What cut backs?

stacyeb

There's been a definate change in on-board entertainment this past year. It used to be that there was a "show" in the main theater every night on a 7 night cruise. In 2008 we noticed:

January 2008 (Serenade) The Love & Marriage Game show was the main (only) event one evening

April 2008 (Voyager) The Ice Show (also available in the daytime on other days) was the main (only) event one evening

July 2008 (Sovereign) 4 night...no changes

September (Radiance) One night's show was the headliners from 2 previous nights combining and doing shortened versions of their already performed shows

December 2008 (Monarch) 4 night...no changes

The trend I have experienced is the dropping one night's headliner and filling in with whatever they can come up with...

I just returned from VOS on the 11th (it seems like years ago now...LOL). I found the service in the Windjammer as well as the dining room to be exceptional. It might be just that we got lucky, but I doubt it. Our cabin attendant was phenomenal as well.

There are no more chocolates on the pillows, but who needs them? There is no more midnight buffet, but once again, did anyone really need to an additional meal at midnight??? There was no gift for returning cruisers, but who needs another photo frame of tote bag?

Barb

This post says no gifts for returning passengers :mad:

My upcoming cruise 3/1 on the Mariner will be out 6th in 10 years...and they are top notch. We have ALWAYS had a fantastic time and faboulus service. The things they have fazed out and are doing away with only will affect a few people. The midnight buffets were amazing to see. BUT most people really didn't need to eat more that late at night and it was for mare picture taking...the chocolate buffet was nice BUT agian...more food late at night...they do a very nice job having events later in the evening with waiters roaming with trays of food but if you are really hungry order extra at dinner (desserts are never a problem) and take it back to your cabin and put it in the fridge. The mints on the pillows at turn down was nice...but again...will not be missed if they make it up by the cute towel animals. :D They have scaled back on some of the shows the waiters used to do...but we can thank that on on to the "lawsuit happy perople". The service we've had on RCCL has always exceeded our expectations and we will continue to sail with them...unless we get caught with our Rum Runners.. :eek:

According to someone on the Brilliance at the moment, Diamond Members are no longer admitted to the Concierge Lounge.

Is this new policy?

There is a LIVE FROM post from the Brilliance right now where they explain that the Diamond Plus and Suites get to use the concierge lounge. Diamonds use an alternate on 13.

According to someone on the Brilliance at the moment, Diamond Members are no longer admitted to the Concierge Lounge.

Is this new policy?

No, it's not. It has been policy for quite some time where there may be an alternate (but basically equivalent) lounge for Diamond members in cases where the CL won't handle the number of people.

• 1 month later...

Would someone who's cruised in Jan or Feb 2009 please verify the following list that I believe notes the changes in 2009 onboard NOTS?

No chocolates (no biggie)

No more C&A gifts (REALLY bummed about that)

No more Party under the Stars w/buffet (liked the idea, but no need to eat again)

CL only for D+ and Suites (Jr. not included?)

Changes in prices for after hours Room Service and JR (no biggie)

Could anyone who's sailed lately verify please? I'm leaving on 3/19 and am really touting RCCL and this ship to the friends who are going. I don't want to disappoint them when certain things are missing! Thanks in advance!!

There is a LIVE FROM post from the Brilliance right now where they explain that the Diamond Plus and Suites get to use the concierge lounge. Diamonds use an alternate on 13.

We got to enjoy the alternate on 13 (Hollywood Odessy) Jan. 08 and it was lovely! Our favourite bartender Angela had our drinks ready by the time we were seated.

Kathy:)

I personally think not telling them anything about certain things that have changed would be a big mistake.. especially if you told them about this stuff from previous cruises. My parents used to cruise Royal and told me all about the midnight buffett, etcc. and I was all excited about it and thought WOW now that I am finally going on a Royal Cruise (because my cousin is getting married and I am the Matron of Honor) and get to see what they always bragged about and showed me pics of. If I didn't read these boards and learn this stuff... I would of been disappointed. It wouldn't ruin the cruise, but it would be dissappointing. Just a word of advice in my opinion.

Would someone who's cruised in Jan or Feb 2009 please verify the following list that I believe notes the changes in 2009 onboard NOTS?

Regarding our 4 Jan 09 Voyager cruise:

No chocolates (no biggie) We had them in our GS but did not use them.

No more C&A gifts (REALLY bummed about that) We got caps.

No more Party under the Stars w/buffet (liked the idea, but no need to eat again) I don't think there was one but I never go to them anyway.

CL only for D+ and Suites (Jr. not included?) There was an overflow lounge in Highnotes for all suite guests, D and D+

Changes in prices for after hours Room Service and JR (no biggie) Yes, there was a charge for late night room service but I never order after midnight so it did not bother me.

Could anyone who's sailed lately verify please? I'm leaving on 3/19 and am really touting RCCL and this ship to the friends who are going. I don't want to disappoint them when certain things are missing! Thanks in advance!!

We had a wonderful cruise and I am sure that you will, too. Bon voyage!

No chocolates (no biggie)

No more C&A gifts (REALLY bummed about that)

No more Party under the Stars w/buffet (liked the idea, but no need to eat again)

CL only for D+ and Suites (Jr. not included?)

Changes in prices for after hours Room Service and JR (no biggie)

Cruised 1/2/2009 on Explorer

No chocolates

C&A hats

No Buffet

CL not sure I'm gold

Room service charge after midnight till 5AM

Had a great cruise cut backs are not that bad. My parents Cruised for first time loved it, and didn't even relise that cut backs had been made since it was thier first cruise.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. Yes, I agree that not making a big deal of things is good, but those little things are some of what I have bragged about and what they are already expecting.

Can you verify no more gifts? If not, I will need to send myself one so there is something in my room for them.

Also, are Jr. Suites considered CL? I think not but would someone verify please. I may need to upgrade at the pier if I can. Also, are children under 21 permitted there? I can't quite remember. Thanks!

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. Yes, I agree that not making a big deal of things is good, but those little things are some of what I have bragged about and what they are already expecting.

Can you verify no more gifts? If not, I will need to send myself one so there is something in my room for them.

Also, are Jr. Suites considered CL? I think not but would someone verify please. I may need to upgrade at the pier if I can. Also, are children under 21 permitted there? I can't quite remember. Thanks!

If you friends are first time cruisers they would not be expecting a gift for past cruisers, would they? Again, we are all c&a and received caps.

No, the JS does not have CL privileges. I would not count on being able to upgrade at the pier. You better try that ASAP beforehand.

Children are not allowed in the CL during the hours that alcohol is being served.

Thanks so much! I was hoping for something OTHER than ball caps. Boo. What a stupid gift. I have upgraded at the pier before and got an owner's suite onboard NOTS. I'm hoping that I will have the same luck this time, but if not, then it's not worth the extra $$$ for just 4 nights.

Yes, I do have past cruisers aboard....one who is 11 and this is her second cruise. She was so excited to think she would get a gift. Another one has cruised Celebrity and Carnival, but not RCCL, so it's no big deal to her. If there's an overflow lounge for D pax then I'm ok with that even if I don't qualify as a JS.

Thanks again!

I for one don't like the charge for room service. As if I order anything it's going to be after out dancing and coming in late..same with my kids!! No other line does this! I always tip so adding that to the charge it can add up!!

You should warn them rather than not saying anything. They should not be deceived. Just dont wait and let them find out for themselves. You would want to know.

The cutbacks are going to be very noticeable. They get to pay $15 for steaks on some of their ships, late room service is also $4, JR price has been increased to $5, the burgers used to be included. No lunch in the mdr on port days, on sea days, same menu each time. Juices are not extra except for breakfast. The towel policy is really annoying.

Hopefully they are not hungry late at night. Most options have been eliminated especially the buffets and gourmet bites.

RCI is adding nothing, they are providing as little as they can get away with.

RCI's product has been brought down to an almost unaccectable level and they continue to cut every chance they get.

I don't want to start trouble here but I notice that you are seriously trying to slander this line. Not just in this post but others as well. I understand that people come on this forum to get information good or bad but come on they also want to be reassured what a great time they will have!! So what that they are giving you an OPTION to get a $15 steak, would I cancel my cruise b/c of it? Give me a break. I am 28 years old and I remember the 90's when crusing was the same price as I just booked for in 09 on a superior product with better options, more entertainment, more activities,and especially more wow factor!! So please if you have a beef with this line don't try and ruin it for others

I don't want to start trouble here but I notice that you are seriously trying to slander this line. Not just in this post but others as well. I understand that people come on this forum to get information good or bad but come on they also want to be reassured what a great time they will have!! So what that they are giving you an OPTION to get a $15 steak, would I cancel my cruise b/c of it? Give me a break. I am 28 years old and I remember the 90's when crusing was the same price as I just booked for in 09 on a superior product with better options, more entertainment, more activities,and especially more wow factor!! So please if you have a beef with this line don't try and ruin it for others

I agree. It seems that some of the "cutbacks" are small. It's a buffet. You can get mroe than one trip. A tray is a big concern??? Free/not free Johnny Rockets? Hasn't there been a charge for this for a while now? Don't you get a coupon book for a free meal there? Towel policy--you mean you can't just take a stack and stash them in your room to may or maybe not use? What about sharing with everyone and taking/using only what you need??? Many hotels land-side have had a version of this policy for years. I am sad to see the midnight buffet is not happening anymore. The spectacle of what can be done artfully with fruit is amazing, but I really didn't eat it. Late night room service fee? probably to cover people who order foor, then forget and fall asleep. $15 steak??? is that the regular steak offered, or is it a specialty steak like a filet, but also can be ordered any night aside from the regular menu?

Lots of small things that will not ruin my trip, in fact, maybe some of the more piggish people who are in the "the world revolves around me" category will move on to a ship more to thier liking (but probably not, since it will cost more.)

The $15 steak is in addition to the standard steak they give in the MDR> I actually think it is a GREAT IDEA!!!!! Especially if you are traveling with a big group or young children and you can't get to chops. I have never seen so many people in my life learn to complain about absolutely nothing. Life is short enjoy

I couldn't find a pencil or pen in my room. Very annoying, found an old mascara pencil that someone must have left behind to fill out the survey. Didn't mention how annoying it was not to have a pencil as I figured that we passengers have probably absconded with all the pens/pencils further hurting RCI's bottom line. All those sticky fingers form the masses. Or maybe its the crew, heh, could be their sending them home! Anyone think that could be what happened to the chocolates!

I have about 6000 pens from Marriott, I have to remember to bring one of them with me on my next cruise. I'm a RCI stockholder and will do what's necessary to improve their bottom line.

Archived