what's the best/cheapest way to book a cruise?

I just found out about *************.com and that's how I just booked my latest cruise. It's similar to a reverse auction. You choose the exact cruise itinerary and date you're interested in and then travel agents bid for your business.

Yes, I used one of those "competing" web sites to book my next cruise. Great deals. Still would like to find a no down payment situation for a 2011 cruise, and I don't think there's anyone offering that.

Well, I myself like booking directly with the cruiseline online so that I am in charge of my own booking. Most sites cannot offer you any lower of a price than the cruiseline does anyhow. What they can do though is offer incentives like OBC, a bottle of wine or lower deposits. I have been able to get many discounts when they drop their prices by calling directly. You do have to check often, which I tend to do anyhow and when I see a cabin become available that might be in a better location than my first pick it's very easy to change it online.

We just booked the RCCL Liberty of the Seas for 3/14 through a local travel agent. Just an example, the rate on RCCL web site was $799 each and she gave us $599 each. Granted, you'll almost always get a better deal other than the company's web site, but I like having a local connection.

I actually found if you have USAA for any of your insurances, they offer an awesome discount through some separate travel company. We saves almost 100$ a person this march, where crusing double rooms, window rooms, 2 people, for like 300$ a person for 4 nights on Carnival

When I was booking our cruise, I first settled on a few differeant companies and times. Carnival was offering the best deal with the "Early Saver" fares. I figured up my costs by booking to the point of putting in my C/C. I then went to 3 local TA, because my father who cruises a lot said that is the way to go. I liked having someone to go to locally and having a face to put with the voice. However, the price they gave me was 200-500 dollars more. When I told them the price I had they each said that they could not come close to matching it and to book online. I like having control over my own trip also. In the future I will probably book direct.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Your TA sounds wonderful! I live east of San Francisco in a town called Danville. We'll be taking the Celebrity Constellation in August to Scandinavia & the Baltics. I've been on several cruises but haven't taken one from SF!

Lisey

• 3 weeks later...
Are you sure about getting 2% back-how can check if you got it?

I have an AMEX Costco business card and get 1% back on any purchase anywhere; 2 % on travel related charges (including total price of cruise plus on board charges); 3% on dining out; 5% on all gas purchases. The non-business card gives you all the same, only difference is 3% on gas instead of 5%. I use the card for everything and it more than pays for my membership plus gives me extra $$$ once a year.

Some Merchants add on extra %'s. I got 5% extra for staying at Marriott recently.

Are you sure about getting 2% back-how can check if you got it?

We have used our Costco card for years. For us, we get the 2% back as a costco cift check. To be used at Costco. And it always adds up, so the cost of the card is worth it.

Now I have not used a cruise thru costco for I found better rates thru different sites

I've always used Costco Travel because there prices have always been the best compared to other agency, etc. We tend to book early, but always have been able for price adjustments when applicable. Never experienced any problems, etc.

I used to think pricing differences between TA's, even online discount TA's was minimal - after all, the only price the could cut was a percentage of their commission.

But I just booked a cruise with an online wholesaler, and saved $2000.

While we can't mention specific websites, look for a wholesaler who does huge business with the cruise line you want to book. It's a good idea to call the cruise line itself and ask who does large volume with them.

In general, these agencies will have a block of cabins on various sailings which they get at huge discounts from the cruise lines. (Note: some lines, like RCI, don't engage in bulk discounting - many do.) This enables wholesalers to sell the cabins at far below the going rate.

I have an AMEX Costco business card and get 1% back on any purchase anywhere; 2 % on travel related charges (including total price of cruise plus on board charges); 3% on dining out; 5% on all gas purchases. The non-business card gives you all the same, only difference is 3% on gas instead of 5%. I use the card for everything and it more than pays for my membership plus gives me extra $$$ once a year.

Some Merchants add on extra %'s. I got 5% extra for staying at Marriott recently.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Costco books NCL cruises.

Archived