Machu Picchu Shorex Veterans?

MrsMuir

Hola, Amigos. DH and I went to a locally-sponsored cruise show yesterday even though we had sadly agreed that we needed to resist cruising until we paid off our new roof. Fighting waves of emotion as we waited for the packing demo to begin, I asked DH what cruise he would take next if he had his choice. Without looking up from his drawing, he replied, "South America, to Machu Picchu." I opened the brand-new 2010 catalog I'd just snagged from the HAL desk, and found "Incan Empires," on our favorite ship Rotterdam.

Long story short, we put down a deposit for the 15-day version of this cruise (there is also a 30-day) and will get the pricing details in a day or two. I pulled up the itinerary on the HAL website, and it looks like the ship stays in Callao (Lima) on Day 14, staying for two nights. The shore excursions to Machu Picchu come in a Standard and in a Superior version, with the Superior excursion going to the ruins while most of the tourists are at lunch. There is no price noted; just four dollar signs indicating it's over $150 :rolleyes:. Since it involves flights to and from Cuzco, 2 nights in a hotel, etc., I imagine this is a very pricey expedition. Of course I will try to get the approximate price from the agent.

I did a search on "Machu Picchu" here on CC and got 250 hits. The first few pages were not very productive and some items were not about Machu Picchu at all. If you are an experienced HAL shorex traveler to Machu Picchu, can you tell me if there is ENOUGH TIME spent at the site? We're still reeling from the frantically-rushed stops at the Pyramids and the Sphinx in October, and do not want to be disappointed like that again.

I would appreciate learning from your experiences, please.

Mrs Muir

Well, I didn't go to Machu Picchu on a Shorex, but the procedure is basically the same for everybody. You fly to Cusco one day, stay there overnight, and then take the train and bus to the ruins and back the next day. Then another night at Cusco, and then back to Lima (or wherever the ship has moved to).

This allows you three hours at the ruins, but that includes lunch. When I went, you weren't forced to go to lunch, but could stay at the ruins instead and so that is what I did (and without having to pay extra for the privilege of skipping lunch!). Hopefully, someone with experience on the HAL version will know if skipping lunch is an option. Why any one would voluntarily give up time at such a place for the mundane activity of a lunch is far beyond me, I must say.

And such a place it is; there is no compare. At Machu Picchu, you are in the upper reaches of the Amazon Basin, at an altitude of 7000 feet, and clouds typically drift around the nearby mountain peaks, tropical birds flit around. The ruins are many and wonders to behold.

Of course, the whole trip is fantastic, dodging peaks as you fly in to Cusco, Cusco itself with extensive Inca ruins, the train trip over the Andes divide at 13,000 feet. Yes, many will have problems with the thin air and, although HAL brochure talks about an option of oxygenated rooms in Cusco (altitude 11,200 feet) that you can book in advance, its hard to know in advance if you will have difficulty.

One question is whether going as part of a HAL Shorex as opposed to making a separate land vacation to Machu Picchu from the US makes sense. On a separate vacation, you can stay overnight at Macchu Piccu, and without giving up three days of a cruise. Another option is to go to Macchu Piccu as a pre-cruise or post-cruise addition to a South American cruise.

I just returned from Peru a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that 3 hours at Machu Picchu is not enough! We arrived at 6:00am and were not ready to leave at 3:00pm. It is amazing. If you are adventurous, it is very simple to arrange the trip to MP on your own. I would fly to Cuzco and take the train to Agua Calientes the same day. The next morning, board the 5:30am bus to MP to take in the sunrise. You can then take the train back to Cuzco later that afternoon.

Have a great trip!

Thank you, Pete Jackson and luv2getaway. Since Lima is the last port, it makes sense to see Machu Picchu on our own rather than be limited to a shore excursion. I'll do some research along those lines.

Mrs Muir

Thank you, Pete Jackson and luv2getaway. Since Lima is the last port, it makes sense to see Machu Picchu on our own rather than be limited to a shore excursion. I'll do some research along those lines.

Mrs Muir

I would for sure arrange it on your own. HAL prices are simply outragous! I was going to go to Machu Picchu on my 26 day cruise but the 3 days we had in Peru would have been to risky to plan something myself. Hal wanted $3200 (single occupancy) although double wasn't much better. I would really encourage you to do it yourself since that option is open to you. I thought Lima was a pretty amazing place as well. Good luck.

. If you do go be sure you check with your doctor's. We had several people on our tour get sick from the height in Cusco. You can do this trip on your own. Be sure to get an early morning flight into and out of Cusco. It is off times fogged in. I sugest a good hotel, makes it much more enjoyable. I think the suggestion of staying in Agua Caliente is a good one. There are several good tour company in this area. We used the one --a famous Peruian bird, name. They were excellent a meet every wish. Do plan out what you want to do in Cusco.---there are several excellent sights --day trips nearby. Also this town was the centre of the empire---and will worth a several days. We loved. We would like to go back and hike the trail. Enjoy

Macchu Piccu is easier, better and cheaper if you do it on your own. Go on the way to Rio or after Lima. The South American board has EXCELLENT information on doing it on your own. DW and I just got back a few weeks ago and are so glad we didn't do a shorex.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions I can, but might have to wait a couple of weeks.

Search for posts from 'Greatam' in the South America board, her info was priceless

If you are paying off your roof...You don't want to know...There was a poster asking about this on Carnival Splendor, and Carnival's excursion is $$$$3995!!! She found an outside vendor offering same itinerary for $1995. Still very steep! EM

I've never taken the shorex, but we have planned and done it on our own. We wished we had more time than we did and we were there all day as we stayed in Aqua Caliente. If you are going to go to the trouble of going up there, which I highly reccomend, it's absolutley amazing, then plan it on your own so you can stay awhile. It's a lot of traveling for only 3 hours. Having a tour guide in the ruins is wonderful, you understand things so much better. I'd arrange to have one if you can, but just at the ruins not the whole way there and back from Cuzco or Lima. There are many things to see around Cuzco, which is an amazing place as well, if you can stay a few days. Food and hotels are very inexpensive in Peru and you'll be able to do it for much less on your own than the company will charge.

Everyone's so helpful -- thanks. My TA quoted a private tour company at $1956 pp., but that includes 2 nights at a fabulous hotel. Don't know if "fabulous" is part of our budget, however.

Mrs Muir

My wife and daughter's family went a couple of years ago. DD found a hotel (online) that is run by a Dutch charity in Cusco, as clean as you would expect in Holland. Hotel was basic, but super-clean, good beds private baths and good location at a VERY low price. AND, any profit goes to charity!

If you're staying in Lima a few days, get a hotel in Miraflores, just outside downtown Lima. Safer and nicer, but be sure to take a tour in Lima.

If you're staying in Lima a few days, get a hotel in Miraflores, just outside downtown Lima. Safer and nicer, but be sure to take a tour in Lima.

I agree...Lima is an amazing place! It was one of my favorites on my 26 day cruise to South America.

Archived