Walking distance/time in Rome

It seems like most of central Rome can be seen by walking but I would like to get an idea of how long it really will take to get from pt. A to B. We're there for 4 days pre-cruise in May so I'm not talking about maximizing time on a one-day port excursion.

Does anyone have an opinion on how long it would take to walk (we're fit & used to walking a lot) from, for example, the Spanish Steps to the Trevi Fountain?

Or the Piazza Navona to the Vatican - is that walkable or is it farther than it looks on the map?

What about the Pantheon to the Forum?

We'll be getting Roma passes so if we need to use buses we will but I'm hoping to mainly walk.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Does anyone have an opinion on how long it would take to walk (we're fit & used to walking a lot) from, for example, the Spanish Steps to the Trevi Fountain?

Probably about ten to fifteen minutes depending upon the crowds on the sidewalks. An easy walk.

Or the Piazza Navona to the Vatican - is that walkable or is it farther than it looks on the map?.

It is further than it looks on the map. Consider the metro from Barberini or Spagna.

What about the Pantheon to the Forum?.

About fifteen minutes, again depending upon the crowds. An easy walk.

We'll be getting Roma passes so if we need to use buses we will but I'm hoping to mainly walk..

Good idea. Remember that most buses hub and spoke out of Termini. Don't forget to validate your transportation pass.

Remember that Rome is built on seven hills. There are easy and more difficult ways to get from point A to B in many cases (ie - walking uphill and downhill when a less direct route would be pretty much level ground.)

Suggest playing with Google Earth a bit to see what is higher/lower in the city.

Hi Sparky,

We spent 3 days pre-cruise in Rome in October and most of it on foot, although we used the metro and buses when time was short, or energy was running low.

We walked from our hotel at P. Navonna to St. Peter's Basilica a couple of times (approx. 20 minutes). The entrance to the Vatican Museums is an additional 5 minute walk.

That was the only direct walk we did of the 4 that you mention as we always seemed to make detours when walking between other sites, either by choice or by confusion (getting lost is a wonderful way to discover places that you would not have otherwise!):)

Thanks, GPSLover. That sounds good. When you say to validate the ticket does that mean there's a slot you have to run it through inside the bus &/or metro station?

There are 2 times when I guess we will definitely have to use transportation. Two tours are scheduled (on different days) at the Vatican at 9:15. Our B&B is in Trastevere, which I guess is too far to walk or would take a pretty long time. I'm sure the people at the B&B can advise but it seems out of the way to go to the metro stop (closest at Coloseum I think?) to go all the way around to the Vatican (changing lines at the metro station near Termini). I'll have to figure out a bus route that will work maybe.

Preferably I'd take cabs for that but it seems from what I read that you can't just hail them driving around - that you have to find a taxi stand so I'm not sure about the logistics of that from our B&B.

I've seen posts about websites showing taxi stands - I'll try to google that. Would you think there are taxis around the Vatican to get back to the B&B quickly?

Thanks for the info!

And thank you, Susan. You found the metro & buses easy to figure out?

We'll mostly have enough free time in our itinerary to just meander and getting lost won't be a big deal. But there are the 2 appointments I mentioned above where I want to make sure we can get to the Vatican from our B&B on time. I should probably email our B&B to get their opinion of the best way to do that.

Thanks again!

The metro was very easy to use, the buses a little more confusing, but we did use the bus 3 times and didn't get lost.

Re Vatican to Trastevere, my Rick Steves book says bus #23 or 271 from Piazza Risorgimento (Vatican) to Trastevere.

You might find the tram between Trastevere and Largo Argentina convenient when heading to P. Navona and Pantheon (although we didn't use it as we walked from P. Navona-Trastevere and back while on a walking tour from our R. Steves book).

Great idea staying for 4 days ... I thought 3 would be enough, but we were sorry not to have more time, which gives us a good excuse to go back.:)

p.s. We found the Roma Pass to be good value (we used it for entrance to Borghese Gallery and the Colosseum) .... the Roma Pass transportation card only needs to be validated the first time you use it (in a machine in the metro station, or on a bus.)

Thanks, GPSLover. That sounds good. When you say to validate the ticket does that mean there's a slot you have to run it through inside the bus &/or metro station?

There are 2 times when I guess we will definitely have to use transportation. Two tours are scheduled (on different days) at the Vatican at 9:15. Our B&B is in Trastevere, which I guess is too far to walk or would take a pretty long time. I'm sure the people at the B&B can advise but it seems out of the way to go to the metro stop (closest at Coloseum I think?) to go all the way around to the Vatican (changing lines at the metro station near Termini). I'll have to figure out a bus route that will work maybe.

Preferably I'd take cabs for that but it seems from what I read that you can't just hail them driving around - that you have to find a taxi stand so I'm not sure about the logistics of that from our B&B.

I've seen posts about websites showing taxi stands - I'll try to google that. Would you think there are taxis around the Vatican to get back to the B&B quickly?

Thanks for the info!

I would not take the metro from Trastevere to the Vatican. My sister and her husband stayed a little further out from Trastevere and I think they figured out a bus route to the Vatican.

You could also find a nearby hotel and ask them to arrange for a taxi to pick you up -- just be aware that it will be a little more expensive because the taxi will start the meter from his starting location, not at your pickup.

I'm sure there must be a taxi stand in Trastevere; perhaps your B&B owners could advise...

Thanks for everyone's help.

I'll do more research on bus lines from Trastevere.

Still 3 months away but I'm starting to get really excited about this trip and am trying to pin down some of the details.

Thanks again! :)

I love the answers and I too , thank all the folks for it gives me a good idea of what to expect as well.

Having said that, might I suggest the hop on hop off bus experience? I find that if they offer these in a City I will take it as one of the first things I do. The ticket is generally good for a 24 hour period so in that first day, you have transport but more importantly, in a few hours you get an incredible overview of the City. You will then know the distance between point A and Point B as well as knowing what will be the "must see" places. I do find that it is really worth the money and if you have done the tour in 1/2 day, you can uise it as transportation the rest of the period. I normally get a ticket beginning at noon and then it is good till noon the next day.

If you like to walk, you will not need any public transport. Even the Vatican is easily accessible if you're staying at a hotel within the historic center. I think from my hotel on Via Corso it was maybe a 20-30 minute walk? The walk along the river bank is beautiful and there are bridges across to the other side at regular intervals. I walked to and from the Vatican and even went back to that area a second day, to go to Castel Sant Angelo. Walking sure beats getting ripped off by the seedy cab drivers. ;)

If you like to walk, you will not need any public transport.

You could cover the major sites without getting on a bus or subway, and walking in Rome is wonderful, but if you find yourself at the Vatican at noon, and you've been on your feet since 8 a.m., and want to head to the Colosseum/Forum to explore for the afternoon, it's nice to be able to hop on the metro to get there quickly.

I agree that walking along the Tiber is very nice too ... we enjoyed doing that on our way to the Vatican and when we went to Trastevere.:)

Another highlight of walking in Rome is coming across so many interesting drinking fountains ... with such refreshing water!

You're very lucky to spend four days in Rome, as there is so much to see. We did that in April, staying in Trastavere (loved it!). We walked to Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, the Colosseum and Forum as well as many other places. To get to the Vatican we went along the Tiber toward the Colosseum and then caught a bus over. (Your B and B host will be helpful about which bus to take and where to catch it.) We took the Metro from the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Steps. It would be good to have a small fold up map (like Knopf) to help you find your way around. We did take the Largo Argentina (?) tram back one time, were dropped off on a different street, and had a little trouble finding our apartment after dark.:o If you take the address in writing that should help!

You're very lucky to spend four days in Rome, as there is so much to see. We did that in April, staying in Trastavere (loved it!). We walked to Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, the Colosseum and Forum as well as many other places. To get to the Vatican we went along the Tiber toward the Colosseum and then caught a bus over. (Your B and B host will be helpful about which bus to take and where to catch it.) We took the Metro from the Trevi Fountain to the Spanish Steps. It would be good to have a small fold up map (like Knopf) to help you find your way around. We did take the Largo Argentina (?) tram back one time, were dropped off on a different street, and had a little trouble finding our apartment after dark.:o If you take the address in writing that should help!

Thanks for the tip about writing down the address!!We have rented an apartment by Piazza Navona and are hoping to mostly walk around! Just reading the boards gets me excited!!

How long from the Termini to the Piazza Navona?

From the Termini to the Pantheon?

Thanks so much!

They would both be a good hike ... I would say ~ 2+ miles to P. Navona and maybe 1/4 less to Pantheon.

We took a bus from Piazza Navona to the Termini (#492). Unfortunately, there are no metro stops that are close to P.Navona, unless you planned to see the Spanish Steps and took the metro there, and then walked to P. Navona (~25 minutes).

They would both be a good hike ... I would say ~ 2+ miles to P. Navona and maybe 1/4 less to Pantheon.

We took a bus from Piazza Navona to the Termini (#492). Unfortunately, there are no metro stops that are close to P.Navona, unless you planned to see the Spanish Steps and took the metro there, and then walked to P. Navona (~25 minutes).

How easy is it to catch the bus at termini to Piazza Navona? How long would the trip take by bus?

I have heard the buses are a little confusing?

How easy is it to catch the bus at termini to Piazza Navona? How long would the trip take by bus?

I have heard the buses are a little confusing?

Yes, buses can be confusing, especially figuring out where you are on it when nothing looks familiar. On our trip to the Termini from our hotel at P. Navona, I resorted to highlighting the route on a map as we went along. The trip took about 20 minutes. There might be a more direct bus than #492 though.

Since we were there for 3 days, we had a chance to figure the buses out somewhat ... but if you are there for the day, coming out of the Termini and looking for the right bus to get to P. Navona, it could be a challenge.

On our first visit to Rome (a port day) we had no trouble taking the train and getting on the metro at the Termini ... with only 2 subway lines, it's hard to get lost on it. You could take the metro to the Spanish Steps, then walk to the Trevi Fountain, on to the Pantheon and then P. Navona. I would allow a couple of hours to do that.

If you are short on time and planning to fit in other sites, I think a taxi would be worthwhile. We didn't use any in Rome, but many people here report using them and the advantage of saving time by doing so.

During our vacations in Rome we have walked everywhere and loved it. However, be aware you need sturdy, well-broken in shoes to manage all the walking on cobblestones.

The only time we took a cab was to go to the catacombs, and we got that cab at the Largo Argentina taxi stand. There ARE locations where taxis hang around and wait for passengers, and you'll notice them when you walk around.

I posted a very long set of what we did in Med ports on three separate cruises. We had several days in Rome so I think you can get an idea of how much can be done easily on foot and on the metro. I called it an encyclopedia since the ports are in alpha order. I hope it helps!

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885786&highlight=

The Roma Pass is great value. We used it this past summer. We do a lot of walking in Rome but we also use public transportation. One way to get a quick 'bead' on Rome is to jump on one those small 'electrico' buses that wind in and out of the historic centre. You can take one from St. Peters. to the Borghese Gallery (sp).

Google maps walking directions says Termini to Pantheon is about 2.4 Km, a half hour give or take to walk. Piazza Navona is only a few minutes walk from there, 2.9 Km from Termini. If you are short on time and since it sounds like you have a larger group, taxis might be your best bet from Termini to either the Pantheon or Piazza Navona and walking between the two. Now if you plan on going to the Trevi Fountain as well, you could take the Metro to Barberini, walk to Trevi from there, about 7 minutes, then its just a 6 minuute walk or so to the Pantheon, then another 6-7 minute walk to Piazza Navona. It really depends on where else you are stopping. It sounds like it may be worth your while to go to Google maps, put in all your stops and select Walking for the method and then move the stops around and decide which ones you want to do bus/taxi/metro between and which ones are walkable. Just enter something like "termini, rome, italy", "piazza navona, rome, italy" as a stop, "pantheon, rome, italy", etc.

Re google maps and walking times .... ideally one can walk those distances in the times mentioned, especially if you are familiar with the area and setting a good pace, but the streets in Rome can be confusing (many small streets, going in all sorts of directions), so if you aren't familiar with the city, allow some extra time to read maps and negotiate the crowded streets.

Archived