Long Beach or Catalina?

Islanderman

We will be arriving in Los Angeles in early March and spending 3 nights pre-cruise at the Courtyard in Long Beach without a rental car. Based upon comments on this Board, I have booked an LA city tour with Sunseekers and I am trying to decide what to do on with our other day in Long Beach. Is it worth it to make a day trip to Catalina or should we just spend the day exploring in Long Beach? Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

Catalina is such a cool place to visit. I would highly reccomend this day trip. Not too much of anything special about Long Beach. In Catalina when you get off the ferry its a short walk to the center of town (avalon) where you can pick up the city bus (trolley) and it will take you around to see the sights for a nominal fee, I think it was only a couple of bucks. We went up to Wrigley Gardens which is super cool to explore and the drive there takes you past some beautiful scenery, many great photo ops. Catalina is a special place and a wonderful California adventure...and since its a cruise port, you'll feel like you have started your cruise a day early! lol

There are nice lil rests. that are quite afffordable, we eat at this little pizza place on a side rd downtown...and there is a really neat old book store , the owner will talk your ear off! I pick up books for my cruises and home for 50 cents a piece there! I stock up to say the least!

We sail out March 4th on the Golden princess...is this the cruise you will be on???

Have a great cruise.

Shannon

Since you're going in March, a few tips about Catalina:

- The weather may be beautiful and sunny, or just as easily be raining or overcast and 55 degrees. I don't recommend going if the weather is bad. Most of your time will be strolling outdoors.

- There are activities such as scuba diving and snorkeling but the Pacific is never very warm and will be 50-55 degrees in March. A lot of dive and beach rentals may not even be open for the season.

- The channel crossing can get rough during the winter months. Just a caveat if you're prone to seasickness.

Don't get me wrong, Catalina is a great place when the weather is nice. Definitely have a Plan B just in case.

Thanks folks!

I guess the Long Beach Visitors' Bureau doesn't monitor this site. No suggestions from them. LOL

Looks like we'll hope for a real nice day with calm seas for a day trip to Catalina.

Plan B would be to rent a car for a day and return to one or two of the spots that pique our interest on our LA tour.

Rich

Thanks folks!

I guess the Long Beach Visitors' Bureau doesn't monitor this site. No suggestions from them. LOL

Looks like we'll hope for a real nice day with calm seas for a day trip to Catalina.

Plan B would be to rent a car for a day and return to one or two of the spots that pique our interest on our LA tour.

Rich

You can always see if they have a "contact us" on their site. They may even have a brochure they can send you. But you could be cutting it close waiting for a mailing.

• 3 weeks later...

Catalina is nice with the caveats of the weather in March and the fact that if it's a cruise ship day it is absolutely swamped.

Long Beach does have a lot to do and see----the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, The Japanese Garden at CSULB, The Pike, Pine Avenue and Belmont Shore. If you're interested I can give you more details.

Catalina is nice with the caveats of the weather in March and the fact that if it's a cruise ship day it is absolutely swamped.

Long Beach does have a lot to do and see----the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village, The Japanese Garden at CSULB, The Pike, Pine Avenue and Belmont Shore. If you're interested I can give you more details.

Thanks for the offer. I'd love to hear more about Long Beach. We're really up for anything that we could easily reach without a car. We're staying at the Courtyard. What would you consider to be Long Beach's best?

Rich

Thanks for the offer. I'd love to hear more about Long Beach. We're really up for anything that we could easily reach without a car. We're staying at the Courtyard. What would you consider to be Long Beach's best?

Rich

From the Courtyard, the nearest things are the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific and Shoreline Village. Shoreline Village is primarily shops and restaurants situated around a yacht harbor. Nice area for walking, lunch at Springbok Cafe (South African food, excellent fish and chips and homemade beef sausages, curries and a good selection of beer wine in a casual lively atmosphere), drinks and food at the Yardhouse or Parker's Lighthouse (really good seafood and a great view). The Queen Mary of course, is what it is-----maybe a little bit old in the tooth now, but going on it I think is well worth it to a cruiser to give you a different perspective and a contrast with the cruise ships of today. Depending on your timing, they have a lot of special events there----this weekend is a Scottish Festival, they have a Cajun, Brazilian and more there on occasion.

The Aquarium is very good, but I've found most people feel they've had enough in an hour or two.

All of these places are readily accessible by the Passport Shuttle. In addition, LB has an "Aqua Link" Which leaves from the Queen Mary and will take you over to Alamitos Bay where there are several more restaurants. I't a nice little harbor cruise for only a few dollars.

Hope this helps!

From the Courtyard, the nearest things are the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific and Shoreline Village. Shoreline Village is primarily shops and restaurants situated around a yacht harbor. Nice area for walking, lunch at Springbok Cafe (South African food, excellent fish and chips and homemade beef sausages, curries and a good selection of beer wine in a casual lively atmosphere), drinks and food at the Yardhouse or Parker's Lighthouse (really good seafood and a great view). The Queen Mary of course, is what it is-----maybe a little bit old in the tooth now, but going on it I think is well worth it to a cruiser to give you a different perspective and a contrast with the cruise ships of today. Depending on your timing, they have a lot of special events there----this weekend is a Scottish Festival, they have a Cajun, Brazilian and more there on occasion.

The Aquarium is very good, but I've found most people feel they've had enough in an hour or two.

All of these places are readily accessible by the Passport Shuttle. In addition, LB has an "Aqua Link" Which leaves from the Queen Mary and will take you over to Alamitos Bay where there are several more restaurants. I't a nice little harbor cruise for only a few dollars.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like there's more than enough to keep us occupied for a day. We have a free day in town on March 8 (a Sunday), so I'll check out the Queen Mary to see what might be going on. Thanks.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Our 3 night stay in Long Beach worked out great. Took the Sunseekers tour the first day and thoroughly enjoyed our tour with Alberto. Even had a Tom Hanks sighting at Mel's Diner.

A local advised against the crossing to Catalina in March. So we explored Long Beach on the second day. Lots to occupy yourself for a day. Toured the Queen Mary and explored the city. Enjoyed the Pike and Shoreline Village.

Thanks EdSails.

Rich

Archived