cosmetics give away

sparkly

Sorry I am so late with this,but if you are going to be out tonight run into Macy's as well as other stores for a free cosmetic. Chanel, Clarins etc. This is the settlement of a class action suit in the works for years. Only today,January20. I chose a Coco by Chanel body lotion...full size!:)

It's not only today, it's for this week, "while supplies last".

While it's nice to get a freebie, note that 2008 has been the worst retail year in 40 years.

So, go get the free product, but buy something too. :) Keep stores from letting salespeople go, or worse, going out of business!

By 6pm last night all department stores in our area were down to a choice of Clinique moisture surge day cream (1 oz) or Estee Lauder night repair (.5 oz). We just missed mascara by about thirty people in line in front of us. Both of these itms are gift with purchase type items. There are lines, but they move pretty quickly.

Jane,

I certainly support all working people! Heck, I am (thankfully) one of them. However, it is not the people at the cosmetics counters who were responsible for price fixing. The corporations involved are probably getting off pretty easily. I have read your posts and realize that beauty is your business. My question to you is in these economic times what are real values? I am thinking that $200 bottles of potions are not at the top of most folks grocery lists right now. Perhaps the overly inflated prices need to come more into line with reality and people may line up to buy just eadslike they have lined up this week for free stuff. I can afford most anything I want but the thrifty in me makes herself known on every shopping trip!

By the way I do so enjoy your posts. NYC seems like a foreign land to me, stuck in a classroom pouring daily living skills into special needs kids heads and hoping a bit of it sticks!

Jane,

I certainly support all working people! Heck, I am (thankfully) one of them. However, it is not the people at the cosmetics counters who were responsible for price fixing.

Right - had nothing to do w/ salespeople. I'm just saying if ya' have money, go shop, and keep stores open and people employed! :)

The corporations involved are probably getting off pretty easily. I have read your posts and realize that beauty is your business.

Yes and no. I don't work for a cosmetic company. I'm an editor and writer, and so I write about it. Therefore I have no personal interest in defending any corporation or product.

I write mostly about skin care and fragrance - not so much about makeup.

My question to you is in these economic times what are real values? I am thinking that $200 bottles of potions are not at the top of most folks grocery lists right now.

Most bottles of potions are not $200., but what are "real values" is such an individual question that could have thousands of answers. However, if someone who had a $1500. Botox injection 3 times a year could switch to two injections a year + 1 jar of a highly potent peptide cream to keep the Botox rsults longer, they'd view it as saving $1300. a year. I'm not saying this is true for everyone, just stating one example.

The truth is, in bad economic times, the beauty industry usually doesn't get hurt quite as much as the clothing companies, or restaurants. And lipstick sales actually increase in a bad economy - the theory being that a woman may not be able to afford a new dress, but a new lipstick is a real pick-me-up.

Perhaps the overly inflated prices need to come more into line with reality

If you're speaking about cosmetics, I don't think you're going to see any prices coming down. However, I think you will see more value added on to purchases. For example, the GWP (gift w/ purchase) always creates sales, as well as puts new products (ie possible future purchases) into the consumers hands. Also, many of the high end cosmetic companies will offer clients a free facial with the purchase of a particular dollar amount. Erno Laszlo and Euoko (a new line) both are currently offering this in Bergdorf's.

Also, let's not forget about all the new and upcoming organic and fair trade cosmetics coming onto the market. People can't scream for organic products bought from people who are being paid fair prices, and then expect a price decrease. :)

Does this mean I think that all cosmetic prices are fair? No I don't. I think that many are overpriced, but there are plenty that aren't and are still luxury level brands.

and people may line up to buy just eadslike they have lined up this week for free stuff. I can afford most anything I want but the thrifty in me makes herself known on every shopping trip!

Not quite sure of the point of your first sentence.

But personally, I'm "thrifty" too. I always liked high end goods and I've been writing about beauty for only 2 years (was in fashion B4), and so I while I get a lot of stuff now gratis - it's not always what I want. So I still shop like everyone else and take advantage of the GWP's and free "extra's" that are offered.

By the way I do so enjoy your posts. NYC seems like a foreign land to me, stuck in a classroom pouring daily living skills into special needs kids heads and hoping a bit of it sticks!

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy yours as well.

I was born here, so everyplace else seems foreign to me! LOL!

Well, you're doing a wonderful thing for those special kids and I'm certain that your kindess, big heart and your efforts will make a positive impact on their lives forever. :)

sparkly, Thanks for the heads up :)

I worked last night, as soon as I arrived my boss grabbed me and the two of us walked over to Nordstrom and each picked up a jar of Clinique Moisture Surge. It was a nice size, 1 oz., larger than what I expected!

It wasn't at the cosmetic counter though, it was in the men's department. I'm a frequent buyer there, so I don't feel too bad about no purchase last night.

Jane110, do you happen to know what the lawsuit was about? I haven't read anything about it except this giveaway stuff.

I hate to be a tad slow, but can someone please explain how this works? Do you walk up to any counter in a Macy's cosmetics department and ask if they have any giveaway items left that relate to the class action lawsuit? Thanks so much for this heads-up. I shop at Macy's all the time so I won't feel too guilty pursuring this but I'm fuzzy about how to go about it.

I picked up the moisture surge by clinique, but I am a regular clinique user, so it was a great product pick for me. The moisture surge feels great on sunburn on your face. I use the spray too, for sunburn elsewhere. I saw that clinique has a beauty bonus coming up in my area the first week of Feb....cute little white zippered makeup bag with a floral look, clarifying lotion 2, rinse off foaming cleanser, lash doubling mascara-black, and a choice of neutral or berry of different lipstick and fresh bloom allover color.

I hate to be a tad slow, but can someone please explain how this works? Do you walk up to any counter in a Macy's cosmetics department and ask if they have any giveaway items left that relate to the class action lawsuit? Thanks so much for this heads-up. I shop at Macy's all the time so I won't feel too guilty pursuring this but I'm fuzzy about how to go about it.

Read the settlement and see if you qualify, though I am guessing there are those who don't, who are participating:

http://www.cosmeticssettlement.com/

Jane110, do you happen to know what the lawsuit was about? I haven't read anything about it except this giveaway stuff.

Had to do with price fixing by the cosmetic companies a few years ago. I remember hearing about it years ago when it started, but never heard any updates til now.

Personally, I don't think they did the settlement in the right way. My guess is that half the people getting the free stuff never bought the products in the first place; and that many people who do buy the products wouldn't bother standing in line for a freebie.

Personally, the only person I know who actually did it, works across the street from Macy's, went it on Monday at about 10:30 before most knew about it and got her product without any fanfare. By the end of the day, the blogs were buzzing and everyone I spoke to said they couldn't be bothered to wait on line for it.

Personally, I think they should have sent a coupon to everyone in the lawsuit to go into a store to exchange for product. But, they didn't ask my opinion! :D

We must have gotten very lucky last night, we walked into Nordstrom and asked a person at the closest cosmetic counter. She very nicely directed us to the table set up and there was no line at all.

Another mall employee told us the line at Macys was out the door!

I actually had signed up in the class action lawsuit years ago and had received occasional emails regarding the suit. It was kind of entertaining to wonder how much money the attorneys were going to receive. It must have been a cash cow as it dragged on seemingly forever.

Jane...LOL on that nonsense sentence of mine a few posts up. I don't know what I was talking about either. Sheesh.

I was drafted today at work to accompany our school nurse to the mall (some days are way better than others)with 3 special needs kids to get them eyeglasses. I ran into Younkers and received a full size Estee Lauder Night Repair Serum. Ran back to the eyeglass shop and sent Nurse to Younkers. I felt kind of like a cheap double dipper so I gave mine to one of the kids to bring home to his Mom. Nurse was thrilled! And the kids looked fly in their new glasses. All the way back to school they read signs they had never noticed before. Poor dears.

It was hard not to cruise my usual shops at the mall. Who knew malls have a Gamers Store? Never saw it before! Not even sure what they were selling... Then there was the Men's Magazine section at B&N and 14 year old boys. A fun day for sure!

Thanks for the info 6rugrats. I don't qualify which is no problem, but how nice for those who do.

I qualified but there was nothing that I wanted; let those who would use it get it. I went through our mall today and noticed bigs signs up in Macys and Nordstroms that they were all out of their freebies.

I actually had signed up in the class action lawsuit years ago and had received occasional emails regarding the suit. It was kind of entertaining to wonder how much money the attorneys were going to receive. It must have been a cash cow as it dragged on seemingly forever.

Jane...LOL on that nonsense sentence of mine a few posts up. I don't know what I was talking about either. Sheesh.

In ANY lawsuit, it's always the attorney's who are the biggest winners. :(

Personally, I don't think they did the settlement in the right way. My guess is that half the people getting the free stuff never bought the products in the first place; and that many people who do buy the products wouldn't bother standing in line for a freebie.

Personally, I think they should have sent a coupon to everyone in the lawsuit to go into a store to exchange for product. But, they didn't ask my opinion! :D

They didn't ask me either, but you're right! A coupon to everyone who signed on to the lawsuit would have been more fair. I knew it would be a zoo at our local Macy's so I didn't bother going. The news showed long lines of people, and many of them said they were running from store to store for the freebies.

In ANY lawsuit, it's always the attorney's who are the biggest winners. :(

Isn't that the truth!

They didn't ask me either, but you're right! A coupon to everyone who signed on to the lawsuit would have been more fair. I knew it would be a zoo at our local Macy's so I didn't bother going. The news showed long lines of people, and many of them said they were running from store to store for the freebies.

This would have been a lot more fair to all. I definitely would have qualified but I can't for the life of me remember if I signed up for any class action suit for this. I know I have signed lawsuits several times for things we qualify for but I don't keep track.

I cannot imagine waiting in line and running from store to store for anything.

Archived