Haines Information

mii

We will be in Skagway May 19 but plan to take the ferry to Haines. I have checked the ferry times and we are o.k. there. My question is how far is the pier where the ferry docks to the little town. My DH sometimes has a little mobility problem and he has to walk slow. I am well aware that the town is very small but I thought I read somewhere that is was a little distance from the ferry dock to Fort Seward and the town. Thanks.

Marilyn

It's around 6 miles one way as I remember. If you can get on one of the small fast ferries that aren't a state ferry, they dock right at town.

I really should have made myself clearler. I meant the fast ferry. So now i got my answer. They dock right in town. thank you very much.

marilyn

I really should have made myself clearler. I meant the fast ferry. So now i got my answer. They dock right in town. thank you very much.

marilyn

However, I would say the walk to Fort Seward would be a bit much for someone with mobility issues. It's uphill, not steep like some of the SE towns, but still a haul. If you go the Haines tourism site, there's a shuttle service, which is probably a rattletrap old van I rode from the State Ferry Terminal into town. It's got wheels and moves, though.

However, I would say the walk to Fort Seward would be a bit much for someone with mobility issues. It's uphill, not steep like some of the SE towns, but still a haul. If you go the Haines tourism site, there's a shuttle service, which is probably a rattletrap old van I rode from the State Ferry Terminal into town. It's got wheels and moves, though.

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Marilyn

However, I would say the walk to Fort Seward would be a bit much for someone with mobility issues. It's uphill, not steep like some of the SE towns, but still a haul. ....

Very few people go up the hill, though - there's not really any good reason to. Fort Seward is very photogenic from the bottom of the hill. I go up because I usually have a car and sometimes stay at the Halsingland Hotel in the Fort.

What would you suggest for someone who is not renting a car as to how to spend the day. There do not seem to be any tours that drive out the Haines Highway like there are tours in Skagway that drive to the Yukon. There is one tour that takes you on a pontoon boat but I will be in Haines May 14 and worry I would be too cold.

I am interested in scenery, not museums. Also I have some walking issues so I can't really hike anymore.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

What would you suggest for someone who is not renting a car as to how to spend the day. There do not seem to be any tours that drive out the Haines Highway like there are tours in Skagway that drive to the Yukon.

I find it very odd that nobody is offering Chilkat Pass tours yet - there would certainly be a call for it.

The options for quality trips are few IMO - the ATV tour, the rafting trip (through the eagle preserve though there are few eagles then), the cultural tour of Klukwan, flightseeing to Glacier Bay or other areas are the ones that come to mind first. The pontoon boat on Chilkoot Lake might be of interest to some, I'm just not one of them. The other major option if none of those are of interest is to take the fast-ferry to Skagway - the ferry trip alone is "worth the price of admission".

Very few people go up the hill, though - there's not really any good reason to. Fort Seward is very photogenic from the bottom of the hill. I go up because I usually have a car and sometimes stay at the Halsingland Hotel in the Fort.

In my research of Haines isn't there a art gallary/museum, Alaska indian business in Ft. Seward? Someone also mentioned that they give tours of the Fort.

Marilyn

In my research of Haines isn't there a art gallary/museum, Alaska indian business in Ft. Seward? Someone also mentioned that they give tours of the Fort.

The Sheldon Museum downtown is excellent. The Indian salmon bake / art gallery at the Fort has never been open when I've been there (it's possible they only open when a big ship is in - that wouldn't be unusual). I've seen a couple of van tours of the Fort advertised (with the Fort as part of a larger tour).

Thank you very much Yukon for this information. Really appreciate it.I know I am going to enjoy Haines. Skagway is nice but been there many times so always wanted to see Haines.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

We have been to Haines twice. the second time with G. daughter and youngest son and his wife, GD's uncle and aunt. We did the eagle preserve each time with Tom Lang author and guide and had a blast. You probably see more eagles at the cannery in Ketchikan but we saw a lot on the float trip to plus other wild life. It was very slow and safe and fun.:)

I do agree with Yukon on the high speed catamaran ride to and from Haines. Spectacular. We were fortunate to have one of the chiefs or elders of the Tlingit's which I guess owns a whole bunch of everything there and he gave us a history of the Tlingit's and Haidas people on the boat ride. That history lesson was worth the price of the boat ride as was the scenery, the Valley of the Eagles float was a bonus.

Mid May could be a little cold but will still be fun and a cruise and let me guess I haven't looked it up, on the Coral. We will be back again in mid August on the Island. Not sure what we will do in Skagway have done the WPRR and Yukon already, might just set on the balcony and admire the scenery.:D

Jack

I would say that the walk from the dock to Ft Seward has an incline to it. Not a hill by any stretch, but my Mom, with her replaced knee and hip and a few other problems, couldn't do it.

I've never had the Native dance group be performing when I'm there--I think that's the part with the salmon bake. But the Indian Arts Center has been open, where they're usually carving something.

Hi Jack(Nascar fan) Believe it or not it is not on the Coral this time even though it is my favorite ship of all. We are going on the Golden rt/ out of Seattle for a quick 7 day. Never have sailed out of Seattle, always S.F. or Vancouver so this is a little change. Also have not been to Tracy Arm since 2003 so wanted to see that again. What happened to you on the panama Canal Coral trip. Did you cancel?

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, Yes we did cancel, should have posted on roll call but had a lot of things going on, sorry. We were really sorry.

Reason. On our Vancouver to Honolulu, Tahitian. Not sure I like the "R" ships. I had some issues with feet and ankles swelling very badly. We stayed in Honolulu a few more days at HHV and I walked too much so it got worse. End result fair amount of nerve damage right foot some to left foot. We were planning on about 20 days total for PC. Dr. said not recommended. Wife said cancel. I now have a mobility problem which I have never ever had before.

Now real reason. We were gone about two weeks total in Hawaii. Gertz was in Country Club, (kennel).

She looked a little scraggly when we got back, trainer said 20 days might be a little long in April. If it were just me and no feeling in feet we would have went anyway. However, we did book the Sapphire for the MR April 18. Not a good trade off but better than nothing.

Did the Golden last year in Feb. good ship, great time was in a covered ms aft.

Been through Seattle a few times and looks like it again in August. Don't like the quick shuttle to Vancouver probably do AMTRACK this time.

Hi Marilyn, Yes we did cancel, should have posted on roll call but had a lot of things going on, sorry. We were really sorry.

Reason. On our Vancouver to Honolulu, Tahitian. Not sure I like the "R" ships. I had some issues with feet and ankles swelling very badly. We stayed in Honolulu a few more days at HHV and I walked too much so it got worse. End result fair amount of nerve damage right foot some to left foot. We were planning on about 20 days total for PC. Dr. said not recommended. Wife said cancel. I now have a mobility problem which I have never ever had before.

Now real reason. We were gone about two weeks total in Hawaii. Gertz was in Country Club, (kennel).

She looked a little scraggly when we got back, trainer said 20 days might be a little long in April. If it were just me and no feeling in feet we would have went anyway. However, we did book the Sapphire for the MR April 18. Not a good trade off but better than nothing.

Did the Golden last year in Feb. good ship, great time was in a covered ms aft.

Been through Seattle a few times and looks like it again in August. Don't like the quick shuttle to Vancouver probably do AMTRACK this time.

Archived