Live Grand Jan 16 to Feb 13

vickie_bernie

Hi Vicki,

Love reading you and Toto's live post on the Grand. Will be sailing Feb. 27 and its so much fun reading all the great things that's going on.

:D I'm a big cookie eater and wondering if they have the cookies out on the buffet, we are also big buffet eaters and hoping the food is good. If you eat there can you please comment?

Love good movies, really like good dramas. a good comedy now & then as long as they are not just stupid.:rolleyes: Any good ones playing?

Thanks so much for your time and continue to have a great time.

Debbie

Debbie, I am sure Vicky will confirm, but I will also reply that there were lots of cookies (and brownies) at both lunch and dinner on the buffet line. We often take a plate back to the stateroom for munching or a late night snack. Usually they are either chocolate chocolate chip or plain chocolate chip. But they are delicious.

Vicky, are they still available at both lunch and dinner?

Glad to hear you enjoyed St. Vincent, it really is a beautiful island. :)

Thanks so much, Vickie & Bernie, for the reports here and on our roll call. We love walking around and are looking forward to our ports. We hope to be able to get onto the tour through Silvermoon, but if not we hope to go to the Accra beach - only Gerry needs a snorkelling buddy.

See you Soon!

Heather & Gerry

Thanks for your LIVE FROM--just booked yesterday for the cruise on the 30th--can't believe we did it--we'll have 2 days to prepare for the trip--including very basic things such as dental appt.--banking etc..--and OH-YES--got to pack--trying not to even think about it--thanks for mentioning a light rain jacket--

Hope to meet you on the ship--will be there Friday--flying in from Long Beach on Jet Blue--non-stop--getting there about 6am--will be at a Hilton Hotel for the night--don't remember which one.

See you soon

Safe Travels

Nancy:D

Vickie-

We are so enjoying your island updates. We will be sailing on the Grand in February and would like to know if the Italian singer 'Maurizio' is onboard your cruise. We spent many evenings listening to his wonderful music several years ago on the Golden Princess and would be so excited to hear if he will be on our upcoming cruise. He's just a wonderful entertainer!! If he is onboard, which lounge or Atrium area?

Hope your cruise brings many more rainbows!

Linagrl.

Vickie-

We are so enjoying your island updates. We will be sailing on the Grand in February and would like to know if the Italian singer 'Maurizio' is onboard your cruise. We spent many evenings listening to his wonderful music several years ago on the Golden Princess and would be so excited to hear if he will be on our upcoming cruise. He's just a wonderful entertainer!! If he is onboard, which lounge or Atrium area?

Hope your cruise brings many more rainbows!

Linagrl.

We also remember Mauritzio from the Golden coming across the Atlantic in Sept of 2002. We are on the Grand Feb 27th so will have to keep him in mind. He had a huge following so many people that they moved him to the Atrium for performances. Ladies would get a seat in front very early and wait for the show!!!

How many formal nights are you going to have? I know the Jan 2nd sailing only had 2 but I thought I read we are supposed to have 3. I appreciate all your info and input it helps the days go by faster:D

Andrea

I think Vickie has reported there will be 3.

But I should back up and report on Barbados. We did book Silvermoon and we had a group of 12 and were to be on the Silvermoon II but they put us on III so we were really spoiled. Friends of ours from the Emerald joined us and it was GREAT. Highly recommend them. Almost tempted to do it again in two weeks. Saw the turtles and loved feeding the fish. Make sure you wear lots of sunscreen - we did but still got a little red. Must say the drinks started to get to me and I was feeling no pain as I walked back on board.

vickie

Glad to see you enjoyed Silvermoon and took advantage of the rum punch! :D You know we have done the tour twice and it really is one of our favorites! Wish we were there with you!

Larry

Actually a chance at only 2 formal nights ???? can't believe only 2--probably 3--will find out soon--boarding on the 30th.

Nancy:D

I asked before and Vickie said that there were 3 formal nights. I heard that there was no dry cleaning available on the Emerald for the current cruise. Tell me that isn't true on the Grand!! I don't have much to dry clean, but some things just can't be washed.

Definately three formal nights, 1st sea day, 3rd sea day and the day we are in La Romana.

There is dry cleaning available on board, and free for elite too.

Great pic Pete, that was a beautiful rainbow yesterday in St. Vincent.

Marizio (sorry spelling) is on this ship. tonight saw commedian and also a juggler, both were good.

Tonight was French night, great french onion soup, and veal scallopini but the raspberry brule was sadly a disappointment. We love creme brule but for some reason every single one we have had on board doesn't have the sugar crusted.

Tried to get thru to room service today but gave up after five mintues both times.

Silvermoon is the best, they even sent me an email to follow up and thank us again.

Today we climbed the volcano in St. Kitts we booked the tour thru Thedoford Grey. Other people on the roll call used him for the island tour,. which we did last year and highly recommend and got great feed back again this year.

We were crazy enough to think a volcano heck we can do it, and we did. There were three in our group it is about a half hour drive away and took about 2 hours to get up to the top and half hour up there and then 1.5 hours to get down. You do need to be physically fit and wear appropriate shoes.

Last night we did Sabatinis with the CC group.... everything was very good - service was phenomenal, order the lobster and unfortunately all of us who did order it found it overcooked and rubbery, they quickly gave us something different.

Well I am off to soak in the tub, oh my sore muscles! Tomorrow is St.Thomas and YES we are docking at Crown Bay.

Today we docked right beside the Emerald and when we sailed away the captains of both ships had some fun with their competing horns.

Definately three formal nights, 1st sea day, 3rd sea day and the day we are in La Romana.

There is dry cleaning available on board, and free for elite too.

Great pic Pete, that was a beautiful rainbow yesterday in St. Vincent.

Marizio (sorry spelling) is on this ship. tonight saw commedian and also a juggler, both were good.

Tonight was French night, great french onion soup, and veal scallopini but the raspberry brule was sadly a disappointment. We love creme brule but for some reason every single one we have had on board doesn't have the sugar crusted.

Tried to get thru to room service today but gave up after five mintues both times.

Silvermoon is the best, they even sent me an email to follow up and thank us again.

Today we climbed the volcano in St. Kitts we booked the tour thru Thedoford Grey. Other people on the roll call used him for the island tour,. which we did last year and highly recommend and got great feed back again this year.

We were crazy enough to think a volcano heck we can do it, and we did. There were three in our group it is about a half hour drive away and took about 2 hours to get up to the top and half hour up there and then 1.5 hours to get down. You do need to be physically fit and wear appropriate shoes.

Last night we did Sabatinis with the CC group.... everything was very good - service was phenomenal, order the lobster and unfortunately all of us who did order it found it overcooked and rubbery, they quickly gave us something different.

Well I am off to soak in the tub, oh my sore muscles! Tomorrow is St.Thomas and YES we are docking at Crown Bay.

Today we docked right beside the Emerald and when we sailed away the captains of both ships had some fun with their competing horns.

Vickie, Did you have a raspberry creme brulee for me too? Perhaps you got the one I ordered for my room?;)

Yes, this was in the Princess Patter, so to all of those (such as myself) who based our port on the VI website, this shows that the port assignments aren't really predictable. The Patter had us 'tendering' in St. Kitts, which clearly wasn't the case... we docked.

It funny you should write about this... the 'dueling' ships horns was definately the funniest thing to experience. Now, here's an interesting photo, taken from our balcony, of the Emerald Princess as she docked. Note, the 'stack' superstructure of the Grand, reflectring directly beneath the stack superstructure of the Emerald. This is just one of those in the right place at the right time photos, I thought I'd share.

CIMG0291.jpg.af71d4999c214b870a1d5443abb990ba.jpg

Vickie, Did you have a raspberry creme brulee for me too? Perhaps you got the one I ordered for my room?;)

of course I did and we talked about you and our experience last Nov with them.... :) but I didn't even finish it because it just was not as good... miss that crunchy sugary top

Wow Pete great shot yesterday, we saw you both on your balcony at taht time... it was fun, I was hoping for a repeat competition today in St. Thomas but low and behold we are docked at Crown and The Emerald is at Havensight, -- go figure.

So Bill and Cathy if you see this, we are taking the 1030 ferry to Water Island, hope you can meet up with us.

Ordered room service this morning and was so happy to see it came right on time. They are so good... still don't know why the milk is always warm (as it is on every ship we've sailed). Also the mixed melon was old and slimmy and unedible... guess they missed checking it prior.

Tonight is the crew show and "If I were Not upon the sea show" they are also showing Swing Vote on Muts and of course there are tons of other things to see too. That is all that I could remember.

Today they are offerring the bag of laundry special again for $20

I should also note that something that is new in St. Thomas is the Pirates boat that works like a shuttle. You have to purchase the ticket at the excursion desk it is $10 per person and they boat docks at three spots, Crown Bay, Marina and Havensight and you can ride all day for that price - I believe they give you a bracelet for proof of payment. They said it takes about 15 minutes to go to town. This is pretty good deal as the open air bus cost $4 from Crown to Town - and it is very crowded in town, going by boat you omit all that. Also you can go over to Havensight quite easily. They said on the morning show taht this is a new service for only a few months.

Cheers for now.

We love creme brule but for some reason every single one we have had on board doesn't have the sugar crusted.

Vickie,

My favorite dessert and the best part is the sugar crusted top. I would have been disappointed too.

Your Lives are always so enjoyable to follow along. Thanks! Keep up the good work and continue to enjoy your cruise.

of course I did and we talked about you and our experience last Nov with them.... :) but I didn't even finish it because it just was not as good... miss that crunchy sugary top

Mine HAD the sugary crunchy top.

See you later:D

Hi Vickie -

I am so jealous to be reading your posts. I'm glad that Silver Moon was fun - did you see any poor souls waiting on that traffic circle for their guide to pick them up like we did last year? Did Barbados still smell like Pumpkin Pie when you got off?

Congrats on making it up the volcano! Our Sea of Cortez adventure beings next Tuesday and I can't wait because it is really COLD here (well, colder than it should be for the Pacific Northwest)!

Andrea

Did Barbados still smell like Pumpkin Pie when you got off?

Andrea

Didn't notice the 'pumpkin pie' smell... just clean sunwashed air.

First experience with 'liquid sunshine'... a fine mist that fell from perfectly clear skies.

Barbados, when viewed from the beach, is like living within a 'screen saver'... the views that perfect.

HI Vickie!

Met you last year on the Emerald, and we are on the Emerald right now and having a wonderful time too. Ater following the Grand around in ports for three days we are now headed back to Princess Cays.

Not sure why in St. Thomas that we were in Havensight and you were in Crown Bay. Also did the new Pirate Water Taxi and were very pleased-much more pleasant than a cab and traffic is always snarled up. Would highly recommend it as well!

Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Carole

La Romana today and it is another beautiful day - we have been encountering light showers in most ports but it is very light and refreshing and then it only gets hotter.

Hi Andrea - no we bypassed that circle and didn't even pay attention. We loved Silvermoon. We will not use that tour agent that we used last year ever again. Enjoy your cruise, you will love Loretto.

Hi Carole I remember you and your family from last year... we tried to find our old Emerald friends in the last three duplicate ports but no such luck, we did meet up with Bill and Cathy again yesterday.

St. Thomas - yesterday we met up with our friends and then walked over to the marina where we caught the water taxi to take us over to Water Island which is very close to Crown Bay. Cost was $5 per person one way. It is a very short trip, maybe 5 minutes. Then you have to walk up a steep hill and then down the other side to get to Honeymoon Bay beach - but well worth it. You should be aware that if you have any troubles walking this is not the excursion to do.

the beach is beautiful and not very big but not crowded either. There are washrooms there, and a woman by the name of Heidi comes in and sets up food and drinks. And we both had a burger and it was huge!!! We did purchase some cold beer and water right at the marina in a food store there while we waited to get onto the water taxi. But Heidi sold some too.

The people who live on the island are so nice and helpful. In fact someone in our party has Ashma and had difficulties climbing the hill and someone actually drove her back to the dock to catch the ferry. many people on the island use golf carts to get around.

We caught the 1030 ferry over - it was full but they quickly brought another boat to accommodate the rest of us. We caught the 300 ferrry back which is an extra one they have running right now. You can check out the schedule if you go to Virgin Island's website.

We had a gathering of our Cruise Critic group at sailaway for a drink and some laughs.

Then dinner was in the Dining room and very very good. I had the Chateaubriand and it was like Butter! Bernie loved his Vanilla souffle!

Then we went to the 50 - 60 music trivia which I might add we suck at but it was fun.

I need to state that Stu our deputy cruise director is leaving the ship after this sailing and he will be missed, and NO he is not retiring he is only going on vacation.

Someone asked about the shows here you go

Cinematastic, Shake Rattle and Row, Motor city, and Do you wanna Dance.

Commedian Don Ware, David Aiken, Jim McDonald - Ventriloquist Willie Tyler, singer Johnny Thunder, Comedian Gary Delena.

Well off to get my latte and then off to Altos de Chavron and to check it out.

Cheers.

Archived