vow renewal Noordam

cruise junky joan

We will be cruising the Med. on the Noordam in Sept. for our 25th anniversary and I am thinking of scheduling a vowel renewal ceremony. I just the post regarding the renewal on the Westerdam which prompted this post. Has anyone done this? Is it only performed on sea days? Where you happy with the event etc? Joan

I didn't renew my vows, but I was present when my tablemates did on the Rotterdam. The ceremony was held at the pleasure of the Captain, and in their case, had to be rescheduled once due to high seas. Obviously, the Captain had better things to do at that time. Two couples were renewing at that meeting, and our friends were allowed to invite us. All told, 5 of us were sent invitations to witness their ceremony. They had a nice cocktail party, and the Captain came, sat with us and made small talk for around 1/2 hour. They then renewed their vows, with us, and a ship's photographer taking pictures. They also had a cake to cut. They even took a picture of all of us together, which I later bought as a memory. I know they were given a pboto album with all the photographs, and the vows. I think they also got a Pinnacle dinner, and some other things, like flowers and wine. I know they were very pleased and felt it was so good, they got the ship to assist them in providing the same ceremony for their in-laws who were cruising on a different ship at the same time. Very nice ceremony IMHO.

We did it on the Zuiderdam a few years ago. It was lovely. Several other couples were doing it at the same time. Each couple was called up by the captain and repeated a specially written vow. Pictures were taken, a photo album was given, so were flowers. There was music playing and they served us drinks and cocktails. A very nice ceremony.

Further guests may be invited and there is an extra charge as all are given a glass of champagne to toast the couples. Last time we did this was 4 years ago so am not sure of what the cost per guest was, I believe you can get this info off of the page showing all items you may purchase on the ship. As already stated, this was a very nice reception and well worth the cost.

We've done it before and may do it again on the Noordam. I think it costs $149.00 and includes a wonderful individual ceremony no matter how many others might be renewing, champagne, music, flowers, a nice homily by the captain for each couple and he reads the vows. But I'll bet if you wanted to write your own vows the captain would use them. It is one of the nicest and most personal activities onboard I think. And you get a certificate for a dinner at the Pinnacle. And a nice album addition with photo of the ceremony with the captain... There is another thread on this HAL site regarding someone asking about the Westerdam. Our experience is that it is basically the same on all the ships though the venue varies. And the captain. margretha

Sounds like Hal does a great job for Vows Renewal.

We did it with Princess for our 50th last Sept' and I managed to keep it secret from my D/W until we were on board. ;) It was very well done but not as many perks as HAL and a little more expensive at $205 per couple :( ie - we had to pay for the special dinner, only one framed photograph (chosen from many that were taken) no hors dourves but chocolate covered strawberries, choice of wine or champagne, two etched glasses, flowers etc. I would say it is very worthwhile however it is done and creates a lasting memory of a very special occasion.

We also had the special attention of a coordinator who was the assistant purser and she did a wonderful job of looking after us both for the ceremony and for the rest of the cruise. We felt really pampered. :)

We did our renewal in July 2008 on the Zuiderdam. It was held on the 9th or 10th day of our 12 day Med cruise. It was held in the piano bar at 5:30pm and there were about 5 other couples doing it along with us.

They served champagne and apps when we arrived and then one by one they called the couples up to the Captain to perform the renewal. Ours was very nice. We did not have any family with us, but many did. We got a photo album, which included the actual verses the captain said, along with flowers and a dinner in the PG.

We enjoyed it.... Wendy:)

DH and I will be aboard the Noordam in November on our actual anniversary (10th.) We are very interested in the vow renewal but were really hoping to renew on our wedding anniversary (11/6 - 6th day of the cruise.) From what it sounds like there is no choice in the ceremony time or date? Also, there are other couples there. I don't mind that but I am wondering if there is one mass vow exchange or if each couple exchanges vows independently? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

mrsltg

Are you on the 11/1/09 HA Noordam cruise?

If so, we have started a small roll call - it is not too lively because it is too early.

How wonderful you are thining of renewing your vows

I have often thought about doing this

carol

mrlstg

Hi again

sorry, I just checked - I see you are on our roll call

I havn't visisted the site in a while

glad you will be joining us

this is our first cruise on hAL so it should be interesting and different

again, carol

Hi Carol-

Yes, I am on the 11/1 sailing. I am really looking forward to it! I did join the roll call though I am guessing it's a little far out for a big response just yet.

Only 10 more months!

Erin

I hope that they change the location for the vow renewal ceremony on the Noordam. When we went to smoke cigars in the Oak Room one afternoon, we noticed it was closed for a private party. Two couples were having their vow renewals. No problem for us, we just smoked 'em on deck, but one of the couples was NOT happy about the room choice. They, of course, did not like the smoky smell of the room. Since there were only two couples, maybe that's why they chose the smaller room. If they had more couples, perhaps a larger room would have been chosen.

If you are looking at doing this on the Noordam, make sure you ask where it will be held. Not everyone appreciates the lingering smell of a cigar........

We are booked on the 10/16 Transatlantic cruise onboard the Noordam. We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary, (a little early) but this is the cruise I wanted. The vow renewal ceremony sounds great. I am trying to surprise my husband with this cruise but I know as we are about a month out, I probably will have to tell him. I can surprise him with this ceremony. I am so excited.

Regards

Nan

Hi Erin

Keep me posted on your wedding renewal plans.

I love weddings and think they are so sentimental.

Will you and your husband wear "wedding attire"

Carol

I will be wearing a white dress from what my mother (twice a bride) affectionately refers to as the "encore collection." Basically, not the princess dress I wore when I was 24 and a blushing bride! My dh would like to wear a tux or a dark suit but he would have preferred to get married on the beach the first time. Because of this I am trying to convince him to wear a Tommy Bahama white or ivory shirt with slacks. I don't think he'll go for it! I will let you know as we draw closer what we have decided to do. I love weddings, as well!

Erin

We will be cruising the Med. on the Noordam in Sept. for our 25th anniversary and I am thinking of scheduling a vowel renewal ceremony. I just the post regarding the renewal on the Westerdam which prompted this post. Has anyone done this? Is it only performed on sea days? Where you happy with the event etc? Joan

Joan,

My DW and I enjoyed the ceremony on the Noordam! I pre arranged as a surprise for my wife. Our renewal ceremony was held on one of the formal evenings. Captain Scott was wonderful! There were four couples. The assistant CD, a lovely young South American lady,was our hostess. There was a string quartet and flowers in the room(can't exactly recall the name) There was champagne and h'ordeurves provided. Cpatin Scott talked to each couple individually before the ceremony began. The vows were well written and he delivered them elegantly. Afterward we engaged Captain Scott and he obviously enjoyed our inquiries into his career and spent almost an hour chatting about his love of the sea and his favorite cruising assignments. All in all worth the money! You will receive a photograph of you both with the Captain taken during the recital of the vows.

We will be on the Oosterdam TA, March 14th and I'm also thinking about booking this ceremony to renew our vows. My question is if someone knows for sure whether it's possible to write your own vows and if they can be in another language ?? We are Belgian and our native language is Dutch. So can anyone tell me if you think the (Dutch ?) captain of the Oosterdam will read to us our own written Dutch vows, so we can repeat them in our own language ? What do you think ? Hey, it is a Holland America ship, right :) ?

My DW and I did the ROV on the Oosterdam, three years ago. It was just as the others have described. Ours was held in the Oak Room, as well. There were three couples, including us.

My brother, sister and their spouses were sailing with us, and they were our guests. No one else had any guests. They probably could have accomodated one more couple in the Oak Room, as long as there were not too many more guests.

We did ours in English, and Captain Jonathan Mercer provided the vows, but I'm sure that, if you made your wishes clear ahead of time, they would let you recite your own. I was just as glad to have someone else provide them for me. I'm not very good at writing that sort of thing.

BTW, there was a charge for the guests. IIRC, it was $12 or $12.50 per guest. I know that they have raised the price of the ROV since we did it. We paid $129; it is now $149, after the price of dinner in the Pinnacle Grill went up from $20 to $30.

Paul

For those who have had the Renewal of Vows ceremony, was it done on a formal night?

DH usually brings a TUX for the longer cruises as well as a Sports Jacket & Tie..On the shorter cruises (IE Alaska) he wears a Suit for formal night..

I'm thinking about surprising him with a ROV on our Statendam, 28 day in Nov, but need to know if he would have to bring a Suit as well as a his TUX...He'll never consent to take both, as he also takes a Sports jacket with him..If he needs a suit, I'd then have to explain why he needed both & perhaps spoil the surprise..

However, if the ROV was on Formal night, his TUX would suffice..Then all I would have to think about is a new dress for me! ;) LOL

Thanks .. Cheers.:).Betty

Archived