Christmas on the Millennium-A REALLY long trip report

MLAW

What a great Christmas you enjoyed! We have taken a few family cruises during Christmas. This year we did the 8-day Mexican Riviera cruise with our daughters and their families. We all had a great time and wish we could make it an annual event. Looks like the economy has put a halt to planning ahead for now!

Thanks so much for your review and particularly for posting here on the Australia/New Zealand board. I might not have seen it if it had been only on the Celebrity board, and since we will be cruising to Sydney next fall on Star Princess, we are so anxious to read all reviews of this part of the world - and the longer and more detailed the better!! I'll keep watching for all your answers to posted questions and may have a few to ask myself! Again, our appreciation for all the detail you have taken the time to relay.

What a wonderful report. We are leaving on the Millenium's February 15th cruise - Auckland to Sydney with both a pre and post cruise package. My mistake was booking these packages through Celebrity - found out after it was two late we are paying per person for the rooms which actually are booked one price for the room ( thus, we are paying double!). The hotel reps were really surprised by this. As we are arriving at 6:10 a.m. we are hoping to get into our rooms early - not the 3:00 p.m. check-in. I am booking several tours with Mount Classic Tours ( we are three couples) for several of our stops and booked only one with the ship - the Trans Alpine Tour in Christchurch.

Did you visit any of the Lord of the Rings sights?

Please reply to folala@aol.com - thanks again for your comments.

I just returned from the Millennium cruise last week and being from the east coast I can address the jet lag. My advice, stay awake until you leave CA. If you're not a good sleeper, get a few sleeping pills from your doctor. I ate dinner, took a pill, zonked out and slept right through until breakfast. Then we landed. It was easy and I was totally rested. I did the same coming back and had no problem. I did come down with a cold the day after I returned. :-( The entire cruise was like a dream. Every bit of it was wonderful. We had no problems changing planes in either SFO or LAX although collecting luggage on the way home and going through security again was a pain. I suppose I should write up a review one of these days. If anyone has any particular questions I can try to answer them.

Patty

MLAW, we were on the ship that tagged teamed with you throuhgout NZ and Australia- the HAL Volendam. I am glad you had a great trip )as did we). I was curious about your experiences since you had a very similar itinerary.

A couple of notes. We did Christmas Day at sea. It was the way to go. We also had New Years Eve in Sydney Harbor. Also a highlight. Its ironic, we had great weather for all day except Picton which was Christmas Eve.

I reiterate your thoughts on LAX. We are from the midwest. Our United flight was late arriving in LAX from Chicago. We had only 25 minutes to make our connection. (We were schdeuled to have 2 1/2 hours). We ran to make our Air New Zealand Flight since it was in a different termeinal and we had to take a shuttle to get there. I was on the phone calling ANZ and they held the flight. The gate attendants walked us to the head of the line at security. We made the flight but needless to say our luggage did not. We got 5 of the 6 pieces of luggage before the ship left, but we did not get the final piece for a week. Even though we had booked our own airfare (and arrived the morning the ship left) HAL was good about helping us. They gave us free laundry for the week we were misssing our piece.

About jetlag, whcih seems to impact me more than my DH or 16 year old daughter, I took Melatonin, an herbal tablet that helps adjust your cicadia rythms. I had no problems arriving in NZ, but had more trouble when I returned to Chicago. I find travel west to east more difficult than east to west. We were on ANZ premium economy, whcih was fabulous. Not as expensive as first class, but much more room, better food and wonderful service and entertainment than coach.

A point about the exchange rate. When we booked this cruise 18 months ago, the AUS dollar was on par with the US dollar. Now the rate is very favorable to US $. We made out like bandits on all the private tours we booked. We had budgeted a certain amount and ended up spending much less due to the exhchange rate.

Hi Laurence

I'm on the same cruise with my husband & daughter.

Leave Manchester 12th, & our daughter is flying in from Sydney to join us on the cruise, one night in Auckland on 14th at Langham hotel. soooo excited! Booked Tauranga trip with Mctours, so much cheaper than ship price.

Regards

Paulineicon7.gif

Thanks for your helpful review.... :)

My wife and I are excited just reading your experiences as we fly from Heathrow, London on the 11th Feb. We embark on Millennium - 15th Feb (Auckland to Sydney) and like you are staying at the Hilton Auckland.

It looks a really nice hotel on the web - does it live up to its reputation? We’ve upgraded/booked a balcony hotel room and hope to see the ship arrive next to the hotel. Whats the breakfast like at the hotel? Is it advisable to book the buffet service in advance for the sky tower? Did you manage to spot any good sports clothing shops in Auckland? Soryy I enjoy buying footwear!!!

We have cruised before on RCL Radiance of the Seas last year, the ship was well maintained and built in 2001. we really enjoyed our holiday experience. Is Millennium a great ship too? and would be grateful for you to pass on any tips, recommendations and do/don’ts to enhance the ship experience - cheers

Thanks

Laurence from England

:)

Hi Laurence

I'm on the same cruise with my husband & daughter.

Leave Manchester 12th, & our daughter is flying in from Sydney to join us on the cruise, one night in Auckland on 14th at Langham hotel. soooo excited! Booked Tauranga trip with Mctours, so much cheaper than ship price.

Regards

Paulineicon7.gif

Pauline

Nice to know that we are not the only british people sailing on the millenium. We fly with BA - Heathrow to Sydney via Bankok then changing planes at sydney (quantas) for a 3 hour flight to Auckland. how about you??

This looks a brillant trip - have you done anything like this before in Oz/newzeland?

Emsmom: We arrived in Auckland at 5 am and HAL picked us up at the airport. They brought us to a hotel downtown where we could freshen up and have some light refreshments. At 9 am we boarded a bus for a tour of Auckland. It was a great tour-very extensive but long after traveling for 24 hours. But it was necessary as we could not board the ship so early. All of this was included in our transfers whcih at $66 for both ways was a bargain.

After a sea day, we were in Tauranga. We rented a car and drove in to Rotorua. We did the luge and gondola rides and saw some of the hot srpings and geysers. We toured the buried village which was very interesting. We toyed with the idea of the Kiwi 360 or the sheep farm, but we decided against it.

By the way, there were 5 of us-two middle aged adults, two seniors and a 16 year old.

In Napier, we just walked around and shopped some. There is a lovely pool/spa resort less than a mile from the dock. Though there is a perfectly good pool on the ship, my daughter spent the day in this pool.

In Wellington, we rented a car again since my mother and husband wanted to go disc golfing in Upper Hutt. My father and I did a self tour of some wineries in Martinborough. We all then returned to downtown Wellington and did a self city tour-cable car, botanical gradens, parliament buildings and cathedral.

Picton was Christmas eve. We had a private tour and it was the only one we did not like. It was the only day it rained for us. The guide did not feel we could see any scenery with the mist so she took us to some wineries-at least a dozen. Way too many for me and way way too many for a 16 year old. The tour was supposed to be a private one but she added another couple. They are the ones that wanted to do all the wineries. We paid the agreed amount even though the tour was not what we agreed to and not private. I would not recommend them, They are Marlborough sounds tours.

Christmas Day was at sea. I

the following day we were in Christchurch and we had a great guide. We saw so much of the town and the surronding environs. He was with the inside story-Terry Thomsen. He was fabulous and reasonably priced.

In Dunedin, we had made arrangements with Arthur's tours. He was also wonderful. We went to Larnach castle, cadbury chocolates, Olveston and the train station as well as all the other sights and sounds of Dunedin. Great tour.

In Sydney, we did the bridge climb (booked on our own. It was significantly cheaper than the ships tour due to the strong US $ and the fact that the bridge climb charged child's rates for my daughter, but the ship was going to charge adult rates since she was over 12).

We did a tour of the opera house whcih was very interesting. Well worth it. We walked through the rocks but there was no tour available on new years eve or new years day.

We had booked a Blue Mountain tour with Oz trek but they begged off before we left the states as it was New year's eve and they were afraid with traffic that we could not get back to the pier. My parents stayed in Sydney after the cruise and used them and said it was fabulous.

We did the Great ocean road with a private driver-again wonderful. With only a single day in Melbourne, we could not make it all the way to the 12 apostles, but what we did see was fabulous. It was with tours to go.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and everyone's information and excellent advice. We will be on the Millenium Mar 1 Syd-Auck with 2 days in LA, 3 in Syd precruise and 1 extra in Auck post cruise and overnight at LAX on the way back. Can't wait. Smooth sailing to all.

Pauline

Nice to know that we are not the only british people sailing on the millenium. We fly with BA - Heathrow to Sydney via Bankok then changing planes at sydney (quantas) for a 3 hour flight to Auckland. how about you??

This looks a brillant trip - have you done anything like this before in Oz/newzeland?

I am originally from the UK too, born in Surrey, although I now live in Vancouver. Will be on the Feb 15th sailing too.

There is a small roll call for this sailing. Have you signed up for the Connections party?

So much information on this thread, Thank you.

Mary

Pauline

Laurence

We fly Manchester-Heathrow-Los Angeles Auckland.

We have been to Aus twice already as my husbands family live in Queensland. We have cruised previously with Royal Caribbean to Alaska & sailed the caribbean with Star Cilpper, both fantastic.

Not long to go now!!

I am originally from the UK too, born in Surrey, although I now live in Vancouver. Will be on the Feb 15th sailing too.

There is a small roll call for this sailing. Have you signed up for the Connections party?

So much information on this thread, Thank you.

Mary

Hi Mary

Not signed up for the connections party, have you done one before? Are they a good idea?!!

Pauline

Hi Mary

Not signed up for the connections party, have you done one before? Are they a good idea?!!

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

I find it is a way to get together with people who have chatted on line and to see a familiar face during the cruise.

Anyway looking forward to seeing you next week.

Hope the weather in U.K. warms up. Also that the forest fires in Australia settle down, this is tragic.

Mary

Hi Pauline,

I find it is a way to get together with people who have chatted on line and to see a familiar face during the cruise.

Anyway looking forward to seeing you next week.

Hope the weather in U.K. warms up. Also that the forest fires in Australia settle down, this is tragic.

Mary

Hi Mary

The fires are terrible. Our daughter is in Sydney at the moment, she lives just across from the Opera House & said she couldn't see it the other day for smoke, but she is fine & joining us in Auckland for the cruise.

We have to fly to Manchester,Heathrow, LA, Auckland & the snow affected flights at Heathrow last week, fingers crossed for Thursday!!!Cant wait now, 3 more UK sleeps!!!

Regards

Pauline

icon7.gif

I hope I am not to late to ask you questions? We are sailing March 15th Auckland to Sydney. I have heard so many discouraging things about Millie.We like you are not picky people.It would take a lot for us not to have a good time on any cruise. We are in cabin 8176CC and from the pictures I have been able to find it looks lovely and sounds even more so. Food? I hear so many complaints,where would you suggest eating,Breakfast,Lunch,the buffet or dinning room on sea days. We have booked all outside tours as I have learned early on that the cruise ship's charge an arm and a leg. When we cruise there are usually 13 to 18 of us but this time only 3,Dad (in wheelchair) myself and sister. Any inside info that would be useful please please in-part your wisdom.LOL We are flying direct from LAX so that should not be a problem.Although the trip sounds LONG. Thank you for taking the time to help fellow travelers.

Pam:)

pamlh1 at (hotmail) com

Pam, I think you will have a fabulous time on the cruise. New Zealand and Australia are beautiful countries with some of the friendliest people we have met. We also enjoyed everything about the ship and, as I said in my review, we really enjoyed the food. On previous cruises we have really enjoyed some breakfasts in the main diningroom. This cruise we only at there once for a regular breakfast and once for the brunch. I highly recommend the brunch in the dining room. It was offered two days but we missed the first day which I now regret. We enjoyed the breakfasts so much in the buffet that we only did the one regular breakfast in the dining room. We decided that for the first time in 11 cruises we preferred the breakfast buffet. My husband loved the made to order eggs, there were many selections for the kids, and I loved the option of the fresh waffles. We only ate lunch in the buffet or the hamburger grill. We really enjoyed the pasta bar, my girls loved the pizza (I did not), and the sandwich bar was also great (try a made to order panini). Again the selection was tremendous so we never ventured to the dining room. There were only a couple nights we did not eat in the main dining room. Once we ordered room service which was fine and a couple times we had burgers or pasta from the buffet. We never tried the casual sit down option because if we were going to do sit down we preferred the main dining. We also did not try the specialty restaurant because the menu did not appeal to us enough to spend the extra money.

It regards to the flight from LAX, it did not bother us at all. Very shortly after take off we were able to watch a movie. Dinner was served during that time. By the time we finished dinner and a movie we were all ready to sleep. All four of us slept (although restlessly) for over 7 hours. We woke up for breakfast and another movie and then we landed. My girls honestly wanted to stay on the plane and watch more movies. We would have no hesitation to do this trip again. In fact, we are already doing our "someday" dreaming of returning to Australia to see more of that beautiful country.

I hope you have as great a trip as we had and look forward to your review when you return!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marjorie,

What a wonderful review, I have really enjoyed reading it. We are on the Rhaspody next Jan doing New Zealand, our daughter will be 10 when we travel. We are stopping at Napier and I am most definately going to look at marineland, it sounds just what my daughter would love, we were thinking of hiring bikes and going to a couple of vineyards.

Ive got so much information from these boards, its priceless!!

Any other child friendly tips would be appreciated

Glad you had such a good time, hope we do too!!

Thanks

Jo:)

Archived