Smuggling Beer Aboard

waid10

I know that my cruise line does not allow alcohol to be carried aboard. And I know that rum runners appears to be the method of choice for bringing hard liquor aboard. And I also know that you can carry wine on if you pay a corkage fee.

But what I don't know is the best possible way to bring beer aboard...any ideas?

Last time I cruised (2004) we just dropped a case of Corona with the porters and slapped a luggage tag on it. The case was waiting at our room with our luggage later in the day. I don't think that works anymore.

There have been many threads in here on how to smuggle beer. I'm sure if you do a search, you can find lots of suggestions.

I've never tried it myself, but I've read lots of posts about it. Many people just pack it in their checked luggage and hope for the best - some of it makes it through, some doesn't. If it doesn't, they'll confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise.

Others have taken it onboard by purchasing 12-paks of soda, removing all the soda cans, replacing most of it with beer, and putting a couple sodas back in the front. That seems to be pretty successful.

If you have to fly, you'll have to buy it before heading to the port. Stick it in your LOCKED, checked luggage. Chances are good it'll get through. If they decide to confiscate it, you'll be called to unlock your bag, and they'll hold it until the end. Not the end of the world!

I always just put a couple 12 packs in a weekender size suitcase and stuff a few pairs of socks and shorts around same. The case is fairly light and my theory is it is very easy to handle and simply passes thru security with little attention. I am not an expert on the subject but I suspect the xray machine does not show much difference between a case of pepsi or a case of bud light. Besides that the person watching the monitor should be concentrating on looking for more serious contriband. My second order of business is to tip the cabin steward a few bucks to keep my cooler 1/3 full of ice. :) Also it is very handy to have the same brand of beer as what is served on deck.... We still purchase drinks around the ship but our bar bill is far more reasonable when I have a handy supply of beer.

We have done the beer in a soda carton with success. We use a suitcase with wheels, put an old towel in the bottom, wrap the "soda" cartons in a trash bag. And at the end of the cruise we have an extra suitcase for souvenirs.

Sharon

Archived