New requirements for Australian visitors to the USA

joll

When checking traveldoctor.com re vaccinations for our cruise, I came across an article in their news section about changes to the entry requirements for travellers to the US using the Visa Waiver Program (Australians) which came into effect from 12 January 2009. It appears that apart from having to have the appropriate style passport, we now have to obtain approval through the US Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov , PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

Apparently, there is no charge to complete the application through the Department of Home Security site but during my research, I noticed there are agencies who are charging $40 USD plus to assist applicants, so be aware!!!

Does anyone else know about this??

When checking traveldoctor.com re vaccinations for our cruise, I came across an article in their news section about changes to the entry requirements for travellers to the US using the Visa Waiver Program (Australians) which came into effect from 12 January 2009. It appears that apart from having to have the appropriate style passport, we now have to obtain approval through the US Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov , PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

Apparently, there is no charge to complete the application through the Department of Home Security site but during my research, I noticed there are agencies who are charging $40 USD plus to assist applicants, so be aware!!!

Hi joll,

It has been well advertised for some time. This is simply a replacement for the forms that were previously used (W.94 and I-94) and were handed to you by the airline staff prior to landing.

The on-line process only takes a few moments and is valid for two years. They vet your application immediately and you get the chance to correct any mistakes well before you travel, rather than at the immigration counter after a tiring flight.

There will always be opportunists out there waiting to take your hard earned dollars for nothing. Just do it yourself and save the money - it is very straight forward.

The Visa Waiver scheme always amused me.

On my first cruise out of the States they were checking passports before embarkation to make sure docs were in order and I didnt think we needed anything else ,until told

You have to fill out a form to say that you dont need a form.:rolleyes:

I did ours a couple of weeks ago. After answering about twelve questions about things like 'am I a terrorist' the approval is immediate - wonder what sort of checks are done! Also had to fill a shorter version for Qantas for their passenger list. But you still have to fill in that confusing form on arrival.

Vera

Passports without the chip are still valid. They just have to be machine readable.

From Homeland Security.

"As of October 26, 2006, any passport issued on or after this date by a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country must be an e-Passport for VWP travelers to be eligible to enter the United States without a visa."

We went to the US in Nov 08. It was not compulsary then but I still did the online application. There was no cost. My passport was issued in 2000 and was fine. Mine had the >>>>>>>> with some details among it. On the bottom of the first page. As long as you have this and you are staying no longer than 90 days you won't need a visa. We had no problems at all.

Bugger. I have to get new passports when we visit next year...grrrr . They don't expire for years but don't have the chips in them.

Don't panic as long as your passports are machine readable >>>>> on the bottom with you name among it you are fine. You don't need a chip. We went end of 08 we were fine and my passport was issued in 2000. I still did the online application for homeland security though. Cost is free.

Archived