4/12 - 5 day cruise-first timers!

edhenry

OK, April 12th cruisers, we have to get this thread going again. I can't wait to set sail. We're coming from New Jersey and have only cruised 4 times before and only on large ships. We are so psyched to try this new experience. DisneyJen and others have assured me we will never want to sail a large ship again after this and I fear they might be right.

I remain a little worried about seasickness. I met a lady today who said the patch did not work at all for her and she was on a large ship! Anyone have any experience with the patch and more importantly, if you have, is it really unsafe to drink alcohol? If so, it kind of puts a damper on things. You feel well, but can't enjoy it.

OK, April 12th cruisers, we have to get this thread going again. I can't wait to set sail. We're coming from New Jersey and have only cruised 4 times before and only on large ships. We are so psyched to try this new experience. DisneyJen and others have assured me we will never want to sail a large ship again after this and I fear they might be right.

I remain a little worried about seasickness. I met a lady today who said the patch did not work at all for her and she was on a large ship! Anyone have any experience with the patch and more importantly, if you have, is it really unsafe to drink alcohol? If so, it kind of puts a damper on things. You feel well, but can't enjoy it.

We are jealous of you.

There are times that I get motion sick I use a combination of the Bonine and the patch and have no trouble at all. Our March 6th trip was one of the most challenging that I have ever been on and I had no trouble at all with the patch applied. In fact the captain compared our first night to the Rockin Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios. There were three night when we got bounced around pretty good, but not even a hint of problem with motion sickness.

As far as alchol and the patch, It doesn't bother me at all to mix the two probably because the patch does not make me sleepy, it does however cause dry mouth so be prepared to drink a lot of water.

On SD be prepared to eat, drink, and be merry even with the patch applied.

Gotta love those Joisey girls;) While I am not one I certain relate to them as we have several in the family.

You will never be able to go back to the mega ships ... trust me.;)

We are jealous of you.

There are times that I get motion sick I use a combination of the Bonine and the patch and have no trouble at all. Our March 6th trip was one of the most challenging that I have ever been on and I had no trouble at all with the patch applied. In fact the captain compared our first night to the Rockin Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios. There were three night when we got bounced around pretty good, but not even a hint of problem with motion sickness.

As far as alchol and the patch, It doesn't bother me at all to mix the two probably because the patch does not make me sleepy, it does however cause dry mouth so be prepared to drink a lot of water.

On SD be prepared to eat, drink, and be merry even with the patch applied.

We are indeed jealous ... and of course a certain Captain would draw on an analogy related to Disney with a certain group on board:D

Hopefully Mother Ocean and Mother Nature have come to an agreement and you won't have to worry about it!

I find that Bombay and Diet Tonic work just fine as long as I have a full stomach. Guess it is those good old Nordic/Eastern European genes:cool:

I've been on everything from a 96 passenger Cruise West to the QM2, and even though I get car sick I've only had 1 bad night ( Windstar in the Med during a Mistral),and I'm not sure that wasn't the Martini's and too much good food. I use Sea Bands, they are elastic bands with a pressure point that you wear on your wrists, I only use these on rough days and they have worked for me. There are also a couple of other options that seem to work for some:

Saltines and green apples

Ginger

Champagne ( no kidding)

Keeping a full stomach, no problem on cruises

I have friends that use the patch and drink with no problem.

Martini Cruiser

Thanks for all the suggestions and reassurance. Poor Martini Cruiser will be with us if we get totally sick, WHICH IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I have to think positively. I've been getting more excited every day. I've never had a Martini (really!) but I look forward to meeting Martini Cruiser et al. and maybe trying my first.

We're starting to get excited as well...can't wait, only about 10 days left.

One question:

Gonzi's Limo Service quoted us over $125 to take us from the airport to the pier in St. Thomas. I'm guessing that is pretty outrageous for a 5 - 8 mile ride, correct? Does anyone know what a normal taxi charges from the airport?

Thanks

I just called Island Taxi and they said that we could either go on one of the non-private vans (which I'd be fine with but if we arrive late, I don't want to miss the ship) They quoted me a private taxi at $60.00 for two with luggage and they would meet us with a sign, etc. I think we may go for it even though it is more costly. I would hate to watch SeaDream sail off without us and have to catch a ferry to St. John to catch the ship.

Believe me- I am terrified of flight delays and losing luggage (though we are a straight shot from Newark.) I prefer to arrive a day early too but we just could not swing it.

BTW, Has anyone used Island Taxi? I just got them off the VInow website.

I imagine we'll give the taxi a shot...more money for a nice massage later on in the week...coming in on Sun with a straight flight out of Charlotte, getting in at 1:05...should be plenty of time.

Can't wait to meet everybody and have a few beers...

We are in the Princeton area. Got a flight arriving about 1:20 on Sunday.

Can't wait to meet everyone. I really hope there are not a lot of kids on board. I know that sounds anti-child, but I'm in the mood for an adults only vacation.

I just called Island Taxi and they said that we could either go on one of the non-private vans (which I'd be fine with but if we arrive late, I don't want to miss the ship) They quoted me a private taxi at $60.00 for two with luggage and they would meet us with a sign, etc. I think we may go for it even though it is more costly. I would hate to watch SeaDream sail off without us and have to catch a ferry to St. John to catch the ship.

The usual (average) rate for a taxi in STT to the pier at Crown Bay is $7.00 per person plus $2.00 per bag. To Frenchman's Reef, it is $10.00 pp plus $2.00 per bag. Plus tip..................

The usual (average) rate for a taxi in STT to the pier at Crown Bay is $7.00 per person plus $2.00 per bag. To Frenchman's Reef, it is $10.00 pp plus $2.00 per bag. Plus tip..................

I've beeen told by a couple of people that you can't get a regular taxi at the airport, just vans that carry more than one party of passengers. For about the rates you mentioned, we could use those but would possibly be subjected to multiple stops before ours, thus risking a delay in getting to the ship. I'm afraid that if our plane is late, we could be cutting it close. I was hoping the airport was like others I've arrived at where individual taxis are plentiful. I'd prefer not to have to pay $60.

That would then be the only airport I have ever heard of that did not tave taxis out front. But you may be right...if the plane is on time, I'll take my chances and save $60, if not we'll hop in and hire a van for $60...

But I imagine I could get a taxi driver to go buy me a few beers at a local bar and show me around town for $60. :)

I've beeen told by a couple of people that you can't get a regular taxi at the airport, just vans that carry more than one party of passengers. For about the rates you mentioned, we could use those but would possibly be subjected to multiple stops before ours, thus risking a delay in getting to the ship. I'm afraid that if our plane is late, we could be cutting it close. I was hoping the airport was like others I've arrived at where individual taxis are plentiful. I'd prefer not to have to pay $60.

Yes, the taxi vans are lined up and the drivers put people in the vans going to the same general area. They do wait for a full van. If the ship is at Crown Bay, that is very close to the airport, maybe a 5-10 minute drive, if that, depending on traffic. Most likely the first stop. STT airport is very crazy, especially on Sundays. There is usually some waiting involved for a full van. It is the luck of the draw...I have been there when my van filled up right away and we were off and away from the airport very quickly. I think $60.00 is highway robbery for such a short ride. But that is just me!!:p Good luck edhenry!

Yes, the taxi vans are lined up and the drivers put people in the vans going to the same general area. They do wait for a full van. If the ship is at Crown Bay, that is very close to the airport, maybe a 5-10 minute drive, if that, depending on traffic. Most likely the first stop. STT airport is very crazy, especially on Sundays. There is usually some waiting involved for a full van. It is the luck of the draw...I have been there when my van filled up right away and we were off and away from the airport very quickly. I think $60.00 is highway robbery for such a short ride. But that is just me!!:p Good luck edhenry!

Yeah, I hate to be taken and $60.00 bucks seems really steep, but I am too scared to just wing it and use a van. I have a friend who frequently travels to St. Thomas and she is pretty thrifty. She is the one who warned me about how long I might possibly have to wait to get a van filled up. Every day I listen to the radio and I can't remember a day in recent times where at least one or two of the NY area airports aren't having delays. Today at Newark it is 4 hours. It is raining, but not windy. I have no idea why there are such constant problems, but I'm worried. Perhaps I should call the captain now and ask him to hold the ship if we are late!!

Four more work days untill I leave forSTT, this will be the longest week at work, always is before a cruise. To add to the anticipation the weather was beautiful on Sunday in the 70's, trees blooming even had to cut the grass. Todays it's rainy and cold with a chance of snow forecast.

Martii Cruiser

We arrive around 2:00 and are optimistic about finding a taxi, but will do what we have to if it starts taking too long. Maybe we'll bump into one of our fellow CCrs to fill a van.

Can some of you that have been on SeaDream before give me an idea of what yacht casual is? For men is a jacket necessary in the dining room? For other places is shorts and a nice shirt ok for men or slacks preferred?

For women are dresses for dinner the thing or is more casual acceptable? I would like to dress one night to eat in the dining room but wondering how

casual the other nights are?

Thanks for the information before I go into a packing panic!

Donna

No jacket necessary for men. Some will wear them but likely not a majority in the Caribbean. Shorts and a nice shirt are fine around the yacht during the day.

As for dress code for ladies, I'll defer to others who can answer that more accurately than I can.

Hope you have a great trip.

As far as dress code for women ... during the day bathing suits and cover ups are fine as well as shorts and shirts.

After 6:30 p.m. the dress code changes to "yacht casual" which is like "country club casual." I take several pieces from Chico's Travelers collection ... pants, skirt, tops, dress and jacket ... that I mix and match.

Hope that helps!

I don't think my husband is bringing a jacket. I am bringing enough clothes for both of us. It is embarrassing. I hope to pare it down by Saturday, but who knows? My problem is not knowing what I am going to feel like wearing at any given time. But, as far as the evenings go, I think I am prepared. I have three dresses, two of them very summery and the third not really dressy either. I will wear capris and a blouse on the other two nights. I have sweaters or wraps of some sort to cover up on cool nights. We plan to eat outside whenever possible. Our friends who did a 9 day in January said they ate outside every night.

I have bathing suits, cover ups and a few shorts and tops. Oh yeah, exercise clothes. From the descriptions of the food and drink, I think those will be the most important things I take.

As usual I will pack too much, wear only half of what I take and wish I had something else. I make a list, and then because there is room add items because I can! Delta makes you pay 15.00 for the 1st bag up to 50# so I'll pack 45, plus a carry on. I'm like most women you can't pack enough shoes.

Barbara

Martini Cruiser

Archived