4/12 - 5 day cruise-first timers!

edhenry

As usual I will pack too much, wear only half of what I take and wish I had something else. I make a list, and then because there is room add items because I can! Delta makes you pay 15.00 for the 1st bag up to 50# so I'll pack 45, plus a carry on. I'm like most women you can't pack enough shoes.

Barbara

Martini Cruiser

I can't believe you said that about the shoes. I am being ridiculed mightily by my daughter and husband because I said I might bring 15 pairs (all sandals or flip flops except for the sneakers) My daughter has even been sharing this at work. I didn't actually count, so I doubt it will be that many and I can kind of see the absurdity of it. So my project is decreasing that number a bit. I look forward to meeting you.

Susan

I decided to reserve at taxi from the airport. It was $55.00 including luggage and we will be met with a sign. I think I need to decrease the stress factor here (I have some other stuff going on-moving my 93 year old mom from her adult community to a lifecare community) so I want to enjoy myself from start to finish. If that means overpaying a bit for a cab, so be it. At least it is not the $100plus price the limo service charges.

No jacket for my husband either. We are looking forward to dining outside as well. For the dining room, assume nice slacks and shirt - are short sleeves OK? For outside dining are nice shorts OK, or pretty much slacks anywhere on the yacht for evening ? What about late night, do people change back into nice shorts, or is dinner attire pretty much the standard for the rest of the evening ?

Have Friday off, so only TWO more working days for us ! !

Appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. We hope to be able to provide lots of feedback after the cruise.

No jacket for my husband either. We are looking forward to dining outside as well. For the dining room, assume nice slacks and shirt - are short sleeves OK? For outside dining are nice shorts OK, or pretty much slacks anywhere on the yacht for evening ? What about late night, do people change back into nice shorts, or is dinner attire pretty much the standard for the rest of the evening ?

Have Friday off, so only TWO more working days for us ! !

Appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. We hope to be able to provide lots of feedback after the cruise.

Short sleeves are okay in the dining room for dinner.

IMHO, shorts are not appropriate after 6:30 p.m. The only time I have seen anyone change after dinner has been for an impromptu PJ party where folks wear their new SD PJs.

Have a wonderful trip!

Short sleeves are okay in the dining room for dinner.

IMHO, shorts are not appropriate after 6:30 p.m. The only time I have seen anyone change after dinner has been for an impromptu PJ party where folks wear their new SD PJs.

Have a wonderful trip!

Are the PJs actually wearable? I mean are they comfortable enough that I might bring one less nightgown and wear the PJs instead?

I think I am getting silly because I am so excited.

I banged my leg on a stapler today and have this bump on by shin. So, anyone who will be on our sailing, just look for the slightly battered one and that will be me.

Are the PJs actually wearable? I mean are they comfortable enough that I might bring one less nightgown and wear the PJs instead?

I think I am getting silly because I am so excited.

I banged my leg on a stapler today and have this bump on by shin. So, anyone who will be on our sailing, just look for the slightly battered one and that will be me.

The PJs are quite wearable ... although I find them a bit warm for the Caribbean as they are long sleeved tops and long pants.

I tend to wear my PJs when it is cool here at home and when I am missing SD :p

The PJs are quite wearable ... although I find them a bit warm for the Caribbean as they are long sleeved tops and long pants.

I tend to wear my PJs when it is cool here at home and when I am missing SD :p

I wear mine to mow the yard or wash the car too. Also, spilled painkillers wash right out.

J.

Wonder how our first-timers are doing on SD1.

Hopefully they will check in!

I'm looking forward to that too, DJ! It is snowing here today after a tease of 60 degree weather...time to move south again!!

I NEED to hear about my SD1! ;):p

In light of the present and proposed changes in the Cuba Policy, it is likely that cruises to Cuba will be in the near future. SeaDream would be perfect for this and could operate from any Gulf port or Miami. The port of Pensacola comes to mind as, historically, it was one of the most active ports to Cuba. The fact that it is an hour or so from Casa de Bayou also appeals. What do you all think?

Jim.

In light of the present and proposed changes in the Cuba Policy, it is likely that cruises to Cuba will be in the near future. SeaDream would be perfect for this and could operate from any Gulf port or Miami. The port of Pensacola comes to mind as, historically, it was one of the most active ports to Cuba. The fact that it is an hour or so from Casa de Bayou also appeals. What do you all think?

Jim.

I think you've hijacked a thread - but sign me up -- I'm there. And tomorrow is not too soon - especially since its yet another wet grey cold day here (and the calendar says its April? that transatlantic crossing is sounding better every day)

FT

Jim.

DJ's DH and I had the same thoughts on Cuba. I really like the idea of FL for embarkation and disembarkation.

Didn't get a chance to check in from SD 1, but back home now and still numb. Met up with several other first timers, including Martini Cruiser, and the concensus is all expectations were exceeded. Really never would have imagined the dining experience would be so great - loved the splash/picnic yesterday. Really enjoyed the experience and already talking about a little longer than 5 days next time, as in "when", not "if".

Will try to get some pictures up and share some more details over the weekend.

Thanks to all who responded for the great tips and information.

What a GREAT trip. icon14.gif

Total thumbs up as well. My body still feels like I am rocking on a ship and hopefully that will stop soon (no seasickness to report though) The food was truly amazing, as was everything. Met Martini Cruiser as well. Will write more later. Thanks again all for the info and advice. We definitely will do SeaDream again. Now, it is time to make my own breakfast-ugh.

Didn't get a chance to check in from SD 1, but back home now and still numb. Met up with several other first timers, including Martini Cruiser, and the concensus is all expectations were exceeded. Really never would have imagined the dining experience would be so great - loved the splash/picnic yesterday. Really enjoyed the experience and already talking about a little longer than 5 days next time, as in "when", not "if".

Will try to get some pictures up and share some more details over the weekend.

Thanks to all who responded for the great tips and information.

What a GREAT trip. icon14.gif

Welcome back! Look forward to your thoughts and photos.

Total thumbs up as well. My body still feels like I am rocking on a ship and hopefully that will stop soon (no seasickness to report though) The food was truly amazing, as was everything. Met Martini Cruiser as well. Will write more later. Thanks again all for the info and advice. We definitely will do SeaDream again. Now, it is time to make my own breakfast-ugh.

Doesn't returning to the real world stink after all the spoiling on SD?

Looking forward to your review as well:D

This is one of the first timers, but not last timer. I'm hooked! The cruise was all I hoped for and exceeded expectations. I'll write more as soon as I get caught up at work ( a true 4 letter word now).

Just a few observations:

1- Charge a little more for the cruise and include Grey Goose, Ketel One etc which were surcharged while Stoly was the pour and Absolute was a included in the all inclusive pricing. I would gladly pay $50.00 to $100.00 more for the TOP SHELF spirits. I understand some of the high end cognacs being extra, also the better wines.

2- A fellow traveler ordered a couple of bottles from the wine list and did not get the vintage listed. When questioned about that Stefan (?) just said that was what was on hand. If you don't have a particular vintage re do the list.

3-There were also a few comments that the house wines the first couple of nights were not up to SeaDream norms. I heard this from several SD vets.

4- Don't make us go home, it's too much of a shock to the system. The real world is too cruel after being on SeaDream.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but the staff could not have provided better service, or been more friendly. I keep looking for Sebastain, Goran, Shaun, Olivier, Job, Thomas, Pierre and crazy dry humored Felix! No one has cleaned my glasses, filled my drink, and waited on me all day.

Like I said I'll try to do a more complete review later.

Martini Cruiser ( A SeaDream believer)

PS- Hi fellow April 12th cruisers, Oops almost forgot Gary in the Piano Bar who along with Goran and Shaun ( new to SD) put up with us singing and dancing on Wednsday night till closing! Goran said that he had never seen a group have that much fun!!!

I am taking a long time to decompress from this trip. I’ve been too exhausted to do much of anything, but am just starting to come back to life. I’m anxious to share a bit about our experience as first timers on SD.

First, the negatives: pretty much nothing fits into this category with the possible exception of our cabin being freezing until the last day when they finally just turned off the air conditioning entirely. Before that even my husband, who is always complaining about it being too hot, was wearing his SeaDream monogrammed PJs to bed. I was so happy for those PJs; I think I would have frozen without them. Anyway, that was pretty much the only negative.

I think what we particularly liked was the ambiance of being together with a small group of travelers on the same journey, yet feeling the freedom to do whatever we wished, whenever we wished to. No pressure to do anything or to look a certain way or join in any activities.

The service was always top notch and unobtrusive. Brenda, our cabin stewardess always had the room made up and cleaned while we had breakfast, not once did we come back to unmade beds. The dinners were fantastic, as fine food as I’ve eaten anywhere. Lunch was good as was breakfast, but those meals did not impress me nearly as much as dinner.

The islands we visited were lovely and we had some nice times on shore, but what really was the most enjoyable was just being on the ship. I felt so at home and comfortable; I almost could have skipped going ashore (with the notable exception of the champagne and caviar splash on Jost Van Dyke.) The splash was so much fun, the barbecue was delicious and just hanging out and walking on the beach made for a perfect afternoon. Because we were celebrating a belated 30th anniversary, we came back to a cabin filled with balloons, swans created from towels, rose petals on the bed and a cake that we both insisted we could not possibly even try because we were still full from the barbecue and had the 8 course degustation menu in just a few more hours…but… I said we had to try it and in less than 5 minutes we had devoured the entire thing. So, I would have to say we ate ourselves silly on this trip. I don’t know how anyone can do this for 9 days. I might be able to manage 7 but I felt like a stuffed goose after 5, so I don’t know.

I also had a Swedish massage (nice) and a minty foot massage (heavenly) and if I had to do it all over, I’d have scheduled a foot massage everyday and skipped the Swedish massage. I thought it was a bargain at $45.00. I used the gym a couple of times but I get dizzy on treadmills on ships, so I stuck to the recumbent bike. While the gym is small, there was never a time I had to wait.

My husband played blackjack every night and I just enjoyed the music or went back to the cabin and read. We used the library for the Internet and I have to say, the connection was so slow, it was almost not worth it. Without cell service, I felt pretty cut off from my kids and that was pretty much the only stress I felt the entire trip.

I could go on, but you get the picture- we had a ball and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences edhenry and martini cruiser:)

I laughed so hard about your comment martini cruiser on not making us go home:p

Sounds like you both totally got into the SD vibe.

You'd be surprised edhenry ... 9 nights isn't enough. You learn to pace your self at meal time ... and resign yourself to the fact that you will have to hit the treadmill for an hour a day after your return:p

Glad to hear that once again SD exceeded expectations.

Archived