Trivia Stories

karatemom2

I don't know what you played, but there is always a prize for the winning trivia team. Always. The other games don't always get prizes, but trivia; always.

BTW.........what is a palmain. I can't find a definition anywhere.

Uh oh Pia.

We didn't play trivia on our recent Pacific Princess trip but we watched many sessions. The only time they gave out a prize was for the winners of progressive trivia at the end of the trip.

Hopefully they will replenish their stock of Princess swag before you board.

Kathi & Leo

I'm a trivia fanatic on cruises. My wife goes along but isn't pleased on Princess where trivia is done at least twice a day. Anyway, we have lots of barely useful stuff that originated from trivia games. The longer the cruise the more competitive the trivia teams from my experience. It's always a good idea to try and have British, Canadian, and American representatives on a team to try and cover questions specific to each nationality. It also helps to check potential team members by the number of cruises they have been on.

The strangest team in my experience was one that wouldn't speak for fear that their answers would be overheard. Everything was written on scratch paper and code words were spoken to indicate the certainty of ones answers. That was even too serious for me!

A question we had once was to name and spell correctly the name of the hospital where the world's first heart transplant was performed.

A member of our team was from Capetown and grown up about a mile from the hospital. We were the only team to have the answer spelled correctly.

You may feel bad when you do not know the name of a "football" team supported by someone because it is a question few Americans would know, but think how the non-Americans feel when they hear a question such as "what was the first state to ratify the Constitution?"

Delaware?

On my last cruise, my team won at Scene It, but we didn't get a prize. At another trivia competition that day, my team tied for first in TV theme song trivia (I was the only one in the entire room who knew the theme from "Third Watch" -- I guess most people never heard of that show). But we lost the tiebreaker.

I do have a Carnival ship on a stick trophy for winning TV theme song trivia on my first cruise (my hubby -- then bf -- and I had a team, but he barely knew any of the songs). Many people didn't know the bonus song: the Love Boat theme.:rolleyes:

Uh oh Pia.

We didn't play trivia on our recent Pacific Princess trip but we watched many sessions. The only time they gave out a prize was for the winners of progressive trivia at the end of the trip.

Hopefully they will replenish their stock of Princess swag before you board.

Kathi & Leo

We had progressive trivia on our 18 Crown TA in September, but this was in addition to the regular morning and afternoon trivias each day. When we were last on the Pacific they did the usual morning and afternoon trivia. I guess it's "wait and see" for March/Aoril. We have some serious trivia people gettiing on board. :D

We had progressive trivia on our 18 Crown TA in September, but this was in addition to the regular morning and afternoon trivias each day. When we were last on the Pacific they did the usual morning and afternoon trivia. I guess it's "wait and see" for March/Aoril. We have some serious trivia people gettiing on board. :D

Pia,

There will be no prizes on the Pacific on March 27th. I will have won them all over the prior 4 weeks. :)

We stopped playing Trivia after several of the hosts gave the 'wrong" answer as correct. Now they clearly state that the host's answer is the definate one, even if it's wrong !!

I think the trivia host has to use his/her answer as the correct one. Otherwise, there will be fights over which answer is correct. When I find an incorrect answer, I print the proof in the internet cafe and give it to the host the next time I see them.

We stopped playing Trivia after several of the hosts gave the 'wrong" answer as correct. Now they clearly state that the host's answer is the definate one, even if it's wrong !!

This is annoying. On our last trip, one of the questions was "which state has more cows than people". Their "answer" was Wisconsin. That may technically be one correct answer, but another is Wyoming. They did not give us credit for it, which sent me into a furious rage and I stuffed the quiz master into a garbage can.

ok, no, I didn't do that, but I was kind of annoyed.

I think the trivia host has to use his/her answer as the correct one. Otherwise, there will be fights over which answer is correct. When I find an incorrect answer, I print the proof in the internet cafe and give it to the host the next time I see them.

And then they continue using their original answer anyway. Do you guys remember Domenico Modugno; "Volare"? There's a quiz on HAL, famous people anagrams, so spelling does count. I haven't been on HAL for years, but in three cruises, several years apart, same quiz. They decided that his name is MODUNGO and even with proof, they never changed it. I'd bet to this day it's still going to be Modungo.

My wife and I are die-hard trivia buffs while Cruising, often to the chagrin of our daughter and her friend.

Without a doubt the most competitive trivia we have ever witnessed was aboard the Sun Princess in the MEd. Lots of Brits, and they take trivia VERY seriously, making one of teh cruise staff cry after a horde of angry players went to the library to challenge an answer. Give me a break, the girl could only go by her answer sheet (she's not exactly Alex Trebek) and she was nearly keel-hauled.

All this for a cherished Princess luggage tag!

It IS a great way to meet fellow cruisers, and we now have some life long friends for the experience.

We were on one of our first cruises (Sun Princess) and there was lady that interviewed you as you passed by her chair. She would ask you different questions and if you didn't know the answer, she waived you through. Once she "picked" a guy to be the 6th person (her regular team mate hadn't shown up by start time) but when the regular did show up, she told the new guy that was all - she didn't need him anymore and he could now leave. This team played cut throat Trivia and everyone else started silently rooting for them to lose.

We were on one of our first cruises (Sun Princess) and there was lady that interviewed you as you passed by her chair. She would ask you different questions and if you didn't know the answer, she waived you through. Once she "picked" a guy to be the 6th person (her regular team mate hadn't shown up by start time) but when the regular did show up, she told the new guy that was all - she didn't need him anymore and he could now leave. This team played cut throat Trivia and everyone else started silently rooting for them to lose.

So did they lose? Let's hope so...

Sounds like the lady who sez "You ARE the weakest link!" :D

So did they lose? Let's hope so...

Sounds like the lady who sez "You ARE the weakest link!" :D

No they won a fair amount of games. Toward the end of the cruise we were cheering when they lost.:D My team had 4 of her rejects. We did win once so did pretty good for rejects.:p

On the Coral last September, my DH and I played almost all the trivia games as we usually do. From the first day onward, we had a nice group of people that we played with everyday.

One of these team members, an elderly lady, would order a double scotch first thing in the morning, sit down and the game would start. By about question #3, she'd add in her own little stash of alcohol into her glass. (She had a handy little squirt bottle full of scotch that she'd pull out of her purse.)

By question #17 or so, she'd order another double scotch. And yes, once again, she'd add in more of her own stash.

Some days we were worried she'd fall out of her seat and on other days, she'd slur her words so badly, we couldn't understand WHAT she was saying!! :D :D

We were on the Golden Princess once and there was a couple that had been on the ship for months and were going to be on it months more.

They played by themselves. Because they had heard almost (if not all) of the questions before, they won almost every time.

I was unable to convince the cruise director to have his staff use new questions, but a couple of times I was able give the person conducting the quiz a Trivial Persuit set from the library and thus new questions were asked. This couple did not win any time there were new questions.

But for all the times they were going to be on the ship, they must have needed a suitcase just to hold all the luggage tags.

They also had a favored spot to sit and were visibly upset if another team had occupied that spot before they arrived.

We were on the Golden Princess once and there was a couple that had been on the ship for months and were going to be on it months more.

They played by themselves. Because they had heard almost (if not all) of the questions before, they won almost every time.

I was unable to convince the cruise director to have his staff use new questions, but a couple of times I was able give the person conducting the quiz a Trivial Persuit set from the library and thus new questions were asked. This couple did not win any time there were new questions.

But for all the times they were going to be on the ship, they must have needed a suitcase just to hold all the luggage tags.

They also had a favored spot to sit and were visibly upset if another team had occupied that spot before they arrived.

You would hope that the crew members would just humor them, give them a tag, and then let everyone else play without them.

When I was in high school, a student vs. teacher version of Hollywood Squares was planned by the student government (I was a student body officer). I helped out by writing the questions, which I got from a Jeopardy board game (this was before the Internet and before Trivia Pursuit).

Archived