Cutbacks in Elite Service?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

OK I guess this thread will have a little life for a bit more. Of the two types of cleaning, dry would be the one of least importance to us. However, it would be nice to have DH's formal suit cleaned and ready for the next cruise. But certainly not a deal breaker. If anyone finds out FOR SURE if the Emerald will not be offering dry cleaning, please post. Also DH does not know about the CB, but when we were on board a couple months ago, he said he saw them taking the officers' uniforms off the ship - presumably to be cleaned. But that does NOT mean there's no drying cleaning on the CB I hasten to add:rolleyes:. Denise

OK I guess this thread will have a little life for a bit more. Of the two types of cleaning, dry would be the one of least importance to us. However, it would be nice to have DH's formal suit cleaned and ready for the next cruise. But certainly not a deal breaker. If anyone finds out FOR SURE if the Emerald will not be offering dry cleaning, please post. Also DH does not know about the CB, but when we were on board a couple months ago, he said he saw them taking the officers' uniforms off the ship - presumably to be cleaned. But that does NOT mean there's no drying cleaning on the CB I hasten to add:rolleyes:. Denise

All I can say is from what I'm reading about dry cleaning & regular laundry service.

Cool Cruiser

Friday morning, not yet arrived in Barbados-

Sorry, didn't get on internet at all yesterday (Antigua). Dad is doing a bit better, and the weather where my parents live has improved, so I'm stressing a bit less, sleeping a bit more. Live is good.

First, your questions (I'll try to answer them all):

No dry cleaning for passenger use, period. No explanation given either. It's simply not an option on the laundry form.

Sissy, did not specifically see E721. Sorry. I could maybe peek at the end of this cruise. Our flight isn't until 1 something.

As for AD...we know several couples who have standing reservations, but we've not tried it. We like AD because it IS anytime, and we've dined early, late and in between with no wait at all. We've found that if there is a bit of a line on Deck 6 at the Da Vinci, we go down to Deck 5 at the Michelangelo and there is never a line there. We love the flexibility. However, a table for 4 at 6pm...I can't imagine you'll ever have an issue.

Those photos accurately show the back of this ship. Unlike TWO hot tubs up there on Deck 17 as on the Diamond and Sapphire, there is just one (starboard side) and the "teen" splash pool (still no teens in it, so I use it to cool off between hot tub times). No kiddie pool outside on this ship that I've seen. I haven't been everywhere, but I've been most places, and certainly have been on all the levels on the aft part of the ship that is 19 decks high. So, sorry about that. I think that toddlers do get shortchanged a bit on cruise ships, pool wise, especially since they're paying passengers.

More later, our group is ready for breakfast."

Perhaps they'll give us more info shortly.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=903225&page=10

:rolleyes:Dry Cleaning was alive and well on the Grand Princess last week, I can verify that.

I do know there have been some ships recently that's dry cleaning availability has been down for a few days to a week, and that alone starts the rumor mill flying.

I sent in laundry one morning with expedited service that took over three days to be returned, but that didn't make me wonder if the perks were no longer available for same day service. :confused:

One post, from one passenger that we do not know anything about will not convince me there is a change in the Elite perks. If this was so, the posts would be flying off the board from others that experienced the same issue. To see any change in Elite perks, I would have to either experience myself (which I did and it was readily available) or read from several more than one passenger that this is being deleted from the Elite Perks throughout the fleet.

OK that was probably a bit longer cut and paste than we needed for purposes of the subject matter here - I presume that the poster is on the Emerald and there is no dry cleaning period. But that does not necessarily mean there will NEVER be dry cleaning offered. It could have something to do with the chemicals needed for the process. If someone is actually on board right now and can ask the pertinent questions, that would be helpful.

:rolleyes:Dry Cleaning was alive and well on the Grand Princess last week, I can verify that.

I do know there have been some ships recently that's dry cleaning availability has been down for a few days to a week, and that alone starts the rumor mill flying.

I sent in laundry one morning with expedited service that took over three days to be returned, but that didn't make me wonder if the perks were no longer available for same day service. :confused:

One post, from one passenger that we do not know anything about will not convince me there is a change in the Elite perks. If this was so, the posts would be flying off the board from others that experienced the same issue. To see any change in Elite perks, I would have to either experience myself (which I did and it was readily available) or read from several more than one passenger that this is being deleted from the Elite Perks throughout the fleet.

Thanks ToTo - your observations and posts are usually correct and not subject to interpretation.

Ron

I think these rumors began when the old Renaissance ships came into the fleet. Since they do not have dry cleaning facilities onboard most, if not all of them, the rumors began to fly that Princess was 'cutting back' on perks.

Kind of hard to supply dry cleaning on a ship that doesn't offer it.:eek: But here on CC, that seems to be all it takes to start the rumors flying. :D

I do believe the Emerald Princess had dry cleaning at one time. (correct me if I'm mistaken) but as of yesterday they no longer offer it.

OK that was probably a bit longer cut and paste than we needed for purposes of the subject matter here - I presume that the poster is on the Emerald and there is no dry cleaning period. But that does not necessarily mean there will NEVER be dry cleaning offered. It could have something to do with the chemicals needed for the process. If someone is actually on board right now and can ask the pertinent questions, that would be helpful.

You are right. They might only be shut down for a while until they offer a substitute. PescadoAmarillo said there will be more info to follow.

I do believe the Emerald Princess had dry cleaning at one time. (correct me if I'm mistaken) but as of yesterday they no longer offer it.

We were on the Emerald about a year ago and it was available - did you get some kind of notice from them that it was eliminated as of yesterday?

Just curious - no one else seems to agree and your posts usually are backed up with facts.

Ron

We were on the Emerald about a year ago and it was available - did you get some kind of notice from them that it was eliminated as of yesterday?

Just curious - no one else seems to agree and your posts usually are backed up with facts.

Ron

Post #199. Posted Today, at 08:02 AM

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=903225&page=10

:

I do hope that was a mistake instead of the norm as I always check the box for same day service. If we have to wait 3 days for laundry delivery, it will change the way we pack.

I do hope that was a mistake instead of the norm as I always check the box for same day service. If we have to wait 3 days for laundry delivery, it will change the way we pack.

I sent in laundry several times on our two week cruise, but only once did it take three days to be returned. In fact, I got concerned on the third day and checked with the suite steward to see if he would be bringing it. Now, admitedly he was not the best steward we have ever had, so I wondered if maybe this meant he hadn't bothered to go down and pick it up? Or possibly laundry services were held up for some reason during those days? I honestly never asked. All the other times, it was back as scheduled. ;) So, I don't think you have anything to worry about, I am sure this was just a fluke! :D

I sent in laundry several times on our two week cruise, but only once did it take three days to be returned. In fact, I got concerned on the third day and checked with the suite steward to see if he would be bringing it. Now, admitedly he was not the best steward we have ever had, so I wondered if maybe this meant he hadn't bothered to go down and pick it up? Or possibly laundry services were held up for some reason during those days? I honestly never asked. All the other times, it was back as scheduled. ;) So, I don't think you have anything to worry about, I am sure this was just a fluke! :D

Stuff happens from time to time.

Just to add to the debate, the Emerald had dry cleaning in November.

This was posted by RAYDON:

We just took the Ultimate Ships Tour on the Ruby Princess and saw the new "water dry cleaning machine" They are no longer doing old fashioned dry cleaning on the Ruby since the residual chemicals are difficult, if not impossible to dispose of due to the carcinogen hazards. I asked about the dry cleaning with water a second time and the Director of Laundry services assured us it will not harm clothing and they have had no problems. He had lots of new "toys" in his laundy and was quite sure many of them would be fleet wide soon, particularly the "water dry cleaning machine" I haven't had time to google this new process, but that is most likely what is happening on the Emerald. We will know in April I guess!

I just left the Emerald on 1/19 and had stuff dry cleaned while I was onboard. I met Jeanne on the first leg of her b2b, so I don't know if there was an issue after I left the ship. The did a beautiful job on all of my laundry and dry cleaning. I don't know how the staff would manage without dry cleaning, they always look clean and pressed!

I change my mini bar for things that I use. I note my cruise preferences online and they never pay attention to it, so I ask for what I use. I would never use half of the things that are there.

I didn't go to the wine tasting, but I received one card and it was clearly marked with my name.

I just left the Emerald on 1/19 and had stuff dry cleaned while I was onboard. I met Jeanne on the first leg of her b2b, so I don't know if there was an issue after I left the ship. The did a beautiful job on all of my laundry and dry cleaning. I don't know how the staff would manage without dry cleaning, they always look clean and pressed!

Now I am confused & don't know what's going on. :confused:

I change my mini bar for things that I use. I note my cruise preferences online and they never pay attention to it, so I ask for what I use. I would never use half of the things that are there.

I didn't go to the wine tasting, but I received one card and it was clearly marked with my name.

We didn't get the invitations on the Emerald on Dec 10. Strange..:confused:

Maybe the cabin steward forgot to place them in the cabin. He forgot other things as well. We just went to the wine tasting & showed our card.

Today's posting from PescadoAmarillo at 5 PM. It can't get much clearer.

Post #212

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17834162#post17834162

"The laundry form might be different. I'm filling it out every morning and I'm still not quite sure, but I will take note when I return to the cabin. Definitely no dry cleaning though...we've confirmed this with the CC hostess. As for whether gowns and suits appear on the form...I would be surprised. Hard to clean a suit in a washing machine. But I'm check to be certain. Bottom line...no dry cleaning on the Emerald."

I suspect the system is either down or they are in process of converting to the water/steam process.

Ron

Ok Ron, my money is on what you have theorized as it makes perfectly good sense. Since AliceS got off the Emerald on 1/19 and she had things dry cleaned it appears they have just taken it down. Soooo, since I don't board until 3/10 I'm just not going to worry this issue anymore. Barb

Speaking as someone who actually paid the $25 to attend a wine tasting last summer, I think I can attest to the fact it's NOT worth that amount. I happened to be traveling with a group of 12, most of whom wanted to try it, and it was nice because the group was fun - and the canapes are good. However, whenever it's free you can be sure I'll go and since DH may not want to I'll try to take a friend since it sounds like that is allowed.

Doesn't sound like we have a total consensus on the future of dry cleaning on the Princess ships except the likelihood that they are coming up with some process (i.e. water-based) that is more eco-friendly. I'm sure they wouldn't try something that would end up damaging people's clothes, so for those with suits and tuxedos to get cleaned, it may be available.

I am "new elite" and do have a question about the laundry/dry cleaning. When you send shorts and tops to the laundry - do they press them? I usually send my better capris and sweaters to the dry cleaners so I imagine I would do this also on board - am I correct? Thanks for your help.

Archived