill thousands. Yet they are unable to do so. The obvious reason is that they are quickly pricing themselves out of the current market and, with all the new ships (including their own) becoming available in the next year or so, it will only get worse. I do think Seabourn management has been late to recognize the gravity of the world economic situation and its effect on "luxury" anything, including cruising. Other lines are throwing everything but the kitchen sink on the table to capture forward bookings but Seabourn's reaction, to date, has been rather languid.

There's a new 60% off sale starting today for a week on mostly 7 day Med cruises, plus a couple of early season longer cruises. They will probably address those sailings which have sold the fewest suites with the biggest discounts.

There's a new 60% off sale starting today for a week on mostly 7 day Med cruises, plus a couple of early season longer cruises. They will probably address those sailings which have sold the fewest suites with the biggest discounts.

They are just picking at the problem rather than acting in an "aggressive want business way" :(

The problem is there comes a point where if they lower prices too much or give too many incentives they will have to make up for it somehow by lessening service standards or food quality or number of staff. Who among us wants to see that?

Hi Wripro,

Just wondering where you found the info about the sale?

Thanks for your help.

Grace:D

A very simple, but, smart opener would be to put back in place the "freebee" Seabourn Experience for each cruise, very stupidly eliminated by management for already published/booked cruises!

The Seabourn Experience is certainly not a deal maker for me. As a solo cruiser, I am now priced out of the market. But I have great memories.

The Seabourn Experience is certainly not a deal maker for me. As a solo cruiser, I am now priced out of the market. But I have great memories.

Don't you think some lower single supplements will return to the triplets once the Odyssey and other big sisters are launched?

wripro-The same thing happens if they don't sell enough cruises at the current prices--income drops and cuts have to be made (or prices lowered). Given that Seabourn was able to provide a great cruise experience only two years ago at 20%-30% lower prices, I think they should still be able to do so with a significant price cut.

wripro-The same thing happens if they don't sell enough cruises at the current prices--income drops and cuts have to be made (or prices lowered). Given that Seabourn was able to provide a great cruise experience only two years ago at 20%-30% lower prices, I think they should still be able to do so with a significant price cut.

I think across the board cuts mean the most, rather than giving benefits to certain groups. I favour the onboard discount, being increased, signifigantly to benefit current cruisers of Seabourn but of course with the new ships coming along ??? The current 600 cruisers a week using Seabourn will not be enough, or be prepared to cruise enough, to fill another 450 places on each of 1, 2, 3 ships. Cruisers will pay more for better facilities on the new ships but we will want to retain the style of service we have got used to on the sisters at fair prices. In the current conditions this will be a difficult and demanding marriage. I think that it will be difficult to mantain the same quality and standards over the new fleet.

Although this has been denied and decried, I think ultimately Seabourn will deal with the revenue crises by cutting capacity to meet demand, which means some or all of the triplets will go. In the current and likely prolonged economic environment they cannot come close to filling six ships at current prices. Heck, they can't even fill three small ships.

I only hope SB finds a way to maintain standards and lower its per diem prices. I like the idea of a higher onboard discount for loyal passengers.

As for what SB gave us two years ago at 20-30% lower prices we have to remember that their costs have risen in many areas. For one things the triplets are two years older now and require more maintenance to keep them in good shape. I'm sure food costs have risen as have staff salaries. I certainly would like to save as much as possible when i sail Seabourn but I also want to be assured that when I board the ships I will get the product I now love.

Costs have risen in the past two years--fuel, labor, food, etc--and suddenly and dramatically dropped. Seabourn's fares reflect the financial "good times"--not the current reality. Like many cruise lines, Seabourn embarked on a plan to build new ships and raise prices during a "boom" because that was when money and credit were freely available. The idea was that retiring baby boomers, flush with cash from fat 401(k)s and a large cushion of home equity, would embark on an orgy of world travel, including luxury cruising. Well, that isn't going to happen as planned and companies which counted on that must quickly adjust simply to survive.

Costs have risen in the past two years--fuel, labor, food, etc--and suddenly and dramatically dropped. Seabourn's fares reflect the financial "good times"--not the current reality. Like many cruise lines, Seabourn embarked on a plan to build new ships and raise prices during a "boom" because that was when money and credit were freely available. The idea was that retiring baby boomers, flush with cash from fat 401(k)s and a large cushion of home equity, would embark on an orgy of world travel, including luxury cruising. Well, that isn't going to happen as planned and companies which counted on that must quickly adjust simply to survive.

If they were my ships, IMHO, I would rather have them sail half full at regular fares than full at half fares. Less food/drink expense and less wear and tear plus standards are maintained.

Should anyone need further evidence that Seabourn's rates are out of whack with current economic reality, consider this lead from today's well-known financial "journal":

"Stocks tumbled as more losses and upheaval in the banking sector and dire trade and retail data hinted at an economy at risk of a deflationary spiral."

I am not greatly affected by the Economic crisis if at all but all the cruise lines where offering great offers I could not ressist some of the offers other lines where offering... I payed $16,000 for 3 people for 7 nights on the Seabourn Spirit. Thats with the savings. Following the economic crisis I have booked 4 cruises AND a month long tour of the USA. Now sure it was not on luxury lines but not budget ones either. For a return crossing on the Cunard Line, 7 nights on the MS Amsterdam of Holland America, a cheap 4 night vacation from my vacation I payed LESS than I did for 7 nights on Seabourn. Now even if the service isnt up to Seabourn standards I will take all these cruises and land stays and flights over a 7 night cruise only any day.

And more and more people I think will think like this. You can have SO many more cruises for your money with the way the econmy is going you must be out of your mind to cruise Seabourn. RSSC was an option for me, and they charged the same as Seabourn did for the 7 day for a 14 day cruise including air. I turned that down as I felt my tour of the USA and 4 cruises where too tempting esspicaly consdring I live in Bahrain in the mideast, however it shows that Seabourn isnt dealing properly with this. And getting rid of Seabourn Experiences.... what where they thinking?

They need to wake up and fast! Thankfully daddy Carnival Corp. is there to support them but they need to put thier act together! (managment wise ofcaurse im not talking about the ships and their luxury) .

If they were my ships, IMHO, I would rather have them sail half full at regular fares than full at half fares. Less food/drink expense and less wear and tear plus standards are maintained.

Yes, but buying in bulk on food/beverages, they get lower pricing. So that makes no sense.

I am not greatly affected by the Economic crisis if at all but all the cruise lines where offering great offers I could not ressist some of the offers other lines where offering... I payed $16,000 for 3 people for 7 nights on the Seabourn Spirit. Thats with the savings. Following the economic crisis I have booked 4 cruises AND a month long tour of the USA. Now sure it was not on luxury lines but not budget ones either. For a return crossing on the Cunard Line, 7 nights on the MS Amsterdam of Holland America, a cheap 4 night vacation from my vacation I payed LESS than I did for 7 nights on Seabourn. Now even if the service isnt up to Seabourn standards I will take all these cruises and land stays and flights over a 7 night cruise only any day.

And more and more people I think will think like this. You can have SO many more cruises for your money with the way the econmy is going you must be out of your mind to cruise Seabourn. RSSC was an option for me, and they charged the same as Seabourn did for the 7 day for a 14 day cruise including air. I turned that down as I felt my tour of the USA and 4 cruises where too tempting esspicaly consdring I live in Bahrain in the mideast, however it shows that Seabourn isnt dealing properly with this. And getting rid of Seabourn Experiences.... what where they thinking?

They need to wake up and fast! Thankfully daddy Carnival Corp. is there to support them but they need to put thier act together! (managment wise ofcaurse im not talking about the ships and their luxury) .

This is very true and one of the reasons I haven't been sailing Seabourn often. I may not get the quality of food and service on other lines, but I am still able to have a nice vacation and 3-4 times as many a year for the same price.

I am not sure what people expect Seabourn to do....lower their prices to the level of Holland America? If they do you will get a Holland America experience. And if that's what one wants Holland America already exists. Four Seasons is not lowering its prices to Marriott levels either. I am sure SB is going to try to come up with the most effective price points possible while still delivering the same product. That only makes good business sense. But if they lower to the point where it costs them to sail, they will soon sail off into the sunset.

Archived