question abbout tipping!!!

seabourndt

HUH?????

You do understand that the cost of the cruise would have to increase, don't you? :confused:

Why should they? If the P&O section of Carnival can run 6 massive ships, often full months in advance, without service charge, 15% on drinks and allow you to take alchohol on board, why can't the rest of the cruise industry? -similar prices, same service, attractive decor done by the same firm as Princess, staff from all over the world-I'm just annoyed that the service charge on NCL has gone up by$2 per day after we have paid in advance. If this is charged on our account without a by-your-leave in two weeks time I will probably be joining all the other Brits at reception to remove it-and yes, my next cruise is now booked with P&O-jocap.

Why should they? If the P&O section of Carnival can run 6 massive ships, often full months in advance, without service charge, 15% on drinks and allow you to take alchohol on board, why can't the rest of the cruise industry? -similar prices, same service, attractive decor done by the same firm as Princess, staff from all over the world-I'm just annoyed that the service charge on NCL has gone up by$2 per day after we have paid in advance. If this is charged on our account without a by-your-leave in two weeks time I will probably be joining all the other Brits at reception to remove it-and yes, my next cruise is now booked with P&O-jocap.

If you booked through a UK agency and opted to prepay the service charge you will not be charged the additional $2/day.

I understand that tipping in the US and UK is a cultural difference. And BECAUSE it's a cultural difference, cruisers from the UK really need to suck it up and also understand that it's a cultural difference.

You CHOSE to sail with a US-headquartered company. As such, you need to understand that tipping expectations should be in line with US norms. I don't complain when I go to a foreign country and am expected to do things according to the norms of that country, even when it's different than what I do back home. That's just part of travel.

If you don't agree with it, then don't travel.

Thank you Falken-that's taken the wind out of my sails! I'm still looking forward to my cruise, but also looking forward to embarking in Oct with a large box of Australian red under my arm!-thanks-jocap.

I understand that tipping in the US and UK is a cultural difference. And BECAUSE it's a cultural difference, cruisers from the UK really need to suck it up and also understand that it's a cultural difference.

You CHOSE to sail with a US-headquartered company. As such, you need to understand that tipping expectations should be in line with US norms. I don't complain when I go to a foreign country and am expected to do things according to the norms of that country, even when it's different than what I do back home. That's just part of travel.

If you don't agree with it, then don't travel.

Thank you Dukegirl. I suppose we were taken in by this gorgeous new ship which was settled in Southampton, and another in Dover which called itself "Norwegian" C.L.U.K.! It was the same when Freedom and Indie from RCI sailed in for their maiden voyages. Because they were settled in the UK for several months, people didn't stop to think who really owned them until they had to pay in dollars. Naturally, we expect to pay US charges in the Caribbean or sailing from Miami.etc., but people used to using the local cruise firms were taken aback when they were charged from the UK. It's causing MASSIVE discussions on the web sites, and along with terrible reviews for Jade is quite disturbing for a line which now has to stay in Europe for more than a year. But thank you for your remarks-I always try to stay culturally aware-especially in multi-cultural Britain.-jocap.

Tipped employees in the US are taxed on what they report they made (if this amount is below minimum wage, the employeer must make up the difference). Yes, if you are reporting just above minimum wage and work at a high end restaraunt you may eventually be investigated or your employeer may not let you report that little because they don't believe you and don't want any tax man trouble. You are not just taxed on 18% of your gross receipts, as has been mentioned here before. If your employeer is reporting for you at XX% of your gross receipts and you are not making that you need to object as you are fileing false tax statements, which is illegal.

Most employees on the ship are also not from the US, they are paid in cash and must report their earning themselves to their country according to its laws (non-US flagged ships).

and you think they do report what they make? I don't think so, of course if someone is working in a truely upscale dining establishment like, Ruths Chris and they report they only made $20 per night in tips, IRS might question this, but overall and I have had many family members in the restaurant business especially in college, do not report what they make. I would guess the same in other countries...

This is one of the perks of being a server or house keeper.

Nita

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the GEM. However, we did have one day of bad service and DH was planning to remove one day of tips becuase of it. We were told to come to the pursers desk on the last day of the cruise to remove the tips. The day after this incident we received a gift card in our cabin for a free dinner and bottle of wine at any specialty restaurant for our family of 4 adults. Because of the excellent response to our complaint, we never did remove any tips and actually tipped extra. We enjoy tipping for excellent service, but we don't like tipping for bad service.

One thing that did annoy us was that we were never notified after booking our cruise that our tips would increase from $10per person per day to $12 per person per day. I read this info on Cruise Critic before the cruise but was suprised that NCL never notified us of the service charge (tips) increase before we boarded. I simply don't like surpise added on after I agree to purchase something at a specific price.

I think this service charge increase would have been more acceptable if it was added on in smaller increments each year.

Just my opinion. BTW, I will be posting a review for anyone who is interested in the GEM.

the subject of not being notified has come up several times lately. I probably would have been a little upset, but the information about this has been all over these boards, other boards and on the NCL website for months. If you make a reservation for your favorite land restaurant on Monday and the prices are going to go up on Thurs, do you think the person taking your reservation will tell you this? As for adding on in smaller incrments, this is always a touchy thing. I see both sides of this...

And golfer, you just screwed everyone, I hope this makes you feel good, By adjusting the tips downward everyone in the pool is affected. then you ask about "what happened to freestyle tipping" what hat did you pull that one out of? there has never been anything called freestyle tipping...

Nita

Whatever happened to freestyling tipping. I don't understand.

LOL, I agree. Since I intended to tip anyway, it doesn't bother me. And if I were to get truely bad service, I might walk up and demand it to be adjusted. But all things considered, the amount sounds resonable, and may actually be less than I would have tipped cash. Not because I'm loaded, because I lose track.

Still, tipping is supposed to be an optional reward for a job well done. I can see how some employees might lose their enthusiasm if it is prepaid.

Reminds me of a story about a close family friend. He and his wife would take long cruises, never less than 10 days. On the last day they always ate on the Lido deck so they wouldn't run in to their dining room waiter. I don't know if they left their cabin steward anything, but the waiter never got a penny. This guy was loaded too. At one time he was the super in a large apartment building. Every Christmas eve he would stand in the lobby and greet all the tenants coming home. The idea was to pigeon hole them for a tip. What a guy....

I have had many family members in the restaurant business especially in college, do not report what they make. I would guess the same in other countries...

This is one of the perks of being a server or house keeper.

Nita

Well, I wouldn't call tax evasion a "perk", more of a federal crime that lots of people get away with. :)

But that was really my point... they are taxed on what they report, not what they make. As you mentioned, people under report all the time. I would be willing to bet lots of the crew on the foreign flagged ships do not pay any taxes at all on their money.

I don't mind having the tips automatically added to my account. I do wonder if the service is not as good seeing that the staff knows they are assured a tip no matter what level of service they provide.

Has anyone been dissatisfied with the service?

I don't mind having the tips automatically added to my account. I do wonder if the service is not as good seeing that the staff knows they are assured a tip no matter what level of service they provide.

I have only been dissatified by the bar/drink wait staff who get an additional tip per drink they sell.

From my last 3 cruises here is my experience with the drink staff (theater, show, etc.):

1) You order an alcoholic drink, it comes back pretty quick, and when its gone you are asked if you would like something else.

2) You say "no thank you" to the drink, you will then be asked by 20 people if you would like something from the bar. (I think the people slowly walking around with the trays in their hand is enough without getting your attention away form the show and making sure you answer no thank you over and over).

3) You order an ice water - you will never get it. If another server asks if you want something and you try agian, you still won't get it.

4) You order a soda, you get it eventually, and they never come back.

#1 You are generating the biggest "tip", the service is good.

#2 You are non-revenue and that needs corrected.

#3 This one is the best - since you ordered something that creates no tip there is no need looking your direction agian.

#4 You ordered a low-tip item, effort is best placed on a #1 customer.

When I booked my cruise in the Fall of 2008 for a Spring 2009 sailing, the suggested tip amounts were $10 per adult and $5 per child. Now I see they have been modified to $12 per person, so what was a projected $420 charge is now $720, an increase of over 71%. Hmmm, that's probably not going to happen . . . .

Well, I wouldn't call tax evasion a "perk", more of a federal crime that lots of people get away with. :)

But that was really my point... they are taxed on what they report, not what they make. As you mentioned, people under report all the time. I would be willing to bet lots of the crew on the foreign flagged ships do not pay any taxes at all on their money.

oh, come on, you know better than that????

Shall we report all those who are in the industry..what about housekeepers, I don't have one, but when I did she had to be paid in cash, why do you think that?

Nita

When I booked my cruise in the Fall of 2008 for a Spring 2009 sailing, the suggested tip amounts were $10 per adult and $5 per child. Now I see they have been modified to $12 per person, so what was a projected $420 charge is now $720, an increase of over 71%. Hmmm, that's probably not going to happen . . . .

I agree they should charge the rate it was when you booked your cruise, not when you sail. They should also offer US customers an option to prepay to lock in the price.

Service overall is not as good as it used to be, why? My guess is the crew, on all lines, have more tables, more cabins, more whatever they are responsible for. the auto tipping might affect service slightly, but remember these crew members also know many give them extra, in case for a really good job plus a few bad reports and their contracts will not be renewed. Thus I don't think auto tipping makes a great deal of difference.

Nita

At first I was trying to figure out how you came up with your figures and then it dawned on me, you are traveling with kids. I too would be taken back a little, but remember NCL is the only line that used to adjust tips for kids, they are just catching up with Princess, RCI,etc..Does that make you feel better? Probably not, it does make sense though.

Nita

bar service employees do not participate in the pool of mandated gratuities.

they receive their $ from 15% pool

I don't like the $48/day we paid for 4 of us in a penthouse but it is the standard.

I have taken my first freestyle cruise since our last cruise on the Norway [when it exploded] and I notice the difference with service--markedly so.

re: when in foreign countries I tip according to custom, which means in Japan-no; most Eu's, round up and give for excellence; other Asian countries, according to service and compassion.

At first I was trying to figure out how you came up with your figures and then it dawned on me, you are traveling with kids. I too would be taken back a little, but remember NCL is the only line that used to adjust tips for kids, they are just catching up with Princess, RCI,etc..Does that make you feel better? Probably not, it does make sense though.

Nita

Two things are ridiculous - the amount of the increase, and the final total after increase.

If I was to, however unlikely, take my family out for breakfast, lunch and dinner while staying at a hotel for 12 days in a row, I would probably be tipping on average $5, $10 and $15 respectively per meal and would be leaving $5 per night for the maid. With that said, I guess you could argue the $35 per day on the ship makes sense, given good service.

I cannot actually envision the situation where I would be tipping wait staff $8.50, $17 and $25.50 every single day of the 12 days/36 meals. That would make the average dinner more than $160. Once in a while, sure, but for 12 nights in a row? Again, unlikely.

Two things are ridiculous - the amount of the increase, and the final total after increase.

If I was to, however unlikely, take my family out for breakfast, lunch and dinner while staying at a hotel for 12 days in a row, I would probably be tipping on average $5, $10 and $15 respectively per meal and would be leaving $5 per night for the maid. With that said, I guess you could argue the $35 per day on the ship makes sense, given good service.

I cannot actually envision the situation where I would be tipping wait staff $8.50, $17 and $25.50 every single day of the 12 days/36 meals. That would make the average dinner more than $160. Once in a while, sure, but for 12 nights in a row? Again, unlikely.

I do understand what you are saying, I may not agree witht he figures, my point, all lines charge the same for kids as adults, NCL has decided to fall into line. As for what you would tip for a meal: I guess you have a family of 4, right? $5 even for breakfast, depending on where you eat is a little on the low side. I do agree about the 12 day thing, I have always said, that is one thing I love about cruising (not the tips) but the fact I can go to dinner and have appitizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert every night. If I were ordering from a menu on a normal vacation I would think twice about ordering all those courses because of cost. Appitizer min $5.00 (conservative) soup $4.00, salad, maybe included, entree $20.00 and dessert at least $5.00. Now we have $34.00 per person, tip at 18% (nice restautant) $6.12 per person. Lunch tip would be about $3.00 per person and breakfast say the same. So you have almost the full $12.00 per day without housekeeping tip.. AS I said, you are right, you probably wouldn't be eating in all upscale or mid scale dining rooms for 12 nights. Still I don't feel $12 is totally out of line. Now, if they raise it to $15 next year then I will be livid....

Nita

I do understand what you are saying, I may not agree witht he figures, my point, all lines charge the same for kids as adults, NCL has decided to fall into line. As for what you would tip for a meal: I guess you have a family of 4, right? $5 even for breakfast, depending on where you eat is a little on the low side. I do agree about the 12 day thing, I have always said, that is one thing I love about cruising (not the tips) but the fact I can go to dinner and have appitizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert every night. If I were ordering from a menu on a normal vacation I would think twice about ordering all those courses because of cost. Appitizer min $5.00 (conservative) soup $4.00, salad, maybe included, entree $20.00 and dessert at least $5.00. Now we have $34.00 per person, tip at 18% (nice restautant) $6.12 per person. Lunch tip would be about $3.00 per person and breakfast say the same. So you have almost the full $12.00 per day without housekeeping tip.. AS I said, you are right, you probably wouldn't be eating in all upscale or mid scale dining rooms for 12 nights. Still I don't feel $12 is totally out of line. Now, if they raise it to $15 next year then I will be livid....

Nita

I'm not too worried about it, as I am good enough at math to figure out what is a fair amount and act accordingly. Two things I know:

1. I am not going to be unduly swayed by "suggested amounts".

2. An increase in what NCL calls "service charges" of more than 71% is ridiculous.

• Administrators
I'm not too worried about it, as I am good enough at math to figure out what is a fair amount and act accordingly. Two things I know:

2. An increase in what NCL calls "service charges" of more than 71% is ridiculous.

Have a great cruise! FWIW, I don't think NCL should have applied the service charge increases to those who booked prior to the announcement of the increase. We consider tips a budget item, and do mentally allow a bit of flexibility (so for us we had an increase of $4 per day, total, for 2 adults with this change, which is within reasonable limits). But if we sailed with kids, this increase would be significantly outside the amount we'd budget for, and I'd be upset, too. I do think Nita is completely correct -- NCL has kept kid tips lower than EVERY other line for a long time now, and are just adjusting it to match -- but I still think it shouldn't have been applied retroactively.

Don't worry about suggested amounts -- that's not how NCL works -- you will need to visit the purser's desk before disembarking and have the tips adjusted, because it's not a "suggestion" -- it's a "billed to your sign and sail" amount. I'd go early in the day on a fairly early day of the cruise -- lines get long later in the day and later on the cruise, and on the morning you disembark are very long, indeed.

A $2 increase in tips is NOT a 71% increase, it's a 20% increase.

AND, do you get to discount the tips for your kids when you go out to dinner at home? So why should you get to discount your kids tips on a cruise? They still eat, they still shower, they still mess up the room, they still use the services. And a cabin steward on a ship does much more than a maid in the hotel.

I am sorry, but I don't think that kids tips should have ever been discounted. It is your choice to bring your children and from my experience, kids make a bigger mess in the cabin, restaurant and on the ship than adults. Beside the fact that the crew that you don't want to tip is watching your kids when you are looking the other way to make sure they don't go overboard.

Stop complaining about tipping the crew. They work hard and deserve every bit they get.

Cruising is a choice...this thread makes it sounds like you're being forced to pay higher taxes. If you don't like it, don't go....take a cruiseline where tipping is not expected (but keep in mind, you'll need to add a zero to the sales invoice over what you're paying now), or take a line that has the more traditional format. Why complain about something that is in place.

It is what it is...and you have a choice. Accept it and go, or protest, and don't.

[P.S. I'd be interested to see how the rest of that vacation bill panned out as compared with the total cruise price]

I would normally say if you "can't afford" the daily service charge or if you have a problem thinking it is too much, or if you are offended by not being able to stiff the staff you want to stiff of a tip to book another line. You have time to cancel and get your money back. However the one time I do completely agree is for those that booked ahead of the announcement of the daily service charge going up WHO have children going on the cruise with them. I do not think the precentage the charge went up for adults is that bad, but when you budget to pay $3.00 or $5.00 a day for your children and then it is raised to $12.00 a day, that is a legit concern in my book. We do not have children, but still our daily service charge, what we tip the Concierge, the Butler, the Cabin Stewards (yes we like to give them a little extra) is all figured into our vacation budget and I have the spreadsheets to prove it. That would upset me too if I booked and had a trip budgeted and all of a sudden some item was going to cost hundreds more than what we had planned on.

That does not mean that I do not think children should not be charged the same daily service charge as adults. I do think they should be. I'm just saying if they were booked on the trip before the daily service charge went up I would be upset too and I do think those booked prior to the announcement should only pay the amount it was when they booked.

I know I've already had my knuckles rapped for bringing this up, but why should it cost more? I'm an Ncl fan and would prefer to travel on this line, but it is costing me less on my Oct cruise, without any service charge or 15% drinks price, for a slightly longer cruise with P&O. Without going into the rights or wrongs of tipping, how do so many cruise lines run excellent cruises at low prices, and keep their staff, who we're supposed to be paying extra for make-up wages? Nor is it just P&O-it's Fred Olsen, Thomsons and Saga. There just seems to be something fishy about the whole argument of making up staff wages.-jocap

I thought that P&O left envelopes for tips in your cabin towards the end of the cruise. Not true?

Archived