Cutbacks in Elite Service?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

I am "new elite" and do have a question about the laundry/dry cleaning. When you send shorts and tops to the laundry - do they press them? I usually send my better capris and sweaters to the dry cleaners so I imagine I would do this also on board - am I correct? Thanks for your help.

Yes they do and make sure you let them know whether you want starch or not, and how much if you do. ;)

Today's posting from PescadoAmarillo at 5 PM. It can't get much clearer.

Post #212

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17834162#post17834162

"The laundry form might be different. I'm filling it out every morning and I'm still not quite sure, but I will take note when I return to the cabin. Definitely no dry cleaning though...we've confirmed this with the CC hostess. As for whether gowns and suits appear on the form...I would be surprised. Hard to clean a suit in a washing machine. But I'm check to be certain. Bottom line...no dry cleaning on the Emerald."

Actually the real bottom line is that you can get gowns and suits cleaned on the Emerald -- they use a process other than "dry cleaning" to be more environmentaly friendly. We are on the Emerald on a B2B and just spoke with Tracey the CC hostess about the most traveled passenger luncheon and confirmed our understanding of the "no dry cleaning on the Emerald" issue. It is a true statement but it is misleading because you can still get things cleaned -- they just don't use traditional dry cleaning chemicals! And there is no planned change in laundry benefits for Elite at this time...

So enjoy your cruise -- no worries

John

Perhaps I should call "Jeff the laundry guy" back at Santa Clarita and tell them he is wrong, even though he is in charge of all of the fleets laundry sevices. I already told him that people on CC were spreading the rumor that there were no "dry" cleaning services available. He countered by saying they no longer use the Perclor cleaning system but a new eco friendly system which they use even for staff uniforms and show costumes. But - he should probably know that he is wrong.

Ron

Sorry I know this is one of those topics that has been covered but I can't find it easily (what's up with that "search" feature lol?

1. Is Princess thinking about cutting back on the elite perks - like limiting the free laundy. Are some people really bringing dirty laundry onboard knowing they can get it cleaned free?

2. How easy is it to get exactly what you want in your mini bar?

3. If your fellow elite spouse does not want to do the wine tasting, can you take a friend?

Sun City!!! What part? We're in Phase 1 near the South golf course.

#1 - hadn't heard that

#2 - Just ask. We've never had a problem

#3 - Not for free. They have to pay just like anyone else.

I just got off the Crown on the 18th and made good use of most of the elite perks. I have not heard anything about cut backs.

We had room service switch out all the soda and water for Diet Coke, and all the little liquor bottles for cans of beer. No questions asked.

We did take advantage of the dry cleaning service once we got our luggage I sent out a couple shirts, my suit and wife's dress. I got it back by 5pm the next day. Only prob was that they didn't use starch (I indicated that I would like starch used)

I was going to send all of the dirty laundry from the week at the end of the cruise but decided it would be easier to do it at home rather than "count and inventory every single piece" and stuff it into those little bags.

As for the wine tasting, We received a card in our cabin indicating that the wine tasting that was complimentary was the one for $9.95. Not the one later in the week for $24.95. We did not go to the complimentary wine tasting because we were told that only I would get complimentary entry and my wife would have to pay. Since she is not a wine drinker, we passed.

The canapies were barely edible. after getting them on the first formal night, we didn't even bother the second time.

I was going to send all of the dirty laundry from the week at the end of the cruise but decided it would be easier to do it at home rather than "count and inventory every single piece" and stuff it into those little bags.

The canapies were barely edible. after getting them on the first formal night, we didn't even bother the second time.

With all the restrictions on luggage, having the free laundry allows me to take relatively few clothes for us. I do take some dirty stuff home, but use the service extensively during the cruise.

We always get the chocolate covered strawberries. It says you only get four of them, but I don't remember any time we didn't still get six.

Sun City!!! What part? We're in Phase 1 near the South golf course.

We're in Phase II near 103rd & Thunderbird. Did you know there will be a gathering of the AZ Cruisers group in Tempe in March? If you'll send me an email at denise7706 at pacbell dot net, perhaps we can discuss meeting! Thanks Denise & Alan

With all the restrictions on luggage, having the free laundry allows me to take relatively few clothes for us. I do take some dirty stuff home, but use the service extensively during the cruise.

We always get the chocolate covered strawberries. It says you only get four of them, but I don't remember any time we didn't still get six.

Interesting, we have never received more than 4 chocolate covered strawberries when ordering them with our Elite Status or when in a full suite. At least the last few years. All of the rest were a plate full, except the strawberries.

One thing for others to keep in mind is that there is also an assortment plate you can order first to see which you like, which you don't, for the other nights.

There has been some talk about the eliminating of the laundry for Elite. Nothing definite for now but it does appear that something is in the works.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=903225&page=9

Some people use it like a daily laundry service or just "unload" two days from the end of the cruise bec. they don't want to take dirty clothes home... acc. to steward on our last cruise that is really the reason that it "might" get a restriction on it. So typical "a few ruin it for the masses" type thing. Like most people, we use only to get a few things washed mid-cruise.. When I had a ton of stuff from 6 days in Denali last year I just did majority of it in self-serve instead of dumping it all on them.

Some people use it like a daily laundry service or just "unload" two days from the end of the cruise bec. they don't want to take dirty clothes home... acc. to steward on our last cruise that is really the reason that it "might" get a restriction on it. So typical "a few ruin it for the masses" type thing. Like most people, we use only to get a few things washed mid-cruise.. When I had a ton of stuff from 6 days in Denali last year I just did majority of it in self-serve instead of dumping it all on them.

It's really a shame that some abuse the perks so badly that the cruise line ends up limiting them or doing away with them altogether? :( I think I mentioned, I have seen some on our roll calls pack dirty clothes to be dry cleaned and laundered when they get to the ship so they don't have to do it at home. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

First the Internet, because some abused the 'unlimited' access, now the laundry may go the same route as the internet in the future.

I would also guess that carrying on wine and beer as well as other items, such as soda, will be cracked down on soon because of those that think the rules can be stretched and stretched as long as THEY don't get caught, that is all that matters to them. They print off passenger contracts to carry along with them to argue that the amount is not in black and white there, they take excess of everything that is limited, and they see no harm in doing this. Just a prediction. But as long as some continue to abuse the privledge passed along for their status or otherwise, it is destined to happen sooner or later and ruin it for all those that use the perks as designed and intended. :( :(

OK-so here's the question.....

What constitutes abuse?

On a 15 night Panama transit (remember hot and humid) I sent out laundry every 5 days and there was quite a lot for the 2 of us-say half a trash bag each time. This was an honest amount-I didn't take dirty stuff from home nor did I take in neighbors stuff. :eek:

OK-so here's the question.....

What constitutes abuse?

On a 15 night Panama transit (remember hot and humid) I sent out laundry every 5 days and there was quite a lot for the 2 of us-say half a trash bag each time. This was an honest amount-I didn't take dirty stuff from home nor did I take in neighbors stuff. :eek:

Agreed - would someone define abuse - we usually have a two day precruise and will send our laundry about every third day. We just finished a 31 day cruise with a week pre/post cruise. The elite perks are there so why should we not use (not ABuse) them? And - NO - we do not pack dirty clothes from home, often my suit will get wrinkled in the luggage so I do send it out for ironing.

Ron

It's really a shame that some abuse the perks so badly that the cruise line ends up limiting them or doing away with them altogether? :( I think I mentioned, I have seen some on our roll calls pack dirty clothes to be dry cleaned and laundered when they get to the ship so they don't have to do it at home. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

First the Internet, because some abused the 'unlimited' access, now the laundry may go the same route as the internet in the future.

I would also guess that carrying on wine and beer as well as other items, such as soda, will be cracked down on soon because of those that think the rules can be stretched and stretched as long as THEY don't get caught, that is all that matters to them. They print off passenger contracts to carry along with them to argue that the amount is not in black and white there, they take excess of everything that is limited, and they see no harm in doing this. Just a prediction. But as long as some continue to abuse the privledge passed along for their status or otherwise, it is destined to happen sooner or later and ruin it for all those that use the perks as designed and intended. :( :(

Right on Toto: You said it perfectly. Now I am going to become Elite at the end of the year and I sure would not like to see some of the Elite things decreased or eliminated. And i certainly would not bring on the ship a bunch of dirty clothes to have them laundered.:eek:

Marilyn

I'm confused too about what some posters see as constituting abuse. We stay in suites which get free laundry service. We bring clean clothing with us but as we get it dirty we send it out to be laundered. We don't send anyone else's laundry. On our last cruise we were away from home for 3 weeks and it would be impractical to carry that much clothing. Likewise I don't see why if one of the perks I'm allowed is laundry service I should go to the laundromat and do my own. I'm sorry but I don't see that as abuse.

I'm confused too about what some posters see as constituting abuse. We stay in suites which get free laundry service. We bring clean clothing with us but as we get it dirty we send it out to be laundered. We don't send anyone else's laundry. On our last cruise we were away from home for 3 weeks and it would be impractical to carry that much clothing. Likewise I don't see why if one of the perks I'm allowed is laundry service I should go to the laundromat and do my own. I'm sorry but I don't see that as abuse.

I agree with you - As I mentioned we were on a 31 day cruise and used the service about every three days, usually with one or two bags. This is what the perk is for!! Why should I have to go to the laundromat and fight with some of the rather outspoken women there when Princess gives it to me free???? I don't consider this abuse.

Ron

Let's put it this way.

On the Grand last month, we had a PH suite. This was a 14 day cruise, and we had a two night pre-cruise stay. I sent in laundry three times during that 14 days, and the third time the room steward said, and I quote "you have MORE laundry to send in"?, and he rolled his eyes.

I didn't feel three times in two weeks (two paper bags the first time (as they didn't provide the cloth laundry bags we have had in the past for a full suite, just the small paper ones) and one bag the other two times). I didn't feel that was excess, but evidentally the room steward did. :eek:

Let's put it this way.

On the Grand last month, we had a PH suite. This was a 14 day cruise, and we had a two night pre-cruise stay. I sent in laundry three times during that 14 days, and the third time the room steward said, and I quote "you have MORE laundry to send in"?, and he rolled his eyes.

I didn't feel three times in two weeks (two paper bags the first time (as they didn't provide the cloth laundry bags we have had in the past for a full suite, just the small paper ones) and one bag the other two times). I didn't feel that was excess, but evidentally the room steward did. :eek:

was usually

We sent it out every two or three days on our 31 day cruise. The steward would even ask daily if we had any laundry to do - with the exception of one time it came back the same day. I would not consider daily use to be "ABuse". If Princess didn't expect you to use it why would they make it an elite perk?

Ron

There used to be a regular poster here who boasted about filling their suitcases with dirty clothes from home, and getting everything laundered as soon as they boarded the ship.

In my view, that is abuse, and it would be a share if such practices spoiled it for the rest.

There used to be a regular poster here who boasted about filling their suitcases with dirty clothes from home, and getting everything laundered as soon as they boarded the ship.

In my view, that is abuse, and it would be a share if such practices spoiled it for the rest.

\That would be abuse. We don't do that, everything we bring is clean. My suit may need pressing the first day from luggage wrinkling but I don't consider that abuse. BTW - I have never used the shoe shine service.

BTW - I don't recall seeing that post only some inuendos made that people have done this.

Ron

Let's put it this way.

You should not have to substantiate your laundry outgo to anyone, least of all the steward. You had a lazy one, Sue. Hope he kept the room up.

I remember that post also, but I can't remember the posters username. I have also cruised with some that have bragged about doing this same thing, and then add up all the costs they 'saved' by getting free laundry/dry cleaning. So, my guess, this sort of thing does happen, and if it gets out of hand, it is the sort of thing that will limit this perk in the future. :(

there used to be a regular poster here who boasted about filling their suitcases with dirty clothes from home, and getting everything laundered as soon as they boarded the ship.

yuk!

I remember that post also, but I can't remember the posters username. I have also cruised with some that have bragged about doing this same thing, and then add up all the costs they 'saved' by getting free laundry/dry cleaning. So, my guess, this sort of thing does happen, and if it gets out of hand, it is the sort of thing that will limit this perk in the future. :(

That person got banned, and then returned with a different name.....spent alot of time on Princess ships, and spent huge amounts of time on the internet posting "live from" reports here. So much so, that I always felt it was not a coincidence that they soon cut back the unlimited internet access.

That person got banned, and then returned with a different name.....spent alot of time on Princess ships, and spent huge amounts of time on the internet posting "live from" reports here. So much so, that I always felt it was not a coincidence that they soon cut back the unlimited internet access.

Say no more, I know of who you speak. ;)

Archived