Cruising is addicted...but.. what if...?

Trnkk

Many people say cruising is addicted and I agree, last Feb we (6 of us) cruised for the first time to Cozumel for 4 nights we all had a blast despite a terrible Carnival excursion.

My sister-in-law and her husband suggested another cruise this Feb soon after the first cruise, they are the most frugal between us, for them to suggest it surprised a h… out of us because we had a hard time to persuade them to go on the first cruise to start with. Needless to say the rest of us jump in with no hesitation and have been saving ever since.

I’ve been wondering what’s so addicted about cruising, from what I have read on CC forums people were mentioning a lot about drinking, even treads about smuggling alcohol on board…etc. We are not drinkers and I do not drink at all but we still are hooked so alcohol is not the reason, there is a magic about cruising which I don’t know what it is but I intend to find out on this cruise, Feb 21’ 09. For all you guys what if no alcohol is the rule would you still have a good time? So what really makes you addicted? Your though…?

No alcohol would be fine and I would still very much enjoy my cruise; though I do enjoy some beverages before/during/after dinner.;)

For me, it is getting away. Plain and simple. We tend to travel with our kids and CCL gives us the perfect balance - the kids get to do their thing, DH and I get time alone, and we join up for most meals. Also, it is magical just being out on the water - the sun, the stars, the sounds, the smells, the clean air. Third, with a cruise, you wake up in a different paradise each day that is ripe for exploring. All in all, you just feel pampered, regenerated and refreshed.

I would still cruise without alcohol, and enjoy it. But, we do love our drinks - especially since we aren't big drinkers when not on a cruise. I love the concept of Caribbean cruiseing - waking up in a different country almost every day and having the opportunity to scuba dive in every one of the places if we want to (and usually do).

I have to agree with A&J Family, and I would add that it's the kind of vacation where you don't have to work at anything (unless you want to). We also travel as a family (DDs are almost 15 and 13). For other kinds of vacations, we're either driving from place to place, searching guide books for restaurants, hotels, or scoping out the next place to buy gas. Even at Disney, we have to plan where we're going to eat, what park we're going to visit, and what attractions to see while we're there.

On a cruise, we avoid almost all decision making and planning. As adults we can pretty much put our brains in neutral and really relax for the whole vacation. And we don't really drink much, either - on the last cruise, DH had one drink, and I had three.

We are getting ready to go on our 3rd cruise in March. I totally agree with A&JFamily and Rochmom. These are the reasons you get addicted! Where else can you get all you get for the price and get to wake up somewhere new every morning?!?! Our parents gave us a cruise for Christmas in 2007...and we got hooked BIG TIME!!! I could even do a cruise that was nothing but sea days too!! Just simply love being on the ship!

I would have no problem on a cruise without alcohol. Hubby doesn't drink at all and I do enjoy a froo froo drink on occasion, but would still have a blast without.

For me, it's the sea that makes cruising more addictive than other vacations. The sea is just mesmerizing, the stars at night, the ocean scent, the gentle rolling of the ship. The beautiful blue water, flying fish, etc, etc.

When I cruise I may have one drink all cruise. At home I never drink alcohol at all. Cruising is about getting away from all the stress and hassle of everyday life. Getting up, doing whatever, seeing new sites and places all over. I just truly, RELAX:D:D. So the drinks are never a factor, although I really want a monkeyhead on my next cruise, so I guess that will be my one drink that trip.:rolleyes:

with us, its the getting away. I have a major rule:

As soon as luggage is loaded in the car, work is not to be spoken until luggage is loaded into the car to return home.

DH works a very stressful job and he truely relaxes on a cruise, more than any other vacation. And I get to relax, because I don't have to pick restaurants for every night, entertainment, etc.

While DH makes most decisions for in our life everyday, when we travel, I make the decisions!

FWIW, we don't drink a huge amount. I will have wine at dinner and maybe a foo foo drink sometime during the day. He will do the same, so alcohol isn't a major portion of our experience.

Believe it or not , I use rum-runners each cruise , I have not once even drank anything out of them . just do sodas , water or juices . I have a blast myself , plenty of stuff to do without getting stupid drunk in my opinion.

Many people say cruising is addicted and I agree, last Feb we (6 of us) cruised for the first time to Cozumel for 4 nights we all had a blast despite a terrible Carnival excursion.

My sister-in-law and her husband suggested another cruise this Feb soon after the first cruise, they are the most frugal between us, for them to suggest it surprised a h… out of us because we had a hard time to persuade them to go on the first cruise to start with. Needless to say the rest of us jump in with no hesitation and have been saving ever since.

I’ve been wondering what’s so addicted about cruising, from what I have read on CC forums people were mentioning a lot about drinking, even treads about smuggling alcohol on board…etc. We are not drinkers and I do not drink at all but we still are hooked so alcohol is not the reason, there is a magic about cruising which I don’t know what it is but I intend to find out on this cruise, Feb 21’ 09. For all you guys what if no alcohol is the rule would you still have a good time? So what really makes you addicted? Your though…?

It is the "Siren of the Sea!" She is equally attractive to both men and ladies.

RCL will probably be using that name soon.:D

Dan

If I never had another drink in my life I would be just as happy!

Why I like to cruise:

1. I live 2 miles from the dock.....no flying!

2. A cruise is a floating "all inclusive"....hotel, entertainment etc.

3. We're casual...I leave the dresses and make-up at home (I couldn't care less about formal night, semi-formal night etc.)

4. DH & I are buffet people...we like to pick our food and portion size

5. I was born at the beach....I love the smell of the ocean...the ocean is the foundation of life

6. I love the soft rocking of the ship at night

7. Visit new ports

I went on my first cruise ever this past November. The moment I got back, I was on the 'puter searching for another cruise to go on! I do like to indulge in a few drinks, but I think what was the most addictive thing to me was the fact that there was something to do every minute, AND the food all being included in the price. You don't have to stop and think "can I afford to go see a show tonight?" or "maybe I should just eat a burger and save up for a nice dinner." All that is removed and you have the freedom to enjoy it all without having to agonize over each thing you do, since it is all included.

For me it is beening away from the hospital and seening some of the things I do. I do not need the drinks but do have acouple. Having someone make you bed, cooking for you and us to be away from it all. Sleeping on the ship is like haveing you mom rock you to sleep.

I almost did not go on a crusie 9 years ago because I was afraid of getting sea sick, it has not happen yet and thanks to my dear mom I went and was hooked.

Waking up in a different place everyday ...and not having to Drive there ...having great food...good entertainment....etc.......plenty of great reasons to get addicted to it.....

Add to that the only decision you REALLY have to make is what to eat...and where to eat it :eek: ;). They make my bed...prepare my food and I get to enjoy it in some of the most beautiful place in the world!!

Yep....I'm addicted :D

I would love to be able to drink and mingle with those who drink but I just do not enjoy the taste of it and soon my face would turn real red and feel very sleepy I would have to go to bed thus ending the fun! I would love to join the roll call but then I would feel out of place because I do not drink, but just like most of you said there's a lot other things that form the magic of cruising and I agree with you all.

Magic of Cruising to me is:

1. I love to watch the ocean. My favorite spot on the ship is the back watching the wake.

2. No cooking or cleaning for 4,5, or 7 days. Just heaven.

3. No big decisions about where to eat. Just show up.

4. Lots of activities to choose from.

5. Lots of beautiful places to visit.

6. Relaxation.

7. Drink as much as I want and don't have to drive home.

Looks like your group is going to make this an annual thing. How about joining my CC group cruise in January 2010? http://www.shipaddict.info for pricing. Would love for you to join me!

Going on a cruise was never a big travel goal for me, I suppose because in the past I experienced sea sickness a few times on boats. Several years ago we were asked to join another couple on a cruise to nowhere just to see what a cruise is like. We've been addicted to cruising ever since!! For me, the cruise experience is completely freeing. When I'm on a cruise I feel like I am the closest to being the real me, I'm free to do whatever I want, whenever I want. The only thing I really have to do is eat, sleep, and have fun. The rest of my life is put on hold for 7 days. Alcohol is there if I want it but I don't have to have it to have a total blast.

Yes, I'd still have a great time! I'm not a big drinker so alcohol doesn't factor in as a primary consideration. There's something about being on a ship in the middle of the ocean with no worries that makes it the best vacation ever. Seeing all the islands that I probably wouldn't be able to afford to make it to individually is a huge plus for us. I love spending time with my dh without all of life's distractions. I was so afraid he wasn't going to love it as much as I knew I was going to. Luckily he's just as hooked as I am :)

I stepped onto the Sensation in May of 2006 and I didnt think of one piece of paper at work, not one complaint from the kids, not one room that needed painting and did not write one email and no phone calls and no racing around Needless to say, I was hooked!

It had nothing to do with the drinking

But that doesn't mean I didn't have a Strawberry Daiquari (sp?) (or two)

Archived