Alcohol age limit

odden

Hi all

Can anyone please advise me - we will be sailing on the Grand Princess from Southampton (UK) my daughter (19) and boyfriend (20) will be travelling with us.

Is the age limit for purchase and consuption of alcohol 18 or 21?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

There is no need to respond in that manner to a sensible question

The facts are that at 19 and 20 they are legally responsible indeviduals able to make thier own informed choices, if they choose to have a glass of wine with thier dinner or a beer in the evening - as adults that is thier choice

The point is that they will not be impressed by restrictions on thier freedom to make thier own choices

OK?

Hi all

Can anyone please advise me - we will be sailing on the Grand Princess from Southampton (UK) my daughter (19) and boyfriend (20) will be travelling with us.

Is the age limit for purchase and consuption of alcohol 18 or 21?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

I think that most Princess ships make it 21, but I have read here that there have been 18 limits for some ships sailing out of the UK. Perhaps a phone call to Princess UK would help answer this.

I think that most Princess ships make it 21, but I have read here that there have been 18 limits for some ships sailing out of the UK. Perhaps a phone call to Princess UK would help answer this.

Thanks for the suggestion - just done it and it looks like the rules are changes to local laws when sailing from Southampton - so no worries:D

Thanks for the suggestion - just done it and it looks like the rules are changes to local laws when sailing from Southampton - so no worries:D

That must be new because when we sailed from Southampton on the Golden the drinking age was still 21.

It the only way they can be impressed is by drinking, then save money and vacation at a local pub. Maybe that will impress them.

Ouch....since they live where the drinking age is 18 they have a right not to be "impressed" by the fact that they are no longer able to enjoy a cocktail while on vacation. Since the poster is from another country keep in mind that the term "impressed" may be used differently that we do over here.

We are just off the Sea Princess in the Caribbean The age on board for drinking was 18. It was in bl;ack and white in our cabin information. The majority of the passengers were British.

This happens quite often with the Sea Princess when she sails with mostly British onboard out of Barbados/UK as this ship is targeted to those passengers. But the other ships in the fleet, I have not seen the drinking age lowered as the passengers are mixed from all over the world but mostly from the U.S.

There is no need to respond in that manner to a sensible question

The facts are that at 19 and 20 they are legally responsible indeviduals able to make thier own informed choices, if they choose to have a glass of wine with thier dinner or a beer in the evening - as adults that is thier choice

The point is that they will not be impressed by restrictions on thier freedom to make thier own choices

OK?

A very good response to a nasty reply.... there is very little point in this forum to bring up the fact that 19 year olds vote, pay taxes, can go to war in the service of their nation and be killed.....but can't drink. I am not sure what we are protecting 19 year olds by not allowing them to drink from but I am sure that I will learn.

Two years ago I sailed the Sea Princess from Southampton and the drinking age onboard the ship was 18. This was the first time I had seen anything other than 21, but for the last several years since the Sea Princess came back to the Princess fleet from P&O she has been heavily marketed to the Brits. I was on the Grand Princess last summer also sailing from Southampton and the drinking age was 21. That being said, however, this summer the Sea Princess will not be sailing European itineraries (she will be in Alaska instead) and the Grand Princess is sailing the itineraries that the Sea Princess has sailed for the last two summers. I suspect that Princess is heavily marketing the Grand Princess to the Brits this year as they have done with the Sea Princess for the last few years, so they may well lower the drinking age onboard to 18 when she moves to Europe for the summer.

Two years ago I sailed the Sea Princess from Southampton and the drinking age onboard the ship was 18. This was the first time I had seen anything other than 21, but for the last several years since the Sea Princess came back to the Princess fleet from P&O she has been heavily marketed to the Brits. I was on the Grand Princess last summer also sailing from Southampton and the drinking age was 21. That being said, however, this summer the Sea Princess will not be sailing European itineraries (she will be in Alaska instead) and the Grand Princess is sailing the itineraries that the Sea Princess has sailed for the last two summers. I suspect that Princess is heavily marketing the Grand Princess to the Brits this year as they have done with the Sea Princess for the last few years, so they may well lower the drinking age onboard to 18 when she moves to Europe for the summer.

Hi all

For the sake of completion, heres the facts, I have now confirmed from Princess directly .... 'passengers under 21 are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board a Princess ship, EXCEPT Grand Princess when sailing out of Southampton, where passengers must be 18 or over'

Whilst I have the greatest respect for America and its people, it is refreshing to see that they do not make the rules for the rest of the world!

So its cocktails before dinner for all :D

It the only way they can be impressed is by drinking, then save money and vacation at a local pub. Maybe that will impress them.

Get a grip! A simple question needed answering and you post smart arse answers like that.

If the UK law is 18 and I was used to this, i would not be impressed either if it went up to 21 when going on holiday.

Get a grip! A simple question needed answering and you post smart arse answers like that.

If the UK law is 18 and I was used to this, i would not be impressed either if it went up to 21 when going on holiday.

Ditto!!

Hi all

For the sake of completion, heres the facts, I have now confirmed from Princess directly .... 'passengers under 21 are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board a Princess ship, EXCEPT Grand Princess when sailing out of Southampton, where passengers must be 18 or over'

Whilst I have the greatest respect for America and its people, it is refreshing to see that they do not make the rules for the rest of the world!

So its cocktails before dinner for all :D

Don't count on accuracy from Princess CSR's.

If it works when you get onboard great.

Your little jab there was not necessary.

Don't count on accuracy from Princess CSR's.

If it works when you get onboard great.

Your little jab there was not necessary.

Actually my friend I would like to correct you on 2 points....

1. The quote is actually from Princess UK 2009 (Nine) brochure and terms of booking

2. The 'jab' is accurate and warranted - IMHO :D

Archived