Biggest RCI/Cruise/Passenger Pet Peeve

Atty

Almost all the pet peeves registered here happen whether your are on board ship or on land. All are indicative of boorish, insensitive and rude behavior. As long as these cretins stay out of my space, I ignore those who act as an ignorant ass. Cross into my space and I will deal with them in a manner that meets their level of idiocy. I am on a cruise to enjoy what is left of my life.

1. Diamond(+) Members who take over the Concierge Lounge like they own it - mooch off the free stuff - look at those of us who stop by for a drink here and there like we have three heads for sitting on "their" sofa or breathing "their" air!! We've all "earned" our standing with RCCL.

2. People who do not wash their hands after using the restroom!!!!!!

3. Physically abled people who hop an elevator to go up or down for ONE deck.

<sigh> another one......again, how can you see able or unable to take stairs? I'm sorry...maybe I need to wear a sign around my neck that says....I have arthritis....I may LOOK perfectly fine....I may LOOK able to take those stairs....but I am in PAIN when I do. Or perhaps I should just fake a limp? :rolleyes: I must be pissing off a lot of folks on cruises. LOL

<sigh> another one......again, how can you see able or unable to take stairs? I'm sorry...maybe I need to wear a sign around my neck that says....I have arthritis....I may LOOK perfectly fine....I may LOOK able to take those stairs....but I am in PAIN when I do. Or perhaps I should just fake a limp? :rolleyes: I must be pissing off a lot of folks on cruises. LOL

Your not pissing me off Kitty, we usually take the stairs only take elevators when we have had to much elbow bending at the bar then we are so happy we are glad you joined us for the ride up or down which ever it may be!!! ;) And I am the kind that will start talking to ya!!!!!

> Pax who camp out in the Concierge Lounge.

> Pax who think they are "special" and deserve extra attention and perks from the staff.

> Pax who are rude and demanding of the staff.

What do you mean??? I had no idea there was a time limit???

BILL

Not to start fireworks, but smoking on the balconies! If they are going to allow it, make it at least on just one side of the ship.

For the first time in 16 cruises, we upgraded to a balcony last year. The folks in the next cabin were chain smokers!

Yeah, I notice that every time we leave Jamaica. A certain smokey smell coming from the balconies below us.

:cool: My pet peeve - the "CELLPHONE" - the ones that are loud,loud,loud.

"NO REALLY I AM ON A CRUISE".......pause....."YA, I AM ON THE SHIP RIGHT NOW"....pause....."I AM, I WOULDN'T LIE, I AM ON A CRUISE SHIP".....pause......"A WEEK, ON A CRUISE SHIP"......

just want to yank the thing right out of thier fat little fingers and throw it over board.......:mad:

I get my pet peeves out of my system when I am NOT cruising. ;)

Once I get on the ship, I get soooooo relaxed that there really isn't much that can bother me. Even my disappointment with the decline in the MDR food - I don't take on my cruise. I simply follow RCI's devious (well maybe not devious - I guess they are rather obvious) expectations/hopes - and book the specialty dining venues 3 or 4 times for the week. :D I am RCI's favorite kind of cruiser (for as long as I sail with them). :o

Yeah, I notice that every time we leave Jamaica. A certain smokey smell coming from the balconies below us.

Hey, my nose is better than yours, I detect the smokey smell upon arrival. I might have a seasoned nose since I was born there:D

On that note, my pet peeve would be, parents who take thier kids to the Caribbean and Mexico resorts without warning them about writing things in book reports. No mention of parents in dance contest, toplessness on the beach, or any kind of aroma that's not coming from the kitchen:p Yes, Disneyland is looking good.

Having to go to the naughty room and explain the bottle of rum in my checked luggage.

Hasn't ever happened, but I know that would upset me greatly.

Oh yes, another one is when people yell for all to hear.....BINGO. That means another $32.00 down the drain.

John

This has only occurred occasionally on one cruise but was very bad. A person in a scooter chair was very obnoxious and literally ran over people who were in her way and onto their heels if in line. She had only one speed and it was a fast as the thing would go. Courtesy is a two way street and people using chairs for the first time on a cruise should know the limitations and capability of the equipment.

I am not at all referring to the nice people who happen to be handicapped that acknowledge the courtesy extended them by people who make way and room. They are by far the 99% majority. A pox on people who are ill mannered to them.

I did make a suggestion on the one cruise that a speed limit or speed bumps be implemented ;)

Ship/Boat - I love the ships, but I refer to them ironically as "boats, tubs, dinghys, floating hotels, floating malls, etc." Hope I'm not cheesing off too many people. ;)

Chair Hogs - Not a problem. I'll let you in on a secret. If you see a chair that's been unoccupied (except by a towel or a book) for over an hour (the rules say 20-30 minutes, I think), it is really easy to point this out (that the chair has been unoccupied for long past the duration allowed) to the pool deck attendant, explain that you're going to bring that stuff to him, go pick the stuff up, carry it over to the pool deck attendant, and go back to the chair. If the chair hog confronts you, simply say that the pool deck attendant has their stuff, and that the chair was left unattended too long. If there's a kerfuffle about this, trust me, the attendant will take your side. And yes, I have done this several times. Never had a problem, as most people are too embarrassed to confront you.

Chairs on the running deck. - Not a problem. I simply point out the running track lines and explain that they need to move their chair for their own safety and that of others.

I'm exceedingly polite and friendly when I do this, and approach people with the attitude that they simply didn't realize what they were doing. Allowing them to maintain their dignity makes the process much easier.

I know this is SO minor, but it bugs me when frequent cruisers come absolutely fully prepared for the Quest.

My first experience with the Quest in 2002 was so fun, it must have been new to RCCL at the time because people actually had to hunt and be creative in the requests.

Now, people come armed with everything they need and then some, and while it's still funny to watch, it's nowhere near as fun when people practically have things ready two questions in advance. I feel bad for first timers who try to participate.

I know this is SO minor, but it bugs me when frequent cruisers come absolutely fully prepared for the Quest.

My first experience with the Quest in 2002 was so fun, it must have been new to RCCL at the time because people actually had to hunt and be creative in the requests.

I agree, but I view this as a gripe against the Cruise Director, who is responsible for the entertainment and activities onboard. They need to think of some new items and substitute them if people are always prepared. On Voyager last time, they asked for two of certain items, which helped foil the cheaters.

Most stuff doesn't bother me, I'm just thrilled to be on a cruise, BUT why do people insist on bringing babies into the solarium?:confused: In December, my DH and I were sitting on the side of the solarium watching the water, enjoying the quiet when a mom, grandma and infant "rolled" into our space. With all the squealing, and cooing from all, the guy taking a nap next to us fled the area and they laughed about it. I've been know to throw my own DDs out of the solarium (all over 20), for bickering! People come in there to escape that stuff! On the rest of the ship, the kids (running and all), really don't bother me.

:eek: First off the infant should not have been anywhere near the solarium. :eek: I had kids, so it is not that. I would have gotten the nearest pool attendant to have them removed. Afterall, they don't belong there as it is adults only or at least age 16 . :rolleyes:

The family that sat with us, caused quite an uproar on our cruise (there were about 20 of them). They were rude, crass and just plain awful. I knew asking them nicely to leave wouldn't have worked, so it wasn't worth ruining my vacation over. The pool attendant wasn't having a great day either:(, I saw him getting yelled at by several pool hogs during that day (he was using the sticker system to keep track of time). Dragging him over would have been futile. The only good part to this story, is that several members of that family got held up in security at the airport going home;)

This does bring up a peeve, when the elevator arrives the rush to get on when people are not allowed to exit first. Normally use stairs, but that always drives me nuts.

Had this happen to me last month on the Grandeur. Elevator was pretty full. I was standing on the right side next to the elevator buttons. Elevator stopped at my floor and as I started to exit a lady started actually pushing past me to try and get on. When I wouldn't move, she snapped, "will you move out of me way, I'm trying to get on this elevator." I gently pushed back and replied as I exited, "I'm trying to if you'll just let me get the he!! off." The whole crowd on the elevator bursted out laughing and I wished that I had stayed onboard to see her reaction.:rolleyes:

Archived