Biggest RCI/Cruise/Passenger Pet Peeve

Atty

Almost all the pet peeves registered here happen whether your are on board ship or on land. All are indicative of boorish, insensitive and rude behavior. As long as these cretins stay out of my space, I ignore those who act as an ignorant ass. Cross into my space and I will deal with them in a manner that meets their level of idiocy. I am on a cruise to enjoy what is left of my life.

God, I loved the way you said that.."deal with them in a manner that meets their level of idiocy". RTF on!!!!

My peeves? Table hogs in the windjammer on vision class Alaska cruises. I saw people actually force the sliding doors open on the "closed side" twenty minutes befor the place actually opened. They grabbed all the window tables. Normally I don't care where i sit to eat, but there were so many of these rude people not eating, just sitting, that most folks had no were to sit and eat. Alaska cruises are just a little too brisk to sit outside by the pool bar and eat.

Next is tables set up to sell stuff by the pool bar at sailaway. Again on an Alaska cruise. They have a captive audience for 7 days. They'll make it to the ship's shopping areas soon enough. Greedy pinheads.

I haven't reached + status yet, but when I do you can bet I will avoid the C'lounge like the plague...just for the reasons previously mentioned. I hate people that think the world owes them special privilidges anhd they have the right to be buttheads. Seen too much of it in my life.

NAMVET says it all

My pet peeves are in the same category - rudeness.

I despise when people are rude to the servers/bartenders/cabin attendants. I watched one woman yell at a bartender to refill her drink because it was spilled on the dance floor. He did, just to get rid of her. Ten minutes later she was BACK, her drink was spilled again...she wanted a refill for free. :eek: When he declined, she brought a whole group of people to stand there and yell at the bartender. :rolleyes:

When getting off a tender at the ship and there is a wheelchair or a person with a stroller closest to the exit - do not run them over trying to get off the tender. There is nothing on the ship that you need to race to. Take a deep breath and wait for the person in the wheel chair to be removed instead of stepping over them to get off first. :rolleyes:

Cell phone usage - unless you are a doctor and it is a matter of life/death that you talk on a cell phone around other people (like in the MDR), then put the cell phone away. No phone call that starts out with "Hey it's me, whatcha doing?" needs to go on in public. You are not that important.

Speaking of cell phone rudeness...

On the first cruise i was on that had "Celluar at Sea" show up on my cell (which I was using for a clock)..I was at the pool bar about 6 AM having coffee. The place was pretty deserted and I was enjoying the quiet when this lady came up and sat down about 10 feet away (keep in mind that the whole pool deck was empty). She whipped out her cell phone and began yacking away which really annoyed me. She had the whole deck and there she was ten feet away. I guess she wanted me to know that she was the 300th million person to have a cell phone. She was talking to everyone in her family telling each and every one, individually, where she was, what she was doing, where she was going that day, yadayada. She repeated the same conversation 6 times to six different people.

The longer this went on the more my annoyance turned to amusement. After a full 45 minutes of this, she finally ended the conversation with, "I better go, this is eating into my minutes." I damn near fell off my seat, barely containing my laughter.

Obviously she thought that 45 minutes of "International Roaming" was just cutting into her allotment of normal airtime minutes. My amusement came from my mental image of her opening up her next cell phone bill and seeing 45 minutes at $2.45 a minute.

Served her right for her rudeness.

Speaking of cell phone rudeness...

On the first cruise i was on that had "Celluar at Sea" show up on my cell (which I was using for a clock)..I was at the pool bar about 6 AM having coffee. The place was pretty deserted and I was enjoying the quiet when this lady came up and sat down about 10 feet away (keep in mind that the whole pool deck was empty). She whipped out her cell phone and began yacking away which really annoyed me. She had the whole deck and there she was ten feet away. I guess she wanted me to know that she was the 300th million person to have a cell phone. She was talking to everyone in her family telling each and every one, individually, where she was, what she was doing, where she was going that day, yadayada. She repeated the same conversation 6 times to six different people.

The longer this went on the more my annoyance turned to amusement. After a full 45 minutes of this, she finally ended the conversation with, "I better go, this is eating into my minutes." I damn near fell off my seat, barely containing my laughter.

Obviously she thought that 45 minutes of "International Roaming" was just cutting into her allotment of normal airtime minutes. My amusement came from my mental image of her opening up her next cell phone bill and seeing 45 minutes at $2.45 a minute.

Served her right for her rudeness.

LOL< :D

When we were on the Mariner, the women in the cabin below us would go out on her balcony every day and make phones call. While I appreciated her making it from her private balcony rather then up on deck, she was talking very loud, I heard all her families dirty secrets, it was very juicy!! I told my DH, I wish I could see what she looks like, because if I spotted her on ship I'd ask her how her husbands rash was doing?.......that may have helped her lower her voice when speaking on the cell phone. ;)

Touché ;)

I imagine Atty stands for Attorney, so you'll appreciate this...when the Red Sox are in the World Series, I wear full Red Sox regalia for the duration (it brings them luck :D ). Anyway, I'm in court a lot, so I've worn jerseys under my suits :)

Obviously it has worked because the Sox swept the '04 and '07 series when I did this :p

I refrain from cruising in October for this very reason!

See originally being from Ohio, I'm an Indians fan so I don't have to worry about that....my baseball season is usually over by the first week of May.

people who brag about adding tons of extra items to someone's breakfast room service tag as some "hilarious" prank. so wasteful :mad:

people who yell between balconies

people who save more than one extra seat in any venue - go ahead and save for your DH or DW but the other 10 people in your party (who show up late, if at all) can find their own places.

people who leave their halfeaten platefulls of food on their sundeck loungechair when they leave. Gross! you brought it up there - take it away (just give it to a pool attendant, at least)

lecture from the muslim bartender about the evils of drinking :eek:

waiters doing magic tricks or telling jokes during dinner

photographers interrupting dinner

and another: automatic diamond status for kids of diamond members, even if they haven't "earned" it by cruising.

one more: people who expect you to hold the elevator for their friends 300 feet away, ambling over at a leisurely pace. wait for the next elevator, please!!

and another: automatic diamond status for kids of diamond members, even if they haven't "earned" it by cruising.

one more: people who expect you to hold the elevator for their friends 300 feet away, ambling over at a leisurely pace. wait for the next elevator, please!!

Agree - this is going to come back and bite RCI in the backside.

In 10 years time when these children cruise on their own, they will all be diamond or above - think of the chaos in the DL then!!

people who save more than one extra seat in any venue - go ahead and save for your DH or DW but the other 10 people in your party (who show up late, if at all) can find their own places.

or do not fill up all the seats in a row, causing others to have to struggle to get to the empty seats.

children have the same status as their parents?

i have to agree with all of you on people being rude. when in line for the wj, no need to push, the food will still be there in two second when i move ahead. plus you probably ate an hour or two ago so you can't be that hungry!

Agree - this is going to come back and bite RCI in the backside.

In 10 years time when these children cruise on their own, they will all be diamond or above - think of the chaos in the DL then!!

Yep, you got that right, and then thats when they will take the perks away, all of us who have so carefully and faithfully worked to D+ status over the years will get nothing.

It really upsets met to see all the gawkers that stand around and block the stairs, halls, etc when they announce an alpha just so they can what? watch someone who's in misery, or hurt or having a life changing event? I think it is BEYOND RUDE!! What if that was your family member?? Would you just want people standing around watching?? It is NOT a spectator sport!! I never did get people who pull over to "watch" the sceen of a MVA, etc. I'm a nurse and it's way beyond a pet peave, obviously it just ticks me off!! Sorry- Off soapbox now....

Just a note to you...I understand fully where you are coming from...We had to have an alpha...and RCI had people block the hallway, and redirect passanges so that they would not be looking into our cabin...fortunatly everything turned out OK...and I was very greatful that there weren't people standing around looking at my DH, it was hard enough going through the whole thing.

Oh my pet peeve....people that ask when our ship is going to take off...I always figure if the ships is going to take off...I want off before it does:eek:

People who don't think the rules apply to them, be it smoking in non-smoking areas, children in adult only areas, chair-hogs, etc.

Disorganization on part of the crew. May be it's my military background, but I'm a big believer in the 7 P's (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance). I've seen some real FUBAR operations on my cruises. Come on guys; you tender almost every week into Grand Cayman, or Labadee, or wherever, and sometimes it seems like it's never been done before. Too often they don't have a clue as to what's going on or how to manage the lines. Same for disembarkation - people get off the ship after EVERY CRUISE - you'd think they'd have it down to a science by now!

I hope I don't offend anyone here:

Strangers that sit at my table during breakfast or lunch when there are plenty of empty tables.

What does this mean? Isn't breakfast/lunch open seating? Just curious.

Yes it is open seating but I would prefer to sit alone. Sometimes people will come and sit in one of the chairs at your table. This is understandable on embarkation day when everyone is in WJ at the same time but during the cruise, I find it annoying, especially if there are other tables available.

I just remembered another one - people who have NO idea what ship, cruise line or itinerary they are cruising or have cruised.

The other day I overheard someone say to her friend

"Enjoy your cruise. Where are you going?"

The woman's response - "we are either going to Bermuda or maybe its the Bahamas. I don't know which one is which." :eek:

If you don't know where you are going when you step onto a ship (and it's not a Cruise to Nowhere or an emergency evacuation), then just stay home. ;)

When parties of two would sit at six person tables in the Windjammer. My family of six would have to search and search for a larger table or have to split up.

Or when parties of two sit at a table for six and don't understand the protocol of sharing the table during busy times.

I must admit to deliberately calling the ship a boat several time along with my partner just to annoy my father in law!!!

Poolside chair hogs really annoying why do families need 5 or 6 chairs between them when they're not in the all day, at least just dump all your stuff on one and free up the others! Luckily on our last cruise we used to just dump all our stuff in my DD buggy poolside as never any chairs available just loads with towels, sunglasses and books on them!

Pet Peeve...

At the pool bar "So, what are you going to do in Cozumel?"

Reply "We're going to Cozumel???"

At the pool bar on Rhapsody..."How many times have you been on the Rhapsody??"

Reply.."What's a Rhapsody?"

In other words...people who ain't got a clue.

Kids being allowed to run wild. There was one on Serenade last week. After he punched all the elevator buttons and ran off laughing I warned him I was going to report his activity (But I didn't say to who). I think someone beat me to it though, never saw him again the rest of the cruise.

We had a "similar" brat....running down the hallways ringing the doorbells. We were on deck 10 in a grand suite.

But the difference is.....I caught the culprit. After answering the door about 6 times, I ran out and viewed him ringing a bunch of bells and then turned and went into his room. I yelled at him, and then informed the Concierge and he turned it over to security.

It didn't happen again.

So, yes....that is my peeve too.

Archived