Private tour companies for large family group?

Hello,

We'll be at the following ports during our early June cruise: Depart from Barcelona, going to Vallencia, Mallorca, Provence (Marseilles), Villefranche (Nice), Livorno (Florence/Pisa), and ending at Civitavecchia (Rome).

Our family group will include 7 adults, 3 kids ages 5, 9, and 12, and my 14-month old daughter. I'm fully aware of the difficulties of this trip with such a young child, but it's a circumstance where we can't stay home (i.e., I do not need suggestions to leave her at home or not take the trip). I would, however, love some names of reputable private tour companies in those areas. We're such a large group that we'll nicely fill a van and we won't be stuck on a bus with 70 people who may have less patience for the kids.

What private tour companies are available and reputable at each port? I'm searching online, but it's so hard to tell what kind of quality you really get by just looking at a website. And I have to personally inquire since we're a unique group and will require a car safety seat for my infant.

Thanks! -Julie

Hello,

We'll be at the following ports during our early June cruise: Depart from Barcelona, going to Vallencia, Mallorca, Provence (Marseilles), Villefranche (Nice), Livorno (Florence/Pisa), and ending at Civitavecchia (Rome).

Our family group will include 7 adults, 3 kids ages 5, 9, and 12, and my 14-month old daughter. I'm fully aware of the difficulties of this trip with such a young child, but it's a circumstance where we can't stay home (i.e., I do not need suggestions to leave her at home or not take the trip). I would, however, love some names of reputable private tour companies in those areas. We're such a large group that we'll nicely fill a van and we won't be stuck on a bus with 70 people who may have less patience for the kids.

What private tour companies are available and reputable at each port? I'm searching online, but it's so hard to tell what kind of quality you really get by just looking at a website. And I have to personally inquire since we're a unique group and will require a car safety seat for my infant.

Thanks! -Julie

Private is the way to go! With such a larger group you likely will end up with two vans. They generally hold 6 comfortably. We had a group of 11 and then solicited tour share on roll call to get to 15 to help a bit with the costs.

In Rome, Naples, Florence / Pisa we used the often recommended Romeinlimo. I have yet to hear a bad review of them. They were great and catered to our every request and I had no worries at any moment. They provided two nice and confy vans and the drivers were great. Our younger one ( 7 ) at the time probably could have passed on the long drive to Amalfi. She actually got sick during that trip and another passenger similar for Florence and each time the drivers were simply superb in support of the emergancy. No question once she experience a day in the kids club that was what she wanted every day ;) But I think she really ended up enjoying being with the family exploring the sites those two days, we did miss her in the few ports we left her on the ship.

You'll likely have a blast but you'll need to be concious of of the toddler and the 5 year old. If it was me I'd probably draw straws ;) and find someone that can stay on the ship with the baby. Likely with such a larger party someone won't mind pulling that duty as everyone's port interest is slight different.

Thanks, I will check out those companies. We may take turns babysitting on the ship for some of the ports, but we all consider Florence to be the highlight of our cruise. We're hoping to find a group private tour that can accommodate all of us so no one misses out. Most of us will likely never get over there again. We know to expect that long day to be tough on the kids, but we're hoping we'll be able to have a good day and see the gorgeous Florence sights all together.

Has anyone used Tours-Italy? They have a professional-looking website and provided a reasonable quote.

Thanks, I will check out those companies. We may take turns babysitting on the ship for some of the ports, but we all consider Florence to be the highlight of our cruise. We're hoping to find a group private tour that can accommodate all of us so no one misses out. Most of us will likely never get over there again. We know to expect that long day to be tough on the kids, but we're hoping we'll be able to have a good day and see the gorgeous Florence sights all together.

Has anyone used Tours-Italy? They have a professional-looking website and provided a reasonable quote.

We have also used driverinrome on two occaisions. Both were very excellent, freindly and fun. Also very informative and they got us in to places without any wait. Highly recommended. And for Naples?Amalfi coast I highly recommend driveamalfi.com.Salvatore Lucibello is the owners name and he personally took us on a tour. Great driver, excellent tour and really a gentleman. If you ask for him you may get lucky.

My wife and I travelled with another couple and we also did Romeinlimo.

It was probably the best tour of our trip. The driver was great. Very informative and willing to take us where ever we wanted. He kept us on schedule without seeming to do so.

They (romeinlimo) also arranged for a Vatican guide (for additional cost). She was great and gave us a real feel for Rome (she is a student studying languages to be a translator).

I recommend them strongly.

The other stops on the trip we either stuck out on our own or did the cruise excursion (not a great option for you).

I hope you have a great time. I'm sure it will be a trip your family will talk about for years.

We too used Romeinlimo-I had done the research ahead of time and knew just what I wanted. This company is wonderful-we used them for two tours Rome and the Amalfi Coast--they are very professional and knowlegeable-and got us around so easily. We also had a lot of fun.We stopped for lunch both times at fun inexpensive local restaurants. We had plenty of time without feeling rushed. The tour company was easy to work with. The coordiater Jany is quick to reply and is very good at answering all your questions.

We are planning a return next year in 2010 and will definately be using the same company again. After our experience with Romeinlimo I have no need to look any further at additional tour companies as we were so completely satisfied. We hired two tour guides one for Rome and the other for Pompeii-excellent guides and so interesting and fun to be with.

Mauimary:)

Hi Julie: I used RomeinLimo for my group of 16 women for Florence/Pisa and Rome in Nov. 08. We had two minivans waiting for us when we got off the ship. Each van will seat 8 comfortably. Our tour was eight hours each day. I can say without hesitation or reservation that RomeinLimo was the best. The drivers were patient, accommodating and were informative. I would suggest, however, that you give some consideration to taking the 14 month old to Rome. It is a long ride (approx. 1hr) to town. After seeing all the sites and walking around, we were wiped out. I have pictures of everyone sleep in the van on the way back to the ship. They made our trip to Italy memorable. The icing on the cake was when one of the ladies in my group realized that she left her digital camera in the van after we get back on the ship. She called the company and the camera was waiting for her when she returned to New York. Now that's what I call customer service.

Juanita

We used RomeinLimo last fall in Rome and Florence. They were absolutely wonderful. The drivers were very friendly and well informed. They were always very prompt and were waiting for us as we disembarked. The cars were clean and they went out of their way to customize our tours for us and get whatever we needed. They have special permits that allow them to park right near the places of interest instead of blocks away like the tour buses. We were in Pisa before the big tour groups got there and they made reservations for us to see the statue of David in Florence, we didn't have to stand in any lines. Definately the way to go.

We used Rome in Limo (Duman and Jany are the absolute best) back in October while sailing on Brilliance of the Seas. We were a family of 6 for a tour we did in Tuscany......our driver and guide was excellent. We were a family of 10 for our other two tours with Rome in Limo, one in Rome (2 vans) and the other along the Amalfi coast (also 2 vans). All of the drivers and guides were WONDERFUL. Rome in Limo made our days in those ports some of the most memorable parts of our cruise. Our entire family would recommend them to anyone!

Enjoy your cruise and I would most definitely contact Rome in Limo for your tours. If you would like to speak to us directly, feel free to contact me and I'll forward my email.

Here's another vote for Revelation Tours for your port stop in Nice. And if you can get the owner, Michel, as your guide, you will double the pleasure! Our tour with him was, by far, my favorite private tour I've done at any port, bar none. He was the most incredible guide, with an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the region, and of France in general - and he tied every stop into history so you knew the significance of what you were seeing. I came away feeling embarrassed about how little history I know of my own country and state! He was also the most well-organized tour op I've worked with.

We used a different private guide in Provence, but I'm drawing a blank on her name...I'll have to go back and look at my notes. She was great (although not as fab as Michel...but then, no one is!) and her tours were less expensive than some of the other companies in the area. I'll try to dig her name out.

Both of those port stops are places where you will benefit the most from a private guide, as opposed to trying to do them on your own. There's a lot to see, but much of it is pretty far-flung and requires a driver who knows the area, the short-cuts, the routes to avoid etc.

• 4 weeks later...

We booked Driver in Rome for Florence/Pisa! They have been tremendous to work with and very nice. I'm looking forward to it. This is the only day on our cruise where we plan to be out for 8-9 hours, so I'm glad we have a private van for just our crazy family.

We're still thinking about the other ports, but appreciate those tips too. Thanks!

Archived