Need some encouragment!

jessica3306

Okay my husband is coming home next month from Iraq, from a 13 month deployment. We planned on going on a cruise when he came home just the two of us, but wit him being gone already and not having family here we just figured it would be easier to take them and enjoy it as a family. There will be some things we cant do but we can still have a great time just the 3 of us and actually be a family of 4.

So we are taking our at the time 3 year old and 14 month old. So people keep saying that we should not be taking them it will not be fun, we should of found someone to watch them and so on and so on, and its making me feel bad like we arent going to fully enjoy all this money we have shelled out!

So those that have cruised with little ones our age please tell me its gonna be ok!

Thanks!

Okay my husband is coming home next month from Iraq, from a 13 month deployment. We planned on going on a cruise when he came home just the two of us, but wit him being gone already and not having family here we just figured it would be easier to take them and enjoy it as a family. There will be some things we cant do but we can still have a great time just the 3 of us and actually be a family of 4.

So we are taking our at the time 3 year old and 14 month old. So people keep saying that we should not be taking them it will not be fun, we should of found someone to watch them and so on and so on, and its making me feel bad like we arent going to fully enjoy all this money we have shelled out!

So those that have cruised with little ones our age please tell me its gonna be ok!

Thanks!

Everyone's circumstances and attitudes are different, but I suspect that this will be one of the most wonderful experiences you and your husband can have as a homecoming and an opportunity for him to reinforce his bond with your two kids. After all, they will sense that something momentous is about to occur when their dad comes home so leaving them home will suggest that he took mommy away from us as compared with what you will experience when you see their emotions with dad. And best of all you can enjoy the cruise without worrying about everyday problems at home.

Jessica, the opportunity for you and your family to welcome dad home this way after his tour of duty is a once in a lifetime experience that you will never, ever regret and will remember for the rest of your life. And when the folks on board learn about your family, especially your husband's service and your sacrifice, you'll be amazed at the amount of positive reaction you both will receive.

Go for it, and have a cruise of a lifetime.

I am just tired of people saying you shouldnt be taking the kids! Its my trip my family and its what we want to do!

They're just jealous. ;)

You will have a wonderful time. Your husband will love the time he got to spend with his family. The kids (more so the 3 year old) will remember the special time she spent with her daddy on her 3rd bday.

So why do they think you should leave your 3 year old on her birthday? :(

Hi there,

There are times when mom and dad need to be alone and times where a family trip is in order. Considering your circumstances, I would vote for the family trip since your hubby has been away. This trip will allow for some excellent "reconnect" time, since young children can forget during long absences.

That being said, I remember planning a trip to Hawaii when my oldest son was 14 months old. I was all set to take him, but family and friends made me see how the trip would be a very different (and more stressful) trip with a 14 month old in tow who did not like to be picked up and whose first language was NO. At the time, we had an awesome sitter who was really a 3rd granny to him. He was fine and we had an awesome time.

This year I feel strongly that our boys (3 and 5) need to go with us. Did I mention that we went to Mexico without them last year? I am feeling like such a bad mommy right about now! Just kidding...hubby and I needed mommy and daddy time.

Bottom line, what does your instinct tell you to do? Follow that. You will have folks who say leave them and those who look down on you if you leave them.

Hugs,

Chelle

I absolutely think that you should take the kids! After your husband's long absence your family will need some time to reconnect as a family. However, I can understand that you and your husband would also want some alone time. My suggestion is to take the kids but, given the age of your youngest, I would look for a line that extends their kids camp to 1 year olds. I think that at least some cruise lines will allow you to take a toddler in if the parent stays, but I am not sure which, if any lines allow you to drop off a child that young. Alternative, there are lines that do have in cabin child sitting (for a fee). I would check into that to see if that might be an option to give you and your DH one or two nights to go out once the kids are down for the night. Unfortunately, I cannot help with either of these, but I am sure that there are others who would be able to give you recommendations.

We are all proud of what your husband has done for us, and you all enjoy a very memorable vacation!

Of course, a family vacation will be different from a "romantic getaway", but that's the way it is! Both will be fun, and the memories.....need I say more? Make sure you pick a ship that allows diapered kids in the pool..not all do!

Don't let anyone else tell you what to do. When I went to Europe this past year I took my son all by myself and we traveled all over by ship, plane and train and I had the time of my life. Kids are much more fun than most adults. They get a kick out of everything. They love shopping in the airport, are awed when you pull up to the ship. Its great.

There will be challenges with the toddler but I am sure your husband willl enjoy having this quality time with his kids. And I salute him.

I think it is funny that people think traveling on a cruise ship with an toddler would be hard. It was acutally easier than being at home for us. I didn't have to do meal planning, no dishes, no clean up (other than tidying our small cabin) and best of all they had babysitting on the ship. So yes, we got our alone time.

On our last cruise I think our kids had more fun than us. They are treated like stars by the staff and have a great time in the Kids area. What is not to love about cruising as a family unit!

Jessica your family will have a wonderful time and thanks for all your sacrifice and service.

OMG!!!! Take the kids!!! Your 14 month old hasn't seen Daddy since he/she was a month old for goodness sakes!!! We have cruised with our 2 kids (now 5 and 10) ever since our youngest was 2. We wouldn't have it any other way.

My co-worker's DH is in Iraq right now. He's due home in about 2 more months. And, her 2 DD's are going absolutely nuts without Daddy. They are planning a cruise, as well. It's such a great way to re-connect. No distractions (work, laundry, dishes, cooking, etc.). If you can swing it financially, get a 2-room suite so when the kids go to bed you two can have a nice, quiet dinner in your cabin. Plus, you can always take a quick weekend cruise just the two of you later. Right now, the entire family is under stress. Why not relieve that stress together?

Also, please send my deep heart-felt thanks and gratitude to your husband for defending this country and protecting our freedom. God bless him, you, and your two little ones!

Thank you guys! I know that the kids will enjoy it! My daughter who will be turning 3 on the ship is so excited! I am just tired of people saying you shouldnt be taking the kids! Its my trip my family and its what we want to do!

Sounds like you have a bunch of folks here who agree totally with you.

Please let us know how well it went and let me add a request that you thank your hero husband for his sacrifice and efforts for us all...and as for you, please accept our thanks for providing him with the moral support he needed.

Thanks for giving us all a chance to give you our support and encouragement.

Have a great, joyous and fulfilling cruise. You both earned it and the bonding experience will serve all four of you very well for the rest of your lives.

Thanks guys! I will forsure tell him! We are leaving march 2nd on carnival. Out of Galveston for 5 days. My daughter who is gonna be 3 is super excited! I cant wait! I think we will have a blast and it will be fun to be away from everything for 5 days!

I think all of us here have heard the whys and the warnings about bringing kids on a cruise - usually from those who haven't done it themselves. A cruise sounds like the perfect way for you all to enjoy some well-deserved quality time together.

You and your family have all my gratitude and best wishes,

Mia

I think it is great that you are taking them. There is plenty of time for romantic getaways later! My parents were always on the receiving end of advice about not bringing me with them when they went away. I am so glad they didn't listen because our vacations are some of my most treasured memories as a kid. Actually I turned 3 on a cruise and I still remember bits and pieces of it.

I haven't cruised with kids at that age, but for you, your brave husband, and your children will all enjoy the cruise. Believe hubby will just love being with you and your children. It will be great for the memories, and time to enjoy those little ones for the grow up in a blink of an eye. Wishing mine were at that age again, mine will soon be 13 and 15. :eek:

Enjoy the cruise and hubby being home.

I say go for it. You need to do what you feel is right and don't listen to anyone else. They aren't in your shoes. We just got back from a 10-night cruise with our 7-month old twins. I was terrified it was going to be a disaster and it ended up being a blast. They did better than I did. They were better behaved on the ship than at home. I think they loved all the action going on. We weren't stuck in the house all day in the cold. We had my parents for help, but we would have been able to do it by ourselves if we had to. I agree that not cooking or cleaning made the vacation. You'll have some great memories.

Archived