Formal Pictures..... But Not?

pampaul

We'll be on the Monarch of the Seas on a 4-night cruise in July. We're thinking of this cruise as more of a casual vacation (we'll be just coming off of a 7 night Disney World vacation....which is always a hectic week) LOL

So I'm thinking that instead of eating in the dining room that night, we'll just grab something quick and sit poolside for the night.

But I'm also interested in getting some pictures taken as well while we're onboard. Even though we won't be dressed up in formal wear that night, will we still be able to get our pictures taken by the photographer? I know we might look out of place, but it'll still be nice to be able to have a photo done. And I'm not willing to pack formal wear just for the sake of having the pic done if we're not going to "formal night", ya know?

What are your thoughts?

We'll be on the Monarch of the Seas on a 4-night cruise in July. We're thinking of this cruise as more of a casual vacation (we'll be just coming off of a 7 night Disney World vacation....which is always a hectic week) LOL

So I'm thinking that instead of eating in the dining room that night, we'll just grab something quick and sit poolside for the night.

But I'm also interested in getting some pictures taken as well while we're onboard. Even though we won't be dressed up in formal wear that night, will we still be able to get our pictures taken by the photographer? I know we might look out of place, but it'll still be nice to be able to have a photo done. And I'm not willing to pack formal wear just for the sake of having the pic done if we're not going to "formal night", ya know?

What are your thoughts?

They take photos nearly every night and some are very casual, family-style settings. Get in every line you see and then pick the best. No worries about what you are wearing.

There will be plenty of photos ops even on a 4-nighter. Don't worry about what you're wearing. The photographers certainly won't care. And who cares what other passengers may think. :p ;)

What a great way to top off a hectic 7-night WDW trip - a nice, relaxing cruise. :cool:

Please don't worry.... the photographers will be delighted to take your pic.... they will be in a number of locations so have a few done in different places then pick the one you like best!

There are actually different locations on the ships to have your pictures taken? Not just in the dining room? I mean can I get my family together for a group picture somewhere on the ship?

There are actually different locations on the ships to have your pictures taken? Not just in the dining room? I mean can I get my family together for a group picture somewhere on the ship?
How large is your group? The photographers generally set up in the same 3 or 4 places every night before early dining and in between early and late dining (times and locations will be listed in the Compass). If you have more than, say, 6 or 8 people, it may be hard to get a group shot where they are set up. But you can always ask.

You can go to the photo gallery and set up a time and place for larger groups. I'm not sure if there is a fee involved in doing this though.

An easy way to get a group photo is to all get off at a port at the same time and get it taken there. The photographers are always set up where you disembark to take photos and there is generally more room for a large group.

My favorite quote was by Javier, the room steward, when I asked it he cares where I move the items from the mini bar so my DH doesn't accidentally drink any.

"It's your boat for the next week ... enjoy yourself ... it's your vacation"

We did like you. Took lots of pictures. I liked the informal ones better than the formal ones anyway.

On our last cruise this was the first time they set up multiple picture "stations" on most every night (can't remember for sure # of nights out of 9), but my casual pictures turned out better than my formal ones did. Maybe someone on board can tell you when they will have the stations set up during your cruise and you can plan accordingly.

If I remember correctly, they do "Lifestyle" pics. They range from very informal pics to formal dress pics. I remember seeing a family dressed casually in coordinating colors with no shoes on. Pics turned out very nice. You may want to inquire about them once you board.

The dining room is their prime target as EVERYONE dining is dressed up on formal night in one sense or another so they capture everyone..... it's difficult to avoid them.... they are VERY keen!! Then they'll be by a staircase somewhere.... and if there's a bridge or internal walkway.... something that has a good background.... they have different portable backgrounds too.... you can also arrange for a personal informal picture to be taken with a white background.... some of those can be quite unique and relate more to the people as individuals rather than being on a cruise ship.

There's a website where you can go see images from previous cruises.... for people who want to re-order..... I'm having problems opening the link so will post it if I can get it to work....

This is an example of a "Lifestyle" photo:

2qbhuvl.jpg

They use the white background and are very innovative with the poses (the boa is mine - they don't have props). Great way to have a family portrait done if you don't want to go the formalwear route.

On my Princess cruise, with a group from a community chorus I belong to, about 15-18 people decided to do a lifestyle picture one night. The photographer was patient and creative and the results were priceless!

Thank you all for the info on how, when and where they do the picture taking. We have 14 in our group, 8 are family. With the info you have provided I now have a plan. I will have a family photo done on the ship and have our whole group done off the ship, maybe standing in front of the ship, if they do that. It would be awesome if they can get the whole ship in the picture. Of course I will still buy some dining room photos as we all look so "nice" at dinner.

Thanks again all..........

Archived