Trivia Stories

karatemom2

My DH and I love to play trivia on Princess. It is one of the activities we really look forward to each cruise. Now we are pretty competetive, but even though it's fun to win, what we really enjoy is all the great friends we have met playing trivia.

I have to say that on our most recent cruise, it was pretty amazing to see how seriously some people take this. Especially when you consider the prize is generally a Princess luggage tag. We already have more than we could ever use. I usually give them away. You'd think we were playing for a free cruise! I couldn't believe how some would argue and complain. I actually felt bad for the Princess entertainment staff conducting the sessions because they got so much grief! They themselves had to remind people over and over that "It's all for fun folks!" I also actually witnessed two passengers from opposing teams get into a verbal altercation over the interpretation of an answer. Their teammates actually had to intervene to calm the situation.

But the really funny thing was that the team that won the most happened to have a frequent Princess passenger who has compiled a notebook that she carries with her to Trivia with questions and answers recorded from her other cruises. Since they often ask the same questions, she has a ready made reference!

What are some of the amazing things you have witnessed at Trivia?? I thought it would be fun to compare stories.

Best story wins a Princess luggage tag!!

One person complained so long and loudly that they changed the answer and that person's team won. That person CONTINUED complaining after the prizes were awarded. As we were leaving the lounge, the complaining continued. At the next trivia, that person started in before most of the players had arrived. We were unfortunate enough to be early. We got up and left and decided our trivia was over for that cruise.:( Bon Voyage!

I love to play lots of the games onboard. I love trivia and have made numerous friends during all my travels.

One time my sister, nephew and I were playing pictionary in a group setting. We lost the first three rounds and then we won the next 8 rounds in a row. Then we were asked by the staff to leave. Can you believe it? I know they thought we were cheating, but we were not. We just play pictionary a lot at home and we think alike so it's easier for us to play together than with strangers. They gave us a prize and told us to leave. I couldn't believe it. We were not be obnixous or anything. That took the cake for me.

the worst part is that they need a new source of questions--something more up to date--something that does not ask obscure english questions when 98% of the players are american and a source where the answers are correct.

I have played recently where the answers were wrong--and the young staff had no idea about any of the knowledge of the questions. some of the questions were unknowable. "what football team did alex.....support?"

the questions are often of culture of 50 yrs ago. the questions are almost never of modern culture, science or something that happened in the last 20 years.

the fact that they repeat so many of the quizzes points up to another area of concern. so do you know what a "palmain is" how obscure is that???

I enjoy it but it all needs rethinking.

We've never tried to get the answer changed, but we got the question changed once. We were on an NCL ship where the Assistant Cruise Director was asking the questions, and she said "What's the captain's name? No, just kidding..." and everyone in my group said said "no, wait, we know that answer", so she let it stand. I can't remember his name now, but it was of course a very Norwegian sounding name, unusual to American ears.

I have played recently where the answers were wrong--and the young staff had no idea about any of the knowledge of the questions. some of the questions were unknowable. "what football team did alex.....support?"

Manchester United? :)

well--that was my guess and it was the best guess of all 7 teams!!!

the answer was west ham united!!! I guessed it was soccer, and not american football. same cruise--they asked us what three initials stood for--stood for an uk modern music magazine no one had ever heard of!!

then there was the incorrect answers on the countries that border brazil....

I don't mind losing--I just want the answers to be knowable.

another zinger was name three science fiction uk tv shows of the 1950's...

I was once in one of those competitions where a tie breaker was to show a picture of a US President.

I'm fishing through my wallet and find a $5 bill, but before I do, somebody from the other team runs up and shows the quiz guy a $10 bill. I tell my team to not worry, we have this in the bag.

Wait for it...

Alexander Hamilton, who's on the $10, was never President. So after the other team is done hooting and hollering, I calmly walk over to the quiz guy and show him my $5 bill with Abe Lincoln. They say "Those guys already won". I say "You asked for a picture of a US President, and they did not provide that to you. Hamilton was never President". I actually heard some people from the other team say "YES HE WAS A PRESIDENT!!!".

:rolleyes:

Just curious about something. I went to play Trivia for the first time ever on the Ruby in December. We all had a good time but when we had tallied the scores she told that team congratulations. There were no prizes given at all. Even though I didn't win, I felt like it was just a waste of time. Should I give it a try on the Crown? Do they give prizes?

I have loved playing trivia on Princess cruies! Even though I am very competitive, I do know it is just a game...for a luggage tag...I just want to have fun! I did impress lots of people, including the guy who was running the game, with my knowledge of ALF's real name. Gordon Shumway, in case you were wondering.

Last year I was on the Star from Acapulco to Seattle and my mom and I were playing one game about inventors and the question was who invented the bra, which I had a pretty good idea was Titzlinger (not sure of spelling-I just remembered it from the movie Beaches) so I told my team and wrote it down and this crazy lady on our team was completely convinced I had no idea what I was talking about and she crossed out my answer and wrote Maidenform. Well, it turns out I was correct and she was pissed! She was also very angry because the staff running the game was giving points for both 1st and last names...or sometimes 3 points for 3 named people (Thomas Alva Edison) and she was YELLING at the poor guy! She finally stomped out of the Wheelhouse in a huff because we didn't win due to only putting last names on some answers! She was crazy!

But I love playing and meet lots of fun people at the games!

We have been on a cruise where we played the trivia a couple of times and joined in with another couple and realized we had no business being there. Some of the questions we had no clue and didn't even have a guess. Some of those trivia players were die hard trivia players and would get 90% of the answers correctly. We did like playing the scattegories, pictionary and scavenger hunts and included the family and won a few times. The people that play the other games were more on our caliber of playing levels.

Last year I was on the Star from Acapulco to Seattle and my mom and I were playing one game about inventors and the question was who invented the bra, which I had a pretty good idea was Titzlinger (not sure of spelling-I just remembered it from the movie Beaches) so I told my team and wrote it down and this crazy lady on our team was completely convinced I had no idea what I was talking about and she crossed out my answer and wrote Maidenform. Well, it turns out I was correct and she was pissed!

Unfortunately, "Otto Titzling" is an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/bra.asp

The "foundation" of the Otto Titzling story originated with the satirical 1971 book "Bust Up: The Uplifting Tale of Otto Titzling and the Development of the Bra" by Wallace Reyburn.

The "foundation" of the Otto Titzling story originated with the satirical 1971 book "Bust Up: The Uplifting Tale of Otto Titzling and the Development of the Bra" by Wallace Reyburn.

HA! That is so funny then because the guy in charge of the game said that was the correct answer! I was just amused as to how annoyed the crazy lady got about the whole thing!

Just curious about something. I went to play Trivia for the first time ever on the Ruby in December. We all had a good time but when we had tallied the scores she told that team congratulations. There were no prizes given at all. Even though I didn't win, I felt like it was just a waste of time. Should I give it a try on the Crown? Do they give prizes?

I don't know what you played, but there is always a prize for the winning trivia team. Always. The other games don't always get prizes, but trivia; always.

BTW.........what is a palmain. I can't find a definition anywhere.

So...........here's more bra info.

The first modern brassiere to receive a patent was the one invented in 1913 by a New York socialite named Mary Phelps Jacob

==========================================

In 1889 Herminie Cadolle of France invented the first modern bra, a two-piece undergarment called le bien-être (the wellbeing). The lower part was a corset for the waist, the upper supporting the breasts by means of shoulder straps. By 1905 the upper half was being sold separately as a soutien-gorge (breast support), the name by which bras are still known in France

===============================================

While playing trivia, there was a man next to us who nearly shouted out 'an answer' when each question was asked. I won't say 'the answer' as he was just as often wrong.

He was asked to very politely and several times to "Please, just write your answer." He was unable to control himself. Some very serious players were ready to feed him to the sharks.

A question we had once was to name and spell correctly the name of the hospital where the world's first heart transplant was performed.

A member of our team was from Capetown and grown up about a mile from the hospital. We were the only team to have the answer spelled correctly.

You may feel bad when you do not know the name of a "football" team supported by someone because it is a question few Americans would know, but think how the non-Americans feel when they hear a question such as "what was the first state to ratify the Constitution?"

A question we had once was to name and spell correctly the name of the hospital where the world's first heart transplant was performed.

A member of our team was from Capetown and grown up about a mile from the hospital. We were the only team to have the answer spelled correctly.

You may feel bad when you do not know the name of a "football" team supported by someone because it is a question few Americans would know, but think how the non-Americans feel when they hear a question such as "what was the first state to ratify the Constitution?"

Hey.......I know the answer: GROOTE SCHUUR. I never know football answers, though.

While playing trivia, there was a man next to us who nearly shouted out an answer answer (I won't say 'the answer' as he was just as often wrong) when each question was read.

We have had a team member who would purposely shout out a "wrong" answer in hopes other teams would use it. At least once, the answer he shouted was the correct one which other teams picked up on. However, we thought it was another wrong answer and missed that question.

I don't know what you played, but there is always a prize for the winning trivia team. Always. The other games don't always get prizes, but trivia; always.

Always minus one then, she stated at the end that there were no prizes. There was some grumbling among those playing, especially the team that won, but nobody made a scene. I thought it was strange that they did not give out anything at all.

I always play as a team of 1 and usually do okay... I've won my share of luggage tags and hats. It's not that I'm anti-social, but I hate being a "know-it-all" (I went to marriage counseling many years ago... one of my wife's beefs was that I was always correcting her... I learned to curb that impulse :rolleyes:).

While playing trivia, there was a man next to us who nearly shouted out 'an answer' when each question was asked. I won't say 'the answer' as he was just as often wrong.

He was asked to very politely and several times to "Please, just write your answer." He was unable to control himself. Some very serious players were ready to feed him to the sharks.

Once on an RCCL cruise we were participating in a rock music trivia where they were playing a part of the song and you had to write down the name and artist. A guy at the bar who was completely drunk and obnoxious kept shouting out answers. People were getting really furious. They finally paused and called Security who came and had a little chat with the gentleman. I don't know what was said, but he didn't shout out any more answers and left shortly thereafter to the cheers of a riotous mob of trivia players. He was messing with the wrong group for sure!!

Archived