Alcohol age limit

odden

Canadians have the same problem when travelling. Our drinking age is 19 and when on a Caribbean cruise, or even just visiting across the boarder they have to be 21. Interesting how it is 21 in the Caribbean because you are travelling through international waters are you not?? Now if you were a hollywood star you could drink at any age as it seems they are always pictured drinking in bars underage and get away with it??? But the rules are in place for a reason so must be followed! I would not let it stop me from having a good time!

Canadians have the same problem when travelling. Our drinking age is 19 and when on a Caribbean cruise, or even just visiting across the boarder they have to be 21. Interesting how it is 21 in the Caribbean because you are travelling through international waters are you not?? Now if you were a hollywood star you could drink at any age as it seems they are always pictured drinking in bars underage and get away with it??? But the rules are in place for a reason so must be followed! I would not let it stop me from having a good time!

Hi Momphoto

Look at this e mail from Princess UK which confirms the change to UK regulations - looks like the American influence wanes the further East you go !!!

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that voyage A919 will have the age limit reduced to 18 years to fall in line with the UK regulations on alcohol. Your daughter and her partner can also be accommodated in the same stateroom, should they wish it.

I hope this information has helped answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards

Lesley Cardy

Princess Cruises

Carnival UK

That is great to read!!! I am glad they are doing this for the UK departures!!

Not that I have to worry about this as yet as my kids are only 16 and 13 but we have know people where this became an issue.

Have a great cruise!!!

Crikey - thats bad

We thought as we were sailing from a UK port into the med UK rules would apply

They will not be impressed

Then,u r there,so just buy it for them,but i can think of a lot of better things to be doing than worrying about that type of thing!Too bad,if they aren't impressed,they can wait until they r on their own and figure it out,until then,rules r rules.:)

We too have this problem as my daughter will be 19 and her boyfriend 20 on our cruise on the Ruby in the summer.

The age limit will still be 21 so they are unable to drink on board.

They came with us last year too and the same thing happened.

It did not unduly worry them but it is a shame that at home they can have a drink but when on holiday they are unable to.

The steward would not even let them sign for their bottle of water in their cabin I had to do it as he said they were under 21.

good job they were not on the ship on their own they could have died of thirst lol.

We sailed on the sea princess out of southampton and the age limit was 18 then so I assumed that it would be the same for the Grand

Incidently on Royal Carribean if you are travelling to the Med/europe even a fly cruise (not just out of southampton) if a parent of a 18-21 signs a waiver form they are allowed to purchase alcohol.

I cant understand why princess doesnt do that. As we knew of youngsters that bought drink on and then proceeded to drink it in their cabin.

When we was on our cruise last summer our daughters boyfriend who looks a lot older than he is was asked by waiters what drink he wanted. so they obvisiously thought he was older than he was.

Tina

Then,u r there,so just buy it for them,but i can think of a lot of better things to be doing than worrying about that type of thing!Too bad,if they aren't impressed,they can wait until they r on their own and figure it out,until then,rules r rules.:)

If you read on later they have changed the rules for the UK - as you say rules are rules - but in this case they are our rules that apply

They are not alcoholics by any stretch of the imagination, they just see it as a right as an adult to maker thier own choices, fortunaltely on this occasion this right has not been removed by the implimentation of out of date restrictions which are clearly not applicable.

I have got a massive bee in my bonnet about this issue - as you might gather

But fortunatley sense in prevailing - so if any of you 18 to 20 year olds out there want to be un shackled come on over to the UK:D

If you read on later they have changed the rules for the UK - as you say rules are rules - but in this case they are our rules that apply

They are not alcoholics by any stretch of the imagination, they just see it as a right as an adult to maker thier own choices, fortunaltely on this occasion this right has not been removed by the implimentation of out of date restrictions which are clearly not applicable.

I have got a massive bee in my bonnet about this issue - as you might gather

But fortunatley sense in prevailing - so if any of you 18 to 20 year olds out there want to be un shackled come on over to the UK:D

It is very obvious that you have a massive bee in your bonnet about this issue, but it has been resolved to your satisfaction, so you can stop making anti American cracks about the drinking age in our country.

You need to realize that Princess is an American owned company and as such is likely to comply with American laws in most cases, even if the ships are registered elsewhere and are sailing in other parts of the world. It is much easier for Princess to have a uniform policy across the fleet. There is an active debate in our country over lowering the drinking age with valid arguments on both sides. While I was able to drink at 18 when I lived in Wisconsin I could not when I lived in Pennsylvania. It was fine with me either way and I didn't feel that anything was taken from me when I was in Pennsylvania. And when I think of how easy it was for me to get alcohol if I had wanted when I was a 15 or 16 year old in high school in Massachusetts (the drinking age was 18 there and I knew many 18 year old high schoolers that were friends of my brother and would have bought it for me) I can fully support the drinking age of 21. And yes, I have a 19 year old son who could not drink when we were on the Grand Princess last summer.

It is very obvious that you have a massive bee in your bonnet about this issue, but it has been resolved to your satisfaction, so you can stop making anti American cracks about the drinking age in our country.

Well said, they had to get one more in though. :rolleyes:

Geez... lighten up everyone! :)

I wouldn't consider Odden's comments as "anti-American". Maybe "anti-antiquated laws" would be more like it. As an American, I disagree with many of our laws, but that doesn't make me "anti-American" (well, at least, not anymore... :p).

I'm glad that Princess has the sense to change their policy when sailing out of British ports. This is, of course, a concession on their part, but makes sense if you're trying to attract a British audience. Otherwise those folks would be sailing on P&O.

Americans are unduly sensitive to anything they perceive as "anti-american". Guess what people- we aren't as perfect as we/ve always been told. Some other countries actually have good ideas and policies too. As every other country in the world has a lower drinking age than 21, I can easily see why ours is seen as "antiquated". If you are someone who enjoys a drink now and then, how would you like to go on a cruise where you couldn't get a drink.

Americans are unduly sensitive to anything they perceive as "anti-american". Guess what people- we aren't as perfect as we/ve always been told. Some other countries actually have good ideas and policies too. As every other country in the world has a lower drinking age than 21, I can easily see why ours is seen as "antiquated". If you are someone who enjoys a drink now and then, how would you like to go on a cruise where you couldn't get a drink.

Guess they should cruise somewhere they can drink to their hearts content. :rolleyes:

Guess they should cruise somewhere they can drink to their hearts content. :rolleyes:

Just to clear up the anti american bit - I am most certainly not anti American and when I visit the USA I totally respect your laws (yes even the 21 year old drinking bit)

They point is when I am in the UK or indeed anywhere else in the world I do not expect your laws or indeed anyone elses to be imposed upon me for absoultely no good reason - and it is unreasonable to expect anything else IMHO

I do have the greatest respect from the USA and it people but SOME of you could do with listening to the old addage.....when in Rome.........!!!!!!!!!!

Just to clear up the anti american bit - I am most certainly not anti American and when I visit the USA I totally respect your laws (yes even the 21 year old drinking bit)

They point is when I am in the UK or indeed anywhere else in the world I do not expect your laws or indeed anyone elses to be imposed upon me for absoultely no good reason - and it is unreasonable to expect anything else IMHO

I do have the greatest respect from the USA and it people but SOME of you could do with listening to the old addage.....when in Rome.........!!!!!!!!!!

Well, with the change in... ahem... climate here in the States, I think you'll see the US doing alot less "imposing" on other countries, especially that unilateral imposing of the last few years...:p

I'd say on the civil-snarky score card...

it's... UK-2 USA-0

Some of the teetotalers or age editing teetotalers need to set down their Carrie Nation hatchets... (Wiki it Brits:))

I understand the UK irritation... I lived in New York in the early '80's. As the Feds got testy on drinking ages and highway funding, NY moved its drinking age up from 18 to 19. Eighteen year olds imbibbing legally became prohibitted. Those folk turned 19 and became legal and a year or so later NY (at the beheast of DC) increased the age to 21 and these voting taxpayers became prohibited again for a short time... :rolleyes: Of course, I lived 'of age' in pre-Gulliani NYC where nothing was enforced anyway so it was somewhat scholastic... :D

There's presently a quiet movement afoot among certain USA college administrators to promote rethinking of the entire age 21 idea. The sense there is that kids hit college without constraints and colleges are forced to maintain an impossible prohibition on campus (it's felt this promotes '*****'/'Girls Gone Wild' binge drinking) rather than more mature reasonably regulated social imbibing...

Oh well... to each their own...

Enjoy your cruise.

Amen to that!

You missed the point of my post which was that Princess is an American owned company with the majority of passengers being Americans. As such, even though they sail under a foreign flag and are not required to have a drinking age of 21 when in international waters, they are adhering to the accepted drinking age here in the States. I'm sure they have considered lowering the age when sailing internationally but with the exception of one ship that sails out of Southampton and caters mostly to the Brits have found it is easier to keep a uniform drinking age onboard all of their ships. I was really surprised when I saw the drinking age was 18 onboard the Sea Princess out of Southampton a couple of years age and quite honestly I wouldn't want to be sailing on a ship with a lot of 18 to 20 year old American kids who are suddenly given the freedom to drink at will when they cannot do so at home.

p.s. - even when Princess was owned by P&O (a British company) the drinking age on their ships was 21.

I'd say on the civil-snarky score card...

it's... UK-2 USA-0

Some of the teetotalers or age editing teetotalers need to set down their Carrie Nation hatchets... (Wiki it Brits:))

I understand the UK irritation... I lived in New York in the early '80's. As the Feds got testy on drinking ages and highway funding, NY moved its drinking age up from 18 to 19. Eighteen year olds imbibbing legally became prohibitted. Those folk turned 19 and became legal and a year or so later NY (at the beheast of DC) increased the age to 21 and these voting taxpayers became prohibited again for a short time... :rolleyes: Of course, I lived 'of age' in pre-Gulliani NYC where nothing was enforced anyway so it was somewhat scholastic... :D

There's presently a quiet movement afoot among certain USA college administrators to promote rethinking of the entire age 21 idea. The sense there is that kids hit college without constraints and colleges are forced to maintain an impossible prohibition on campus (it's felt this promotes '*****'/'Girls Gone Wild' binge drinking) rather than more mature reasonably regulated social imbibing...

Oh well... to each their own...

Enjoy your cruise.

Hey ... that Carrie Nation had a sister who lived on our street when we were kids.. she did her best to stop us drinking tea as she said it was anti American!

On a lighter note.. further research informs me that the currency on Grand Princess has also been changed to £ stirling!:p

Archived