Downtown Cabo San Lucas

outandabout

I haven't been able to read every single thread, but did have a dining idea if you like eating out My husband and I honeymooned in Cabo, and while we didn't cruise, we could see exactly where the cruiseships anchored and where the tenders docked. Cabo Wabo will be boring while you are in port, but it is right in downtown if you want to get a t-shirt or something. There is a Restaurant called "The Office" right on the beach (beside billigans) and it is WONDERFUL! Rather pricey when we went for dinner, but not sure about lunch. I highly recommend it! Bring a sweater or coverup with you because while it's warm in the sun, it's very windy and can get pretty chilly. Also- take the water taxi over to Lover's Beach if you are in pretty good shape (you have to jump out of the taxi into approximately knee-deep water-so hold your bag/camera over your head) and walk in. The back side of the island has waves that you will definitely want a video of!

I haven't been able to read every single thread, but did have a dining idea if you like eating out My husband and I honeymooned in Cabo, and while we didn't cruise, we could see exactly where the cruiseships anchored and where the tenders docked. Cabo Wabo will be boring while you are in port, but it is right in downtown if you want to get a t-shirt or something. There is a Restaurant called "The Office" right on the beach (beside billigans) and it is WONDERFUL! Rather pricey when we went for dinner, but not sure about lunch. I highly recommend it! Bring a sweater or coverup with you because while it's warm in the sun, it's very windy and can get pretty chilly. Also- take the water taxi over to Lover's Beach if you are in pretty good shape (you have to jump out of the taxi into approximately knee-deep water-so hold your bag/camera over your head) and walk in. The back side of the island has waves that you will definitely want a video of!

My guess is that your visit to "The Office" was a couple of years ago. Back then, it also used to be a favorite of ours as well. We are Cabo timeshare owners and spend a week there every year. "The Office" is no longer a place we visit. They became a victim of their own success. Poor service, average to below average food and HIGH PRICES are now the norm. Better choices on the beach would now include Baja Cantina as well as Tobascos.

I was disapointed in Cabo Wabo. They did not have a great selection of shirts. There are all kinds of little shops to see, which I loved. We took a street just to the west of there and came to a nice little coffee shop/internet cafe. There was a little plaza across the street that had a great whale skeleton. Possibly on Larzo Cardenas street.

That might depend on when you are there - we were there April 2008 and both the bar and restaurant were packed at 11AM on a weekday. We're hoping that'll be the case this April as well. We didn't eat there (too long of a line for food) but the bar was rocking with live music and we had a blast!

During the day only the small bar and the smaller dining area are open. You should see it at night when the huge, main part is open, it is crazy. It's nice that they do have that small stage with live music during the day though. Try the Waboritas if you like martinis, they are yummy!

My guess is that your visit to "The Office" was a couple of years ago. Back then, it also used to be a favorite of ours as well. We are Cabo timeshare owners and spend a week there every year. "The Office" is no longer a place we visit. They became a victim of their own success. Poor service, average to below average food and HIGH PRICES are now the norm. Better choices on the beach would now include Baja Cantina as well as Tobascos.

I agree, the Office used to be so great! We never go there anymore- we also love Baja Cantina, Tabascos and the Grill at Cascadas is fabulous- located right before Tabascos. They have the most amazing almond/coconut shrimp and they also have table right in the sand.

All these ideas are great! We are on Mariner 3/29, please let us know how the 2/22 cruise

goes:) We are planning on going down to one of the places on Medano and then stopping

by Cabo Wabo to check it out.

Where is the Marina located in relation to where the tenders drop you off? I am thinking of booking an excursion with Johann and Sandra and it looks like most of their tours meet at the Marina in Cabo. Will we be able to walk to there, and if so how long will it take?

Your pics were great. Please tell us how far, walking distance, it is to Medano Beach? Also how far of a walk is it to the hotel Finesterra? What does 'reservacion officino'refer to?

outandabout

ok, here we go, the hotel finesterra is one of the original hotels in cabo. Remember to tell the gate guard that you are going to the "reservacion officina". The harbor view is best seen from the carport. You would never know of it's outrageous pool view. When you get up there, stroll across the walking bridge to the ocean side, and you will see the amazing pool view. You can walk up there, or take a cab. Cabs in Cabo are a little different than most of mexico. They are nice large vans that are expensive, but very comfortable. I would walk. As you can see by the google earth pics below, lattitude 22 is hidden (closed on Tuesdays), but a caby will know where it is. The ultra rich gringo fishermen that made Cabo, like the privacy of their historical fisherman's cantina, and leave the tourists to downtown. The 1,000's of big game pictures on the walls are amazing. Have Fun. We love it and will be there in late Feb on the Mariner, and mid May on the Splendor.

cabo.jpg

finesterrapool.jpg

raodhouse-1.jpg

roadhouse2.jpg

and if you really want to poke around for a view pic, head up the hard to find dirt road to the mountain top radio antennas. Looks like a cruise ship drag race is ready to start.

IMG_1149-1.jpg

and there are many area resorts that are world class

IMG_1410.jpg

Oh lots of ideas. We won't go to Cabo Wabo anymore but it nice to go and see if you haven't seen it. We love Sammy.

Has anyone been to the Mango Deck recently? We were there a few years ago and thought it was cool. Just wondering if it's changed, like The Office.

Also is Baja Cantina & Tobascos along the same beach?

Bob, those pics are so great and your wife is adorable. How hard is it to get up to that Hotel Finesterra?

We're meeting friends in Cabo the same day as us, they are on Carnival, we'll be on Princess so I'm looking for a place where we could hang out and have a beverage or five. I like the little places along the boardwalk as well that you can sit and not get pestered by the locals. This will be their first time in Cabo, so I would imagine they'll wanna do an excursion as well.

Cheers!

Oh lots of ideas. We won't go to Cabo Wabo anymore but it nice to go and see if you haven't seen it. We love Sammy.

Has anyone been to the Mango Deck recently? We were there a few years ago and thought it was cool. Just wondering if it's changed, like The Office.

Bob, those pics are so great and your wife is adorable. How hard is it to get up to that Hotel Finesterra?

We're meeting friends in Cabo the same day as us, they are on Carnival, we'll be on Princess so I'm looking for a place where we could hang out and have a beverage or five. I like the little places along the boardwalk as well that you can sit and not get pestered by the locals. This will be their first time in Cabo, so I would imagine they'll wanna do an excursion as well.

Cheers!

Bobnsofi...

I, too, would like to know how to get to Hotel Finesterra. Will be leaving on Saturday, 1/31. So any tip is very much appreciated!

Cheers!

If you look at the satellite maps posted earlier in this thread it will show where the Hotel Finisterra is. Don't walk all the way around the Marina. At the second right hand turn (right next to the Dolphin Encounter) you can take a short cut out to the main drag. At that point you will be close to the Finisterra. It is part of a grouping of resorts including Sol Mar, Playa Grande and a couple of others. They are all located on Sol Mar Beach.

If interested, a little further past the Dolphin Encounter on the Marina walk is Solomans Landing. It is a great place for a cool drink, food, munchies, and people watching. As a matter of fact, it would probably be a good place to meet up with your friends. It's just past the Dolphin Encounter.

Mango Deck is still the same wild place it always used to be. Same with Billigans Island next door. Baja Cantina (quieter) is close by. Tobascos is FURTHER down the beach. Bit of a hike, but not bad. Standing on Medano Beach looking at the water, it will be to your left.

Where is the Marina located in relation to where the tenders drop you off? I am thinking of booking an excursion with Johann and Sandra and it looks like most of their tours meet at the Marina in Cabo. Will we be able to walk to there, and if so how long will it take?

The tender pier is at the marina and from there it is only about a 10 minute walk to the center of town.

Your pics were great. Please tell us how far, walking distance, it is to Medano Beach? Also how far of a walk is it to the hotel Finesterra? What does 'reservacion officino'refer to?

Probably about 30-45 minutes depending on how fast you walk. Much easier to take a water taxi ($3/pp) or a regular taxi ($10 total). Each of those options would take about 10 minutes. The Finesterra is about 5-10 minutes away on foot but up a pretty steep hill. Just a heads up, as a rule the Finesterra does not allow non guests to use their facilities. Do people sometimes get in anyway? Yes. Just don't want anyone to be disappointed if the day they try to go there, they are stopped by security. It is a timeshare resort and owners hate it when they come down to the pool and the chairs they have helped pay for are being used by others. That said, when it's quiet the resorts often are very happy to have people come spend money at the restaurants and bars including the pool bar.

That would mean reservations office- where did you see it?

Probably about 30-45 minutes depending on how fast you walk. Much easier to take a water taxi ($3/pp) or a regular taxi ($10 total). Each of those options would take about 10 minutes. The Finesterra is about 5-10 minutes away on foot but up a pretty steep hill. Just a heads up, as a rule the Finesterra does not allow non guests to use their facilities. Do people sometimes get in anyway? Yes. Just don't want anyone to be disappointed if the day they try to go there, they are stopped by security. It is a timeshare resort and owners hate it when they come down to the pool and the chairs they have helped pay for are being used by others. That said, when it's quiet the resorts often are very happy to have people come spend money at the restaurants and bars including the pool bar.

That would mean reservations office- where did you see it?

Househunter - could I take a cab to Hotel Finesterra? I'm a good walker but my friend will have a hard time on a steep hill. Your thoughts??? I've also seen a posting about mentioning "reservations office" to the security guard. I hope he'll let us in. I'm mostly interested in the view and photo op not to use the pool. Thanks for the useful info.

It would be a 1 minute cab ride but I'm sure you could do it! When you get off the tender boat and onto the main walkway, you will see a large mall, the Mercado. Right next to the Mercado is a small street that will take you out to the road- the driveway to the Finesterra is right there. The cabs will be lined up on that small street next to the Mercado.

We own at the resort next door, the Playa Grande and have walked over to the Finesterra many times for drinks at the Whale Watching Bar. If you are not planning on using the pools, you will be welcome to roam around and take pictures. It is gorgeous there!

I am so bummed out hearing about The Office! My first time there was back in 1996 then again in 2006. First time we stayed right up the hill at the Bahia Condos from The Office and hung out there a couple of times during our 4 days. Last time was during our first cruise down there. It was really, really good both times. So what has happened to it? I had heard that it changed owners and got very expensive but then someone else said that the same people owned it and it was just the same as it has been. Which is it???

Carol - I can tell you how to get to Cabo Wabo darling! ;)

I am so bummed out hearing about The Office! My first time there was back in 1996 then again in 2006. First time we stayed right up the hill at the Bahia Condos from The Office and hung out there a couple of times during our 4 days. Last time was during our first cruise down there. It was really, really good both times. So what has happened to it? I had heard that it changed owners and got very expensive but then someone else said that the same people owned it and it was just the same as it has been. Which is it???

Carol - I can tell you how to get to Cabo Wabo darling! ;)

I bet we passed it last NOv and I didn't even notice!

and Char knew the way too -- ha! ha! ok- how?

your version -- gracias !! Carol

It would be a 1 minute cab ride but I'm sure you could do it! When you get off the tender boat and onto the main walkway, you will see a large mall, the Mercado. Right next to the Mercado is a small street that will take you out to the road- the driveway to the Finesterra is right there. The cabs will be lined up on that small street next to the Mercado.

We own at the resort next door, the Playa Grande and have walked over to the Finesterra many times for drinks at the Whale Watching Bar. If you are not planning on using the pools, you will be welcome to roam around and take pictures. It is gorgeous there!

Househunter -It seems quite easy to get there. I will be clicking my camera away! Adios! Gracias!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived