Panama Canal Celebrity Question

davis0056

We'll be posting this question on the Panama Canal thread also, but since it relates directly to the Celebrity cruises, hopefully someone here can answer our question. We are looking for (and found) Celebrity cruises that not only go thru the canal but also stop at Cristobal Pier so we could do some tours of the area. Our confusion is that the time at Cristobar Pier is only 2-3 hours depending on the cruise yet the shore excursion run up to 7 hours and those are the ones we're interested in. Some of the cruises list Cristobar Pier, some say Cristobar Pier (pick up only) but the time in port is the same. How can there be 7 hour tours when you're in port only 2 hours?

Dave and Elaine:

We'll be posting this question on the Panama Canal thread also, but since it relates directly to the Celebrity cruises, hopefully someone here can answer our question. We are looking for (and found) Celebrity cruises that not only go thru the canal but also stop at Cristobal Pier so we could do some tours of the area. Our confusion is that the time at Cristobar Pier is only 2-3 hours depending on the cruise yet the shore excursion run up to 7 hours and those are the ones we're interested in. Some of the cruises list Cristobar Pier, some say Cristobar Pier (pick up only) but the time in port is the same. How can there be 7 hour tours when you're in port only 2 hours?

Dave and Elaine:

On a previouse Panama Canal cruise there was a tour that left the ship in Gatun Lake and ended in Cristobal. We wanted to take it but they cancelled it. I forgot exactly how it worked, but you can see how the ship lets you off for a 7 hour tour and picks you up at Cristobal even when the ship is only in Cristobal for 2-3 hours. You get off the ship 5 hours before it is going to dock in Cristobal. That is my best guess.

What typically happens is that the ship goes through the Gatun locks into Gatun lake. Then passengers who are on excursions, are tendered to shore to do their excursions.

Then the ship sails back out through the Gatun locks and docks at Cristobar Pier. There is a large open air building with some vendors there to do some local shopping while waiting on the passengers on excursions to return to the ship.

As stated that is what happens. As I recall some people took a tender of sort while in the lake. In our case, we were late getting though the second set of locks and did not arrive in the port until after dark. What you miss (depending on the excursion) is the trip though the second set of locks. We stayed on the ship so that we could experience the locks a second time and the announcement by the local official. We were on the Summit in February 2007. I remember that is was very hot and humid. I would think that a seven hour excursion that did not include air condition would be somewhat uncomfortable. You will have a great time so enjoy your cruise.

Archived