Walking distance/time in Rome

And remember Rome is built on 7 hills. I don't think there is one street, alley, walkway that is level.

I'm 62 and in relatively good health. My traveling companion is 78 and very limited walking ability. The hills, stairs, walking about did her in, and that was only the first 3 days of our 21 day cruise to the Med. We ended up having to spend much more on taxi's then we had planned on because she couldn't do all the walking necessary to get from place to place.

We found we really had to pace ourselves or not be able to enjoy the cruise at all.

That was very cool to map out the path to walk between two points and get the estimated time and then go down to 'street level' and see actual photos of the route. I love google.

I agree Susan that the times are probably not very accurate for a first-timer getting lost or having to consult the map several times along the way!

Does anyone know if taxi stands are easy to come across? In particular around the Vatican? That's the one area we might need to get a taxi to return to our B&B quickly rather than fool with the bus.

Does anyone know if taxi stands are easy to come across? In particular around the Vatican? That's the one area we might need to get a taxi to return to our B&B quickly rather than fool with the bus.

There are taxi stands at the Vatican (just to the right of the museum entrance as you face it) and right across from St. Peter's Square (on via della Conciliazione). There are quite a few stands in the historic area of Rome .... Rick Steves' Rome 2008 shows the location of them on the maps in his book.

There are taxi stands at the Vatican (just to the right of the museum entrance as you face it) and right across from St. Peter's Square (on via della Conciliazione). There are quite a few stands in the historic area of Rome .... Rick Steves' Rome 2008 shows the location of them on the maps in his book.

You took the words right out of my mouth, er...keyboard.

You took the words right out of my mouth, er...keyboard.

LOL ... if a 'sticky' is posted advising that it's against guidelines to recommend RS books, you know that we are going to be the cause of it. Then we'll have to resort to posting, "Send me an e-mail if you want a recommendation for a great guide book.":)

Thanks for the info on the taxi stands. I feel better knowing we

should have no problem getting a taxi back from the Vatican to our B&B if we're in a hurry.

I bought a different guidebook - I might have to borrow Rick's from a friend - sounds like it has some good tips.

Archived